Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Candied Bacon

Options
I’ve seen the posts on here from time to time but never looked into it. Tried for the first time today on a BLT at Rutledge Cab Co. 
Man I am a believer, never tasted anything like it. I can now say without lying too much that Bill Murray (part owner) turned me onto candied bacon. 
I should have paid attention sooner and will be using the search function.

LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
Charleston, SC

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,758
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Love candied bacon ..even better with chocolate ..these are Homey Sriachia 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I've tried making it once.  My results were.... mediocre -- and it still tasted awesome.  I'd say candied bacon is worth learning to make!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • lkapigian
    Options
    blind99 said:
    I've tried making it once.  My results were.... mediocre -- and it still tasted awesome.  I'd say candied bacon is worth learning to make!
    try dehydrating it into bacon jerky,that's how I do it .....
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    one of my best desert recipes.

crisp bacon on med heat

While bacon is crisping, have a double boiler with melting milk chocolate.

Once bacon is done, pat all of the grease off and then fully coat in the milk chocolate slurry and place separately on a wax paper.

Place the wax paper laced bacon in the freezer for 24 hours.

after dinner the next day, pull out the bacon and place the bacon in a plastic bag.

Pound the bacon with a rolling pin.

take your chocolate covered bacon bits and sprinkle on vanilla bean ice cream.

look at your significant others face as she/he partakes in something which makes no sense, but he/she enjoys it immensely. 

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• lkapigian
    Options
    billt01 said:

crisp bacon on med heat

Once bacon is done, pat all of the grease off and then fully coat in the milk chocolate slurry and place separately on a wax paper.

after dinner the next day, pull out the bacon and place the bacon in a plastic bag.

look at your significant others face as she/he partakes in something which makes no sense, but he/she enjoys it immensely. 

^^^^^^^^Like^^^^^^^
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • BigreenGreg
    Options
    Sounds delicious, might break this out on the neighbors at the next party. Thanks.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    billt01 said:

crisp bacon on med heat

I'm definitely trying this but I'm going to sprinkle peanut butter powder over it when the chocolate is still wet. I'm a sucker for anything peanut butter/chocolate/vanilla. And then bacon. What could go wrong?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    billt01 said:

crisp bacon on med heat

I'm definitely trying this but I'm going to sprinkle peanut butter powder over it when the chocolate is still wet. I'm a sucker for anything peanut butter/chocolate/vanilla. And then bacon. What could go wrong?
    Well, I would envision having nothing to share with anyone by the end of it all.  I would have a gut ache and would probably feel a bit of shame/guilt.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Love the stuff but it's messy when I make it. I use brown sugar with chili powder mixed in. Dredge the bacon and place on a wire rack in an aluminum pan with foil under. Bake in the oven. Don't burn the sugar. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Bill Murray comes to Bardstown every fall at the Kentucky Bourbon Festival, and buys much of our country hams and other pork products.

It would be sort of cool to discover if any of that reached the public via his investment in RCC.

I doubt it, but he does buy a SL of specialty pork products, while hanging out having a pour or two.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky