Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg Owner

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got my egg put together. Any ideas on what to cook first and how I need to do it. Like I say this is all new to me.

Comments

• David Parks,
    Hi Dave, I am a new owner also.. One week new. I would suggest the spatchcock chicken.. you can't go wrong with this.
    I did it, and it was so easy and good.. [p]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

• Hasenpheffer
    Options
    David Parks,
    To make it official you've got to try your first low and slow on the egg - I suggest a nice boston butt! Happy cooking ;-)

• EggheadTexan
    Options
    David Parks,
    Try the rib eye steaks. It was my first cook, very easy and turned out excellent.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    David Parks,[p]Welcome to the neighborhood. This is the place to ask questions and share what you know.[p]I always recommend pork steaks for a first cook. You can use various set-ups, the pit temp can swing anywheres from 250° to 350°, you can't over smoke them and the doneness range is from 160° to 190°. They will take any seasoning you can dish out and they don't need sauce or glaze at the end of the cook unless you like them that way. A link to my pork steak page is below so you can get a visual and some tips.[p]<font size="3.5" color="green">~t<html><font size="3.5" color="red">h<html><font size="3.5" color="blue"><font size="3.5" color="blue">i<html><html><font size="3.5" color="orange">r<html><font size="3.5" color="green">d<html><font size="3.5" color="red">e<html><font size="3.5" color="blue">y<html><font size="3.5" color="orange">e<font size="3.5"<font size="3.5" color="red">~<html><font size=3.5" color="black"><html>
    [ul][li]Pork Steak[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • David Parks,
    I think I would Try a Big fat jucy steak get your grill hot as it will go and trow them babies on there for 3min on each side and they will be mediuem to mediuem rare they will be great. make sure you get one the is a atleast 1" to 1.5"s thick. You can never go wrong with one of these. I would sugest a Ribie or Fliea.
    Hope every thing goes well
    Ryan

• David Parks,
    welcome to the kingdom!
    there are several websites by fellow big green egg owners and they all have a plethora of information. see the link below for one of the best sources of information and links to others.[p]i'd say cook whatever you are comfortable with for your first few cooks. once you get the hang of fire building and temperature control, your imagination will be your only hurdle.

[ul][li]plethora of information[/ul]