Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT...Cluster Flies...OT

Options
Good morning all. Does anyone have any experience with getting rid of Cluster Flies.This is something I never new even existed. I have googled but just wondered if anyone on the forum had a tried and proven remedy..
Greensboro North Carolina
When in doubt Accelerate....

Comments

• speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    Please explain. No idea what you are talking about
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Please explain. No idea what you are talking about
    From what I have gathered they find their way into your house via gaps in the siding and lay eggs in attic or ceiling space then when it warms up they hatch and find their way into your house normally congregating in clusters on a warm side of the house i.e. west facing windows or sky lights, they are harmless but such a pain to get rid off. First step is to try and seal all the areas where they might be getting in, but on a house that is almost impossible. So I am looking for anyone with experience on getting rid of them in the house.. I hope that makes sense..
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,975
    Options

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    I don't know if they were cluster flies but a few years ago we had a puzzling infestation of flies for a couple of weeks.
    Bug Assault weapon wasn't enough.
    We ended up hanging some of those old timey sticky ribbon things in a few places and a light that had adhesive pads and that cleared them up pretty quickly.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I don't know if they were cluster flies but a few years ago we had a puzzling infestation of flies for a couple of weeks.
    Bug Assault weapon wasn't enough.
    We ended up hanging some of those old timey sticky ribbon things in a few places and a light that had adhesive pads and that cleared them up pretty quickly.

Thank you...I was thinking that would be my next step.. They are a pain in the arse...
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    Google seems to have a lot of remedies 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Man I hate those things. Family used to have a farmhouse that had them. We just had these sticky tapes on the windows when they came out. They’re the stupidest flies ever. They don’t even go look for your food, they just try to get out the closed window!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    had them once in a closed off electrical panel cabinet, that was 13 years ago, they never came back. i think it was early spring when i opened that box. there were 50 to a hundred socked up in an area the size of a softball. thought maybe a mouse had died in the wall but it must have been these
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I'm sure there is a soap for them...
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL