Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I don't get the Sous-vide thing

Options

Comments

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Acn said:
    I don’t mean any offense, but it seems like lame stuff to post on a site about cooking with fire & smoke on a BGE.  I got a buddy that swears by it, but it seems like another way to boil.  Overrated French bs.  You want it tender??? Go low & slow.  
    One of the best things about this site is actually how people feel comfortable about talking about other cooking methods and tools.  That’s how many people learn about them in the first place.  Not to mention that many people combine a SV start with an Egg finish.  I don’t mean any offense, but try to have a more open mind.
    Plus, if it was only egged food, the front page would be entirely pulled pork and spatchcocked chicken, each with 6 views, and this place would be a ghost town.
    Actually I would respectfully disagree with this statement.  If I only cooked pulled pork and spatched chicken my egg would sit idle 90% of the time.  Many people here treat their egg like a stove and step way outside the so called “BBQ”.   

To the OP - SV is a tool that works great when needed.  Just like your toolbox doesn’t only have one wrench.  It’s not the savior tool but works great and is fun learning different avenues of cooking.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Another example...
    Today is opening day of dove season. In years past I’ve had a lot of family in for opening weekend. We stay out until late, then have to get home and clean birds, put our gear away, shower and clean up - and then eat. 
    What if we want steaks? It’s just EASIER to have steaks in the SV hot tub all afternoon and then we can cook whenever we feel like it. Want another round of beer? Hey Gary, can we push back supper another 30 minutes? No worries... I’m ready when they are. 
    I really prefer to reverse sear a steak but in situations like this I’ll SV stuff just because it makes my life easier. YMMV
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • WildmanWilson
    Options
    I keep reading about pasteurization. Doesn't food need to be at least 145 degrees to do that? How is it pasteurized? The temperature danger zone is food temperatures between 41 and 135 degrees the way I recall. Don't you feel leery about cooking lower than 135?

It would seem this technique has a following so there must be something to it.  
  • WildmanWilson
    Options
    What if I told you you can take a chuck roast and make it like prime rib.  

I'd say that looks great.
  • texaswig
    Options
    @tarheelmatt you mean it would literally pay for itself the first time you used it instead of buying a prime rib? That's amazing.please tell us more.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Sorry for posting such lame bs on a site about cooking with smoke and fire on a bge
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Sorry for posting such lame bs on a site about cooking with smoke and fire on a bge
    You should be ashamed! 

analyze adapt overcome

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    As per @SciAggie’s example above, I found myself suddenly and unexpectedly hosting company last night. Had no idea what time they’d get there. Took a few filet mignons and rib eyes out of the freezer and threw them into a pot with the sous vide machine. Made a salad and prepped some potatoes as well as a carmelized onion and blue cheese sauce for the steak. Took a best guess as to when to start the potatoes and when the guests showed up, I seared the steaks and served. Incredible, no fuss dinner. 
  • texaswig
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker you're a horrible person.

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You should be ashamed! 
    about so many things. Sadly, I rarely am :) 
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    You should be ashamed! 
    about so many things. Sadly, I rarely am :) 
    And dare I bring up all your discussions about “Dishwashers”.  This is an egg dedicated forum. LMAO 

analyze adapt overcome

• BGEChicago
    Options
    I bought one, it was on sale but I really didn't think I would use it that often. Turns out I use it more than my Egg... I travel quite a bit and eat out often so when I'm home there is 0% chance of eating out. With this being said, my bride and I never can agree on a protein mainly because I would eat beef or pork ribs 7 nights a week, she eats this crazy dish called salad. 

So tonight I'm throwing on 5 racks of ribs, eating 1/2 and freezing the rest, the remaining ribs will be gone in 2 weeks... A SV and good chamber sealer are your best friend....
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    edited September 2019
    Options
    But you posted food pix so it's all good.
    The bozos that never post food pix are the lame bs'ers.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    I keep reading about pasteurization. Doesn't food need to be at least 145 degrees to do that? How is it pasteurized? The temperature danger zone is food temperatures between 41 and 135 degrees the way I recall. Don't you feel leery about cooking lower than 135?

Consider salmonella in chicken. At 165 degrees, almost all bacteria are killed almost immediately, while at 135 degrees it takes well over an hour for enough to die to achieve the 7 log10 standard. Similarly, 145 degrees takes less than 10 minutes, while 155 degrees less than 1 minute.

