Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

message for bobby que

char buddy
char buddy Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Bobby Que, about that grouper recipe you gave the other day.[p]You said get the BGE to 350* then cook the grouper until done with nice grill marts. Just a guess, but how much time should I expect for the the grouper to get done?[p]I going off to the store now to get some grouper and give that recipe a try, but I've never done grouper before and I would some kind of time estimate.[p]Thanks. [p]

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    char buddy, pulling from another recipe, "I cooked the fish over fresh lump at 400 to 450 for about 12 minutes." At 350 I would guess about 7 to 8 minutes a side. However, that may be a little long for my tastes.

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Wise One,[p]Thanks. I am going to pick up the fish now.[p]the pecan wood is great, BTW and something special is coming your way in a bit.
  • Bobby Que
    Bobby Que Posts: 50
    char buddy,[p]Cooking time depends on thickness of fish and heat, and on the degree of "doneness" that you like.[p]A one inch filet of grouper should be done with 5 minutes (MOL) per side at 350 degrees with a short dwell based on doneness when you check it on the second side. I find fish a lot harder to cook predictably then beef or pork.[p]Chef Eric used a wooden skewer to check the doneness. He judged this by feel of the skewer when he removed it from the fish. The skewer should come out easilly. I like to look at a piece that I use a fork on. I peer in to the middle of the fish filet to see how white it is (no slightly red juice).[p]
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    char buddy, we just had a pretty good storm here last week so my yard is littered with great pieces of smoking wood. Let me know when you need more.