Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spencer roast?

Local market had a BOGO on these. They looked really nice with some great marbling. I grabbed a couple now I need some ideas on how to cook. I think a low and slow would be more appropriate than a bit and fast. Looks like there is tendon running thru it. 
Any ideas?  Tips?

Comments

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Is it a Spenser rib roast (prime rib) or a Spenser chuck roast (chuck)?  The tendon you mention makes me think it is a chuck roast. If not labeled, do you have a picture?  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Chuck roast. Here’s a pic 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    There you have it - cook it like a chuck roast.  Low and slow and as a pepper stout beef or SV it for a looooong time. (This I have not personally done.)  If you treat it like a rib or sirloin roast it will probably end up being pretty tough. 

Or you could even grind it for burgers. 

Post the results regardless of how you do it. 
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Was thinking smoking for a few hours then braising it for a while to get it to pull for sandwiches. I’ll see if anyone else posts any cooks. Thanks @Sea2Ski
    also have to look for a pepper stout beef. I’ve seen it mentioned here but have never done it. 
  • One of my favorite braises for chucks and short ribs is to smoke it for a few hours, then into the Dutch over with a softened block of cream cheese, mushrooms and about 3/4-1 cup of beef broth. Cook it at 250-300 until it falls apart with a fork. Serve over rice, egg noodles, on sandwiches, whatever. 
  • very nice marbling  . . . great to see after cook pics
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I did one in the SV...25 hours..at 135⁰F..then threw it on the egg for a quick smoke and sear.
    Best chuck I ever made in my life, by far.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Finally cooked me up. Smoked with Fogo and some apple wood. Got to about 150/160 then put in a pan with peppers, onions and a can of Guinness. Had a great flavor and was really tender. Odd thing is that the meat was tough to pull but was great.