Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OhTee - Help With Deck/Patio Ideas

I know I know, some folks hate the OT stuff but at least this is just a degree removed from cooking with fire...

Anyway I have an aging deck on a SW facing home that gets absolutely drenched with sun and is basically unusable during the summer months. I got an estimate on replacing the deck with a 335sq/ft patio with a shed roof but it was pretty spendy. I still might make that investment because I'm likely going to be here for ~ 20 years but wanted to see if you all had any thoughts. Also want to put a walkway in that connects the deck/patio to the garage door and the garage door to the driveway in the front of the home, I hate walking on wet grass in the morning (first world problems).

I wish the builder would have put my ac unit on the side of the home. I've considered looking into getting that moved but it seems costly/invasive.

Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Sunsetter awnings are an economical option compared to a covered area. Moving the condensing unit isn’t that big of a deal. 
  • The retractable awnings that mount to your home above the window are nice. You just cannot leave them extended all the time. https://www.advaningshop.com/
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • Sunsetter awnings are an economical option compared to a covered area. Moving the condensing unit isn’t that big of a deal. 
    Hmmm. Since the back of my house is staggered a bit, I guess I would just need to get 2 separate awnings if I wanted the whole deck covered.

The SunSetter 1000XT  claims to handle light rain, anyone have experience with that?
  • DoubleEgger
    Sunsetter awnings are an economical option compared to a covered area. Moving the condensing unit isn’t that big of a deal. 
    Hmmm. Since the back of my house is staggered a bit, I guess I would just need to get 2 separate awnings if I wanted the whole deck covered.

The SunSetter 1000XT  claims to handle light rain, anyone have experience with that?
    @caliking
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    you could add a pergola with sliding awning over the deck. a little more dressy than the sunsetter but not as great as a patio with shed roof. the sunsetter does not take wind well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • i searched tons for these type of awnings. while it may handle, I would not count on it for rain protection. They are very light weight. They are not intended to be extending in strong wind or rain. In fact, you are supposed to retract them whenever not in use. You can also get motorized ones with wind/rain sensors that will auto retract when sensed. 

I thought the sunsetters looked a little too traditional/country, but you can remove the "ruffles" to modernize it a bit. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I looked into retractable awnings a few months ago.

Don't count on a Sunsetter for any rain protection. They don't stand up to wind very well. I think they are made of extruded aluminium. I did find another brand that was made of steel, but was also more expensive. 

If you do plan to install Sunsetter awnings, the dealer here was a joke. Tried to be slick and all that, thinking I would take whatever he said as gospel. Costco sells Sunsetter awnings, at much better prices, but with somewhat fewer choices for fabric, etc. They sell the accessories too (rain sensor, wireless module). Installation can be DIY, or $800 if installed by another local awning company here. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    edited September 2019
    what sucks about the motorized ones is an ass ugly cord hanging down. that is, unless you install an outlet right next to the motor. Kind of complicates the installation. I am in the market for two of them for my home. I have priced them as much as 10 grand each to 700 each. It is hard to tell what the difference is without holding them in-hand. One thing to look at is the overall weight of the entire product. The more you spend, they seem to be made of more/different stuff. For example, stainless steel, powder coated steel, aluminum, extruded aluminum, and then there are the installation bits. Some have chincy brackets, some way more robust brackets. 

I have a sweet balcony overlooking a lake, facing west, and on sunny days I cannot use it. It is soooo hot on it. About 15 degrees warmer than the surrounding areas. The big windows reflect all the sun right at the deck. I will be getting my awnings from https://www.advaningshop.com/ or costco..not sure where. the sunsetter through costco cost more.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    A mans deck should always be bigger than ones house. Expand when replacing......and don’t hold back on the expenses. Make sure you budget for the wife’s new dinning room to ease the post build burden. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Yeah a big part of me wants to just say effit and get it all now. 
  • We can help you spend your money. I would be tempted to say not to half step, do what you really want to do. But you have to deal with the holder of the purse.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Go all in.  Get some of it covered for rain.  The extra shade on the house will save you so much in AC bills, the deck will pay for itself at some point.  :wink:
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • In this situation wifey ain't holding me back, it's my inner miser thinking about compound interest....

kl8ton said:
    Go all in.  Get some of it covered for rain.  The extra shade on the house will save you so much in AC bills, the deck will pay for itself at some point.  :wink:
    Yeah my plan was to come out 16' from the most set back part of the house and cover 335' sq/ft or so, then have a rounded 8' x 23' segment on the front for sunny stuff.
  • a 16 foot extension from the home??? you don't want an awning to do that. that is huge.
  • a 16 foot extension from the home??? you don't want an awning to do that. that is huge.
    I should have prefaced that with my plan for an actual roof, not an awning. 
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    My outdoor unit was in the backyard for years.  Whenever I planned to spend time out on the deck I would raise the thermostat so the unit wouldn’t kick on - eventually, it would.  About 8 years ago I needed to replace it - had the new one installed on the side...much, much better.  Move it!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • My outdoor unit was in the backyard for years.  Whenever I planned to spend time out on the deck I would raise the thermostat so the unit wouldn’t kick on - eventually, it would.  About 8 years ago I needed to replace it - had the new one installed on the side...much, much better.  Move it!
    It's not too noticeable from the deck now so maybe I'll just follow your lead and move it when I'm forced to replace. I'm more so just curious why the home builder would put it in the back in front of the nice big windows instead of tucked away on the side...
  • My outdoor unit was in the backyard for years.  Whenever I planned to spend time out on the deck I would raise the thermostat so the unit wouldn’t kick on - eventually, it would.  About 8 years ago I needed to replace it - had the new one installed on the side...much, much better.  Move it!
    It's not too noticeable from the deck now so maybe I'll just follow your lead and move it when I'm forced to replace. I'm more so just curious why the home builder would put it in the back in front of the nice big windows instead of tucked away on the side...
    Probably a shorter copper run. Copper = $$
  • maybe property line offsets? maybe the lines were shorter? 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    My outdoor unit was in the backyard for years.  Whenever I planned to spend time out on the deck I would raise the thermostat so the unit wouldn’t kick on - eventually, it would.  About 8 years ago I needed to replace it - had the new one installed on the side...much, much better.  Move it!
    If they are running the lines in a joist space in an unfinished basement, they will just stay in the one rather than drilling through multiple or hanging below the joists.  Looking at your house, I would guess the floor joists run front to back.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Given that you're thinking of being in the house for some time, I would go for a pergola or something like that, with cover for rain protection. 

I'm assuming that since you're here, you enjoy cooking and being outside a fair bit. Make the space what you want it to be. You (and your family/friends) will enjoy it. Its why we work and make money. 

I bought 3 eggs and then shortly thereafter ended up spending about $8K to make a space for them and other cooking gadgets. I haven't regretted it for even a minute. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DoubleEgger
    You could get one of those sail type fabric covers made out of sunbrella fabric. Definitely more fashionable than the Sunsetter I mentioned earlier. You’d get good rain protection and longevity with Sunbrella. I see them installed on docks around the lake. 

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Plant a tree?
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    edited September 2019
    Treed are only good for burning =)