Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT dishwasher repair?

Options
bucky925
bucky925 Posts: 2,029
My dishwasher crapped out a few days ago, still ran just didn't clean.  Actually the day we had our neighborhood dinner party (go figure).  In any case it's a GE.  I did a google search and came up with a stoped up filter, maybe the spray arms were clogged? Nope and nope.  I pulled it out to check If the water supply line may have a blockage.  It seemed like it may have.  Back in to test, no dice.  I noticed the pump is kind of clicking???   In any case cheap enough to replace.  I did that today.  I get water and heat, but no swirly. Swirly's are few and far between anyway.   I don't think its the control panel account it still goes through all the cycles.  Maybe I just should have treated as another disposable appliance.  Any suggestions before I throw in the towel ?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Take that pump back and buy a new Bosch.  
  • BugFreak72
    BugFreak72 Posts: 246
    Options
    Our last dishwasher was a GE. Worked great for years but when it broke it was near half the price of a new one so we bought a new one. I'd say go that way. 
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    Bosch will solve all of your problems. 
    IL 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    How do the sprayer arms spin when done many?  My top shelf sprayer went out and would only rotate a couple of times by itself.  Replaced it and top shelf dishes were clean. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Miele.

That is all.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    If it’s old enough, the better part of valor would be to replace it. 

I had dishwasher (Bosch) woes some time ago. Cycles wouldn’t run properly and would stop after less than 30 mins. Turns out that Bosch repairmen are paid better than I am - $200 to step into my house, then $2/min for diagnosis and repair ! 

I found the technical service manual that the repairmen use on a forum somewhere. The error code pointed to a faulty pump, so I replaced that (Amazon) and all was good again. 

If the cycles run correctly then the control module may be fine. You’ve already checked the pump. Replacing the spray arms may be an option. Does the soap dispenser open to eject the detergent? Sometimes that door goes bad and the detergent doesn’t get spit out, so the dishes just get rinsed but not cleaned. 

That’s all I got :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    Agree on the Bosch.  I replaced a GE profile with a Bosch.  I have had Kitchen Aid, a couple of GEs, and a Whirlpool.  The Bosch is by far the best one I have had.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Miele.

That is all.
    ^^^^^^. This, thank me later!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • jeffc5227
    jeffc5227 Posts: 131
    Options
    Buy a new one and be done with it.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    ok.... so.... Miele or Bosch?  You guys aren’t clear 😂

Options
    I go Asko. Forget Miele and Bosch....
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    My house had an asko when I moved in 20 years ago. It was silent (and I mean silent) and ran great.  Then the control panel went on it about 5 years ago.  Could not find a replacement. Got another asko. 2nd day had problems. Then problems after problems and was much louder.  After 1 year, the place I bought it from did good and treated it like a lemon and said I could replace it with anything they carried.  I got a Bosch and so far so good.  I just do not like that it does not have a separate water heating element.  Maybe design has changed since.l I got mine, but my model does not have one. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    Had a Miele in a prior home.  Started a load before bed, woke up to smoke alarm beeping around 5AM, discovered dishwasher on fire (lots of smoke and flames coming out one side near the bottom) - apparently the pump never shut off and overheated.  Fortunately no major harm except to the dishwasher itself.  We replaced with a Bosch.  YMMV . . . 
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    I go Asko. Forget Miele and Bosch....
    We looked at Asko as well and were impressed with it at the lower price point than the Miele. Solid DW.

We chose the Miele for some feature/function issues that escape me right now but I thought the Asko would have been a solid choice as well.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Consumer Reports has Bosch as the top five rated washers. It's not very common to see one brand sweep the top five like that.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Consumer Reports has Bosch as the top five rated washers. It's not very common to see one brand sweep the top five like that.

That’s just more liberal-bias spew.

Un’merican.

mandatory fishless smileys   =)=)=)=)=)
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    When mine dies I'll go with a Bosch. The majority of my very extensive family uses them.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I had an expensive Miele dishwasher. It was good for about 6 years or so. Then it started to develop issues with random error codes.
    I'm sure it's a fine appliance, provided that the service companies in your area are familiar with it. Unfortunately the dealer I bought it from was poorly trained to service it. It was very similar to the space shuttle breaking down in my kitchen.  All the service guys could do was stare at it and shake their head in disbelief that I had bought such an appliance.

I bought a Bosch with the built in water softener and have been very happy with it. I have had no issues. In my area Bosch seems to be very popular, and hopefully well supported if the need arises.
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Surprised that only the entry-level Bosch dishwashers swept the list. No 800-series, and hardly no 500-series
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Surprised that only the entry-level Bosch dishwashers swept the list. No 800-series, and hardly no 500-series
    There were many other Bosch models including many 500/800's. They just fell farther down the list (most had overall scores in the upper 70's). The rankings had 137 models from a variety of brands - too long a list to try and screen capture and paste here legibly.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    We had an asko and it was great but we did have a few repairs over the years. Bought a Miele to replace it and it is superb!  I would without question buy it again!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Eggscuses
    Options
    Bought a Bosch when we redid the kitchen. Only had 2 problems with it.  1 - solenoid valve went and was replaced. Worked great after that.
    2 - couldn't read the control buttons anymore, so tried ordering them through Sears. Kept getting backordered messages from Sears for about 3 months. One night a rep from Bosch called the house, explaining they no longer made that part. And offered us a brand new dishwasher. 
    I'd go with Bosch.