Killing bacteria isn't simply a matter of temperature; it requires both temperature and time.

You can find pasteurization table here if you wish.

https://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    It's been demonstrated again and again that a careful reverse sear can do edge-to-edge pink as well as SV.  To me, the biggest issues are:
    • SV can be super convenient, which is the main reason it's so popular in restaurants.  Stick in in a bath and forget about it until someone wants one -- then sear it, serve it!  Can't beat that with a stick.
    • But for some of us, it's more about whether it's fun to mostly cook your food in a plastic bag in a water bath, or whether it's more fun to cook over fire and smoke.
    I've tried SV a few times, and it works, and it's convenient, but I just have more fun cooking over fire and smoke.  And I'm old and retired, so hanging out at home so I can check on the fire every now and again for a few hours doesn't interfere with my lifestyle, and is actually something I enjoy.  Even though I used to be a science nerd, somehow cooking in a plastic bag in a water bath with a high-tech temperature controller just isn't as much fun for me.

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @Theophan The fun part of cooking is real and I feel the same as you. That said, it’s like cooking beans. I love cooking a pot of pinto beans long and slow and smelling them all day - my preferred method. But when I want them on a Wednesday night after work I pull out the instant pot. I get good beans quickly that are not from a can - or worse I don’t have to choose to do without. 
    Not singling you out btw, just adding to the discussion. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • WildmanWilson
    Options
    johnnyp said:

Consider salmonella in chicken. At 165 degrees, almost all bacteria are killed almost immediately, while at 135 degrees it takes well over an hour for enough to die to achieve the 7 log10 standard. Similarly, 145 degrees takes less than 10 minutes, while 155 degrees less than 1 minute.

Killing bacteria isn't simply a matter of temperature; it requires both temperature and time.

Yeah but I see some cooking in the 120s. That seems too low no matter how long. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

As mentioned above, pasteurization can be done at much lower temps than the standard 140 for most foods and 165-185 for chicken. It just takes a little more time. That is actually the magic of Sv cooking. I cook chicken breast at 147 (but for 2 hours). It totally changes the texture from a dry chewy mouthful of muscle (do not google that) to a very tender, juicy cut of meat (I wouldn’t google that either just to be safe). 

• Mattman3969
    Options
    johnnyp said:

You don’t see that temp on chicken.  More likely beef.  I run chicken at 147° for 2hrs, Pork at 131 for 2hrs and beef at 120 for 1hr and I’ve run tuna steaks at 115° for 40mins then seared 

analyze adapt overcome

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Try making chocolate pots over fire and smoke.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    johnnyp said:

Nah- I cook fish at like 122. That’s fine but only for a short periods of time. You aren’t really looking to pasteurize everything. Anything under 130 would not be pasteurized and needs to be pulled in 3 hours or so. Needs to be eaten in 4 from when you put it in. 
  • speed51133
    Options
    Tell you to piss off?
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I don’t mean any offense, but it seems like lame stuff to post on a site about cooking with fire & smoke on a BGE.  I got a buddy that swears by it, but it seems like another way to boil.  Overrated French bs.  You want it tender??? Go low & slow.  
    You can't go low&slower than sous vide.  One neat cook you can do is beef ribs (the ones cut off a rib roast).  Sous vide them at about 140F for about two days, then brown the top under the broiler.  You get super tender ribs that are only cooked to medium.

The real advantage to it is that because you're cooking at the "internal done temperature", you can't overshoot.  You can cook things too long and mess with the texture, but you can't burn or dry out.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Tell you to piss off?
    Sick burn!  
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    texaswig said:
    @tarheelmatt you mean it would literally pay for itself the first time you used it instead of buying a prime rib? That's amazing.please tell us more.
    Pretty much buddy!  It's a great tool to have in the tool box.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • WildmanWilson
    Options
    I guess y’all are going to make me spend more money....
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I also like it for vegetables.  Instead of boiling/steaming all the flavor and nutrients out of them, they cook in a little salt. pepper, butter in the SV and come out cooked perfect. You can do this even a few days ahead of time, pull them out and finish w a 5 minute saute on the stove. Carrots & green beans are my favorites to do this way. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95