Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I will never forget where i was on 9/11/01

its hard to believe it has been 18 years since that day and i still can remember vividly where i was.  i know it will show my age but i was sitting in biology class taking a test and the teacher had the TV cart turned around watching it.  i will never be able to forget that and never forget the people that lost everything that day.  God Bless.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    #NeverForget
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • I’m the same way. I remember grabbing my friends and driving to a hill in our north jersey town to watch smoking rising over Manhattan. God bless our heroes and first responders. Never forget. 
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    edited September 2019
    I was driving to calculus II class in college when I heard it reported that a small single engine place crashed into a tower. Then I heard that a second plane crashed, but they were unsure if it was the same report of the first plane.

It really changed many aspects of daily life for this country.The stories of the people who worked there trapped and the rescue workers getting caught up are some of the saddest ever. I still cannot even fathom how it was for the people in the planes.

I still get so ANGRY when I hear all the BS about how it was all faked and there were no planes and it was missiles and/or planted explosives. 
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    2nd floor of Kindred Hospital in Greensboro NC taking field measurements for an elevator modernization. We were measuring the door operator at the exact moment. 
  • acolle
    acolle Posts: 133
    I was in the shower (west coast) when my then GF came in and said "your phone is blowing up"... Jumped out answered, friends saying turn on your TV ASAP. Sat on my couch (wet) with a towel around my waist watching in disbelief. 
    Moved from upper left to Denver, CO | BGE LG & MMX + Kotaigrill [Hibachi]
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    edited September 2019
    Radio on the way to school. I walked in school and found a tv. Two or three other people watching with me. Walked to the same tv after my class an hour later and the room was filled with people shoulder to shoulder watching it. 

I also remember standing with my dad on their back patio and hearing military jets that night as everything else was grounded. You could almost hear a pin drop on a usually busy road nearby.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I was in GAITHERSBURG MD......having made a last minute travel change arriving the night prior. My original plans was to fly into Regan airport that morning. Was erie stepping outside hearing all the emergency vehicles responding to the Pentagon disaster. Could not get through the cell phone network as they were jammed with volume. 

All said, I am traveling by air today without fear......Osama, glad you got what was coming to you. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • REB17
    REB17 Posts: 152
    Calling on a paper mill here in Richmond, fortunate not to be in the air, as I usually flew weekly.  When air travel did resume, the planes, airports, and hotels were virtually empty.
    LGBE-1999, MBGE-2003, SBGE-2007

Midlothian, VA
  • #NeverForget. God Bless the USA. I was playing golf at Royal Troon in Scotland..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Had just pulled into the parking lot of my then job in Memphis when it was mentoned on the radio. Small plane they said. Thought how odd that was.

Went inside and fired up my computer and saw the impact in the tower and knew that that was not a small plane.

Then the second one hit. I almost vomited.

Watched in horror on an office TV with my employees for awhile.

Sent them all home, obviously.

Weird living in Memphis and no FedEx flights for a few days.

It's also my brother's birthday. We talk about that day every year when I call him, as I did on 9-11-01.

#neverforget

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • I was working on a tractor at the farm I grew up working on. I was laying on the floor when we heard it on the shop radio. I was 19. When the first plane hit, I thought about years earlier when my grandfather told me about a pilot accidentally crashing his small plane into the Empire State Building. I figured this had to be a similar instance. Obviously learning later that it wasn’t. No matter what I did that day, I was never out of earshot of a radio or tv. I walked around with a lump in my throat for weeks. I’ll also never forget that in the following weeks and months, everyone seemed to be a little nicer and you couldn’t drive 500 ft without seeing an American flag. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited September 2019
    I was getting ready for the day. Sitting on my bed watching I think it was Peter Jennings on ABC. I was a Senior in High School. My school was planning on taking a trip to NYC that Winter and the WTC was going to be one of our stops. I sat there watching the footage live and when the 2nd plane hit, I like a lot of people thought that was a replay. The rest of that day was spent at school watching updates in every class. Its odd talking to my son and daughter about it. Thank god they are at least learning about it in school.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• I was working in the Dining room on my job when the wife yelled for me to come down the family room as a plane hit a tower in New York. We watched this unfold and saw the second plane fly into the other tower. I knew at that instant that it was no accident. We heard later that one had hit the Pentagon and then the crash landing. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    ...Osama, glad you got what was coming to you. 
    He didn’t get enough in my opinion.  Never forget 9/11 or May 2nd. 

