Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Used Egg Mates- Large Green Egg - Dont match up

Options
Picked up some used "Egg Mates" today, came home cleaned them up and put them against my egg for a sniff test.

Found out they dont match up to existing bolts in band by about 1/4", i marked in yellow where likely the right match would have been.

Thoughts?
I can take them back to the person in the AM I bought them from- seems likely decision
I can pull the band off- drill that hole and another on on the other side- seem like a complete pain

I am guessing I am looking at an old band style on my egg and not matching to newer bolt patterns.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I have never know them not to be the same. Usually the shelves have slotted holes. Possibly the mates are for a medium? Also, if you keep them, use easy off oven cleaner and those will look brand new. You could drill new holes in the band and move the cinch bolts if you wanted to mess with it. Have to be sure the curvature will work.  Good luck. 
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,113
    Options
    Even the slotted holes don’t cover the distance. They said it was a LGBE
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    Even the slotted holes don’t cover the distance. They said it was a LGBE
    Not trying to be a smart arse, but if you actually fit one end on you will gain some if
    not all of that distance due to the curvature. Not saying it will work, but worth a try maybe. You can prolly tell though. Also, I would be inclined hog out the slots to make them fit before I would re-drill. I have put the original wood ones on current eggs without issue. As far as I know, the holes have not ever changed. 
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,113
    Options
    Got it figured out, only had to file the opening slightly bigger on each side.

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    Those are the first generation of mates.....probably 15+ yrs old.  It's possible the they used a different spacing on them.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Those are the first generation of mates.....probably 15+ yrs old.  It's possible the they used a different spacing on them.
    The old wood slat ones are older. The composite ones came second. 
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    The old wood slat ones are older. The composite ones came second. 
    Yeah, you're right......I had a set of those first gen wood ones.

Remember the goofy looking front shelf?  They called the composite ones "egg shelves".  The wood ones were always "egg mates".

The original wood ones had square bar stock vs. the L-shaped for the stringers (which added the s-hooks).  That change was sometime in 2003-04?