Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Adore party pooper?

Options
Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,527
edited September 2019 in Off Topic
Attended a potluck couple of days ago, took my Adore for appeteaser pizza. Planned on cooking ten but decided to pull the plug after seven because the host 'hinted' that guests won't have room left for the feast! It was a Hit.

Managed to get a photo of a plain cheese one, topped by a volunteer kid...

canuckland

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,343
    Options
    Great looking crust 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Canugghead
    edited September 2019
    Options
    @caliking agree absolutely, in this case the host is my SIL+D, so it's all good! btw, he made a killer brisket on his less than a week old Traeger, unthinkable for someone who never had a smoker. 
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    OTOH, if you have the reputation of making decent food, they kind of expect it!  It is a delicate balancing act.
    canuckland
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    1) Great cook

2) On the issue of supplementing the host’s cooking, I’ve found that quality is expected and desired - to the max.  But quantity is where you can go wrong.  It’s OK if your appetizer is better than the entree. It’s not OK if people aren’t hungry when the entree comes and they don’t eat it. It goes against my nature to purposefully limit portions to amounts that are small and reasonable but I’ve found that is best. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Canugghead
    edited September 2019
    Options
    @FoghornThanks. You nailed it on #2, most people had 1 slice, some had 2, and the pies were small.  In fact, a late-arriving guest had to settle for half a slice because I just pulled the plug reluctantly and didn't want to make pie #8. And no one had problem eating the mains and desserts, thankfully!
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    caliking said:
    I have found that I need to temper my enthusiasm when doing away cooks, keeping the host’s sensibilities in mind. It’s game on if I know the host well enough to appreciate something like traveling with a pizza oven and homemade dough.

Otherwise, it’s akin to making sure you don’t wear a dress more spectacular than the bride’s at a wedding. 
    Come to my house and don’t be bashful.  

Both of you 

I have little shame when going to/cooking at an egghead’s place. Especially the folks I know. So it’s on!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    I have found that I need to temper my enthusiasm when doing away cooks, keeping the host’s sensibilities in mind. It’s game on if I know the host well enough to appreciate something like traveling with a pizza oven and homemade dough.

Otherwise, it’s akin to making sure you don’t wear a dress more spectacular than the bride’s at a wedding. 

Both of you 

I have little shame when going to/cooking at an egghead’s place. Especially the folks I know. So it’s on!
    FTFY @caliking

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    caliking said:
    caliking said:

Both of you 

FTFY @caliking

You know me too well :smiley:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    caliking said:

I know exactly what you mean. Years ago we were invited to a neighborhood pot luck party. In my unbridled enthusiasm I took 36 ABTs and 48 Georgia RedWings. It turned out to be only 15 couples attending versus what we thought would have been 30 or more couples. Unbeknownst to us the hostess fixed wings which we heard were horrible, much less saw, people discreetly trashing!

Always nice to take home empty containers, but passing on hostess's food can be embarrassing.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.