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited September 2019
    I was at work with my coworkers gathered around the tv by the time the second plane hit. Spent the rest of the day watching updates and wondering what was next. We all know how that day changed this country and the world. I wonder from time to time how things would be different had it never happened. 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • I was working in the office with a stack of stuff to data input.  It was deadline time and I was crunching numbers, listening to the radio and weeping.
    Flint, Michigan
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    edited September 2019
    I was 27 years old, wife very pregnant with first child, me working and finishing my degree, taking my last class Tuesday-Thursday 8am. Heard it on the radio as soon as I got in the car, had an hour drive from MTSU to my house and listened to NPR the whole way. 

On Friday am we were on one of the first flights out of Nashville post 9/11 going to a friends wedding in Albuquerque. I’ll never forget the roar of cheering when we pushed back from the gate, or the damper it out on their wedding. Hard to have fun in the aftermath 
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,427
    I was in a Windows server class in the basement of a holiday inn.  No cell signal.  None of us knew until we broke for lunch.  I drove down the road at lunch and started walking around a car dealers lot looking at cars.  A sales guy... confused.... asks me if he can help me.  I tell him I'm just browsing.   He asks if I know what happened.  I say what do you mean?  He brings me inside and we watch the news on a TV he had in his cubicle.  I never thought about it from his view point until today.  . . 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • I was working in the office with a stack of stuff to data input.  It was deadline time and I was crunching numbers, listening to the radio and weeping.
    The same thing happens to me every time Toby Keith comes on.  That man just has a way with the music.
    The same thing happens to me every time Toby Keith comes on.  That man just has a way with the music.

Flint, Michigan
  • I was at home.  Watched it on TV until I had to go to work.  I was 911 dispatching the rest of the day.  It was eerie.  The usual first-world complaints stopped.
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    I was home watching the news and saw the second one hit, for those of you who have not been to New York or Ground Zero, it s a very sobering experience in the underground museum. Just being in New York and seeing how everything is laid out and the logistics of how the first responders got there is very Humbling to say the least. A tour of all the Fire Stations and the memorialized Helmets on the fallen heros on the outside walls of those stations will make your heart sink

It is nice the nation remembers once a year , but it would nice if we were all unified today like we were that day 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    @lkapigian Trust me,  I am internally well unified every day against those low lifes and all associated with them.  I will never forgive and never forget.  Going straight to he11 is too nice for those involved and their ilk of today. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    lousubcap said:
    @lkapigian Trust me,  I am internally well unified every day against those low lifes and all associated with them.  I will never forgive and never forget.  Going straight to he11 is too nice for those involved and their ilk of today. 

Me as well @lousubcap , me a swell
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • I had returned to college after graduation and working for a while.  Had left an 8am class and gone to the student union.  As I walked in, I saw others standing around watching the TVs.  It was then I realized what was going on.  The university eventually opened up the large meeting rooms w/projector TVs and many students sat there watching the news.  Many were crying.  I later returned to my apartment (had no TV service) and turned on the radio and just listened until later that night when Pres W spoke.  As others have said, it was eerie.  Haven't discussed with my daughter yet, but will at some point.  God bless all innocent that lost their lives that day.  Never Forget!  
    Stuart
    Burlington/Alamance County, NC
  • NJ_BBQ
    NJ_BBQ Posts: 137
    I was scheduled to be at a morning event in the restaurant at the top floor of  Tower 1 and changed plans the day before. The morning of, I was across the river in NJ watching. Many friends, colleagues, and neighbors were lost that day. Never Forget!!!
    Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB
  • I was in math class freshman year of high school. We watched TV all day about it. 5 years later I was in Iraq 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• My daughter was due to be born on 09/11/01. She decided enough was enough and came 3 weeks early. On that morning I was in my office, (in the same office today) and my wife was at home with my 2 year old son and 3 week old daughter. She called to tell me about the first plane, and while she was telling me the second plane hit. 

When she was telling me about the first plane I was thinking aviation accident. When she saw the second plane hit I knew then that life would be different. For a brief moment I was afraid for my kids. After that it was sadness and anger. 

Never ever forget. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I was on a man made island (North Star Island) in the Arctic Ocean working for British Petroleum/Amoco at the time. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.