Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To foil or not to foil

Options
mike
mike Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm now 7 hours into smoking my first LARGE pork shoulder (15 lbs). A few questions...[p]1 - How long at 250 do u think it will take ?
2 - should i foil wrap at some time and add beer (or something) ?
3 - how long will the charcoal last ?[p]Thanks !!

Comments

• BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    Mike,[p]Man, that's a big one! at 250 it could go 12 to 15 hours. I do not wrap pork shoulders or add anything once they go on the egg. With my large BGE, if I start with a full firebox and don't overshoot 250F, the charcoal will last 20-24 hours.
  • eggfoot
    eggfoot Posts: 138
    Options
    Mike,
    i did one last night about a 8lber and put it on at 9pm. i pulled it off the egg at 11am with an internal temp of 190. it came out great. i used my large at 240ish deg. and could have got 3 or 4 more hours out of the charcoal for sure. i dont foil when cooking overnight because there is no need to, the meat will fall apart like you cant believe. man 15lbs is going to take awhile, i say that however i have never done one that big so i dont realy know. let us know how it turns out.

• Green_Giant
    Options
    Mike,
    I would not worry about going too long on the foil stage. I got delayed last night in taking off a small pork butt and chuck roast - both which were foiled with some sweet liquid. By the time they came off the fire was out, and the egg cooling. Both were unbelievable tender and juicy. As for foiling, I'm a huge fan and believe that as long as you've added liquid to the meat in the foil it's hard to (within reason) let it go too long. Foil on, m'man and good luck! Dickson

• mike
    Options
    eggfoot,
    Thanks for the response !!
    It's still jammin' without any probs. The party that i'm bringing this beast to starts at 5 so i've got some time constraints. I'm cranking the egg from 250 to 280 for th enext 2 hrs. The internal temp is only 166 now and i want to get it to ~190.[p]I'll let u know how it turns out.[p]Merry Christmas

• eggfoot
    eggfoot Posts: 138
    Options
    Mike,
    190 should be ok, it will cook some after you remove so you will be fine. good luck.

• scole
    scole Posts: 29
    Options
    Mike,[p]Foil it now, if you haven't already. It will take as long to go from 160 to 190 as it took to get to 160.
  • mike
    Options
    scole,[p]Its still 160 (as you said)... i just foiled and raised the temp to 350. Will that help or hurt ?[p]I'm kind of stuck as the pig needs to get to the party SOON..[p]Thanks
  • scole
    scole Posts: 29
    Options
    Mike,[p]You can always chop it. I've never seen anyone turn away any BBQ pork, pulled or chopped. I'd get to 170 at an absolute minimum. Try to get it over 180. Pray for 190.
  • mike
    Options
    scole,[p]Thanks.. I'll do that.
  • mike
    Options
    eggfoot,[p]I was only able to get the 15 pounder to 175 deg with my time constraints. I took it over for the feast and it was outstanding... everyone loved it.[p]Thanks for all of your help.[p]Merry Christmas.