Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rebuild or purchase new band

Options
about half the clinch studds broke during a cook, so close to losing the hot dome.  so how much are the new large bands and did you like them after replacing the old ones. im just not sold yet with the lack of height but not sure i will miss that
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    I bought them last month but haven’t switched the old out yet. 

I think I paid $125.00??? 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    I paid $119 for mine, but like @dmchicago, I have yet to switch them out.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    You guys got a good deal.  Saturday 9/7 the price was $150 in L'ville at an authorized dealer.  The install looks very straight-forward and simple but I am waiting for the associated new dome for the install.  Friggin gravity  B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    I was able to get mine warrantied but fully expected to buy them initially. Great upgrade IMO and no loss of use in the new opening design 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
     I got the new style bands under warranty as my old ones would never hold. I never regretted it at all. Opens plenty far enough for anything I have ever done 
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    I changed mine out with a new warranty base. The new warranty base ended up not having a square mounting area for the band. It was canted in at the top and the band couldn't be tightened. It would just slide up the base when tightened. After more patience than I posses. I finally got another new base and had the worst time getting the new band adjusted so it would close tightly all the way around the circumference. I was basically told to lose the spacers and go by eye. I finally got it to an acceptable spot.
    The new band (year old) may grow on me but the whole experience makes me hate it still! I do miss the extra opening at times FWIW.
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    I was able to get mine warrantied but fully expected to buy them initially. Great upgrade IMO and no loss of use in the new opening design 
    Did the same for my LG. Dealer warrantied them. Dome lined up much better, no more underbite.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Go with the new. I really like mine much better, and it seems less likely that you will be picking the dome off the ground, 1 piece at a time.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    Options
    After replacing all of the nuts/bolts on the old band and STILL not getting a decent alignment I switched to the new design.  At the same time I replaced my gasket (High-Que) and Grate (Smokeware).  It feels like a new egg!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Went with the new bands awhile back. So much better. Do a rutland gasket from @RRP while you got the dome off as well if you haven't already.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I think my next BGE related purchase will be the new bands. Alignment has never been great with the existing bands, but it seals up so not too concerned. Just anal retentive enough that it still bothers me somewhat.
    Stillwater, MN
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Went with the new bands awhile back. So much better. Do a rutland gasket from @RRP while you got the dome off as well if you haven't already.
    Been holding off installing the new bands but just ordered a new gasket from Ron so I will be doing exactly this soon!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Giving up on the old band system on my large.  Can't deal with the constant underbite within 3-4 cooks of adjustment.  May stop by ACE on the way home.  I'll let you know how much it costs.  I also have a rutland in the laundry room from last year (maybe 2) that'll get installed at the same time.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Just posted this in the What are you doing now thread:

I gave up on my original bands a couple of months ago and got a new set.  First few cooks it was fantastic. Now I have some smoke leaking from the rear. And yes, I know I tightened those bolts down.  I guess I have to loosen the top ones and push down the dome. Kinda hate to do it because these bolts bent pretty good, but I guess it has to be done.  I have to get a spare set and have them nearby “just in case”. 

I think my bands were $120-something   including the tax.  Never even thought of trying to use the warranty for these. I should have at least tried. Then again I went to a “new to me dealer”.  I must have 6-8 of them within an hour of me. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    @lousubcap what's the new dome you speak of? And BTW  - happy 20K post man! 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • lousubcap
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    @lousubcap what's the new dome you speak of? And BTW  - happy 20K post man! 
    Below is the origin of your inquiry...
    Should you scroll up a few entries you will find an entry about a MIL visit and a paella cook.
    Here's the close to finish cook after one he!! of an audible and still finished within 5 minutes of the target time:
    And here's why the pan exceeds the diameter of the SBGE  (15.5 " pan which I ensured an air gap (using 3 lag bolts) around the perimeter):
    That would be the LBGE running at around 400*F on the dome when I went to shut the lower vent for the above paella cook and the sideways motion took off.  Making a valiant effort to salvage and then realizing this wasn't gonna work, away it went.  Garden hose to take care of the fire.  Base is salvageable along with the ring.  Need a new dome, hinge assembly and fire box.  Just my lucky day.  Dealer does not have a dome in stock.
    So for those of you who wonder about the value of a second cooker (pedigree be da-ned) a back-up is quite handy.  Never thought I would press it into service in this fashion but the paella turned out great. 
    No finish pics but a lesson above.  FWIW-

No the band was not loose-I was attempting to shut the lower vent around the last 1/2" ( attempted to clean the track the day before-failed for sure!) with the dome full open and applied enough force to cause the whole rig to recognize gravity and head for lower ground.  Base is fine as the first impact point is a mulched area with plants but then a concrete patio entered the game. 
    And thanks for the 20K note-old and now minimal hobbies lead to forum run-time. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Just to get off the 20K number.  Old and slow here and looking at a fractionally  new LBGE soon.  $hit happens!!
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I paid $95 in Tampa. Waaay better than the old ones. It’s worth it.
    Dunedin, FL
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I've been back and forth re: obsessing about the underbite, but I've tried to not let it bug me too much for the past few years. I try to make adjustments to fix the problem once a year or so, and then give up.  

Does it really make any functional difference? I haven't noticed any issues as such with my cooks, either higher temp grilling, or a pork butt I smoked not too long ago. It could be that I unknowingly work around/compensate for air leaks, etc and thats why I haven't noticed a significant problem. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    I have not found the lack of height of the new bands to be an issue. I love the tabs that keep the dome from falling out.
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    caliking said:
    I've been back and forth re: obsessing about the underbite, but I've tried to not let it bug me too much for the past few years. I try to make adjustments to fix the problem once a year or so, and then give up.  

Does it really make any functional difference? I haven't noticed any issues as such with my cooks, either higher temp grilling, or a pork butt I smoked not too long ago. It could be that I unknowingly work around/compensate for air leaks, etc and thats why I haven't noticed a significant problem. 

Made absolutely no difference to me on any cook functional wise. My problem was more mechanical. Every time I did pizza the bands would slip/move so much the hinge would bind on my table and then I couldn't open the lid fully. Having piece of mind that the dome cant fall out now is nice too.
  • speed51133
    Options
    i have a new band and an underbite. this is on an xl....
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    i have a new band and an underbite. this is on an xl....
    You need to loosen the two slotted nuts on each side of the top band and adjust it front to back
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• speed51133
    Options
    I have done that countless times. you also need to make sure the bands are spaced properly from the edges. Getting this all done while the egg is closed is fairly simple. Once you open it though, it magically moves. every friggin time. 
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.