Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Nest and Handler Design?

WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,025
I just noticed the nest and handler on forum member Grillman14 post. Is this new or am I just late to the party? 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Good Catch
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • WeberWho
    Looks to include the handler built in
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Both the old design and the new design are available. The new integrated handler design is priced accordingly. if you aren’t going to move the egg once it is in place then the integrated handler is not a good value. However if you do or plan to move the egg around it is a great value. 
  • Photo Egg
    Both the old design and the new design are available. The new integrated handler design is priced accordingly. if you aren’t going to move the egg once it is in place then the integrated handler is not a good value. However if you do or plan to move the egg around it is a great value. 
    Next and handler are getting so expensive.
    almost half the price of the Egg.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • WeberWho
    Dang. Just when I thought BGE might be competing against Kamado Joe for once. Nope. Just more $$$ they want you to spend on add ons. At least they still offer the other nest. 

Minnesota
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    I have the handler for my XL and like it. As my old nests wear out I plan on buying the new style to give it a try. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    The new one is very nice and sturdy. Even the wheels are an upgrade. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    They came out with that a little over a year ago......MADE IN CHINA like just about all their other accessories, tables, etc.  The old nest, handler, and the bands were about all they made in the US anymore. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,334
    edited June 2019
    I have the new nest handler for my XL. It's built like a tank and the XL rolls around nice and easy
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• baus
    baus Posts: 1
    Any additional comments on the nest with integrated handler? Nobody seems to have it in stock in my area. I have the old nest now, but I've never liked it. Feels very unstable. I'd like to upgrade to the integrated nest, but can hardly find any reviews of it.
  • Photo Egg
    They came out with that a little over a year ago......MADE IN CHINA like just about all their other accessories, tables, etc.  The old nest, handler, and the bands were about all they made in the US anymore. 
    Sad but the quality of the nests can’t possibly get worse
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    baus said:
    Any additional comments on the nest with integrated handler? Nobody seems to have it in stock in my area. I have the old nest now, but I've never liked it. Feels very unstable. I'd like to upgrade to the integrated nest, but can hardly find any reviews of it.
    Do you have a handler on it?  One of those locks it up pretty good.....since it actually secured the egg to the nest rather than just using gravity and a little tension.  I have one for a XL new in the box I'll sell you.

Make sure all the screws are tight on it too.

I don't think you'll feel that much better about the new one.  There are hundreds of thousands of BGE's out there in the old nests and they only fall over we people try to push them over an uneven surface.  The new one doesn't fix that problem.

If you want to see a really unstable nest, go back to the 90's when they have the really low one with office chair casters.  They didn't make a smaller one for a medium, so it just kind bounced around in there.  My mom uses it for a plant holder now, and even that is unstable as all get out.

Check this one out if you want a well build nest......saw these down at HBP Expo this year:

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/big-green-egg-large-accessories-by-ceramic-grill-store/products/cuna-cart-for-big-green-egg

Or look into one of @Tspud1 's tables.  http://outdoorkitchenequip.com
  • I have a large in an old nest (closest in pic), and I have upgraded my other eggs to new nests over the last few years.  I will say that the new nests have better casters.  I could be wrong, and would have to get a tape out to verify, but they seem to be wider and more stable.  The XL and the 2XL have the older style nest handler in the picture (although you cant see the handles in the back).  For what it is worth, I like the old handler.  I was going to get the new one, but it has really been hard to come by, and every dealer I talked to didn't even know there was a new one.

Some idiot put the rear stabilizer bar on my XL nest backwards.  He really doesn't want to take it apart to fix it.

• Get a buddy with a wire welder to fab up a nest for you.  I used 8” Marathon flat free casters so it rolls effortless, but you could use 4” or 6” to save some bucks!
  • I have the new one on my XL, it rolls pretty easally on my patio and I’ve had no issues. It was part of the “starter package” from the dealer. I don’t recall what It cost, I’m sure to much. 
    XL BGE
    Malden, MA
  • I won an XL in a contest this year and that’s the nest that came with it. I was really pleased with how thought out the design was and the easy it was to assemble. Seems like a quality product to me. 
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    that rib fest is just a few blocks from me! I had no idea it existed!
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    I have one of the Smoken Products Cuna Carts for my LBGE.
    A great product. Built like a tank! Rolls smooth and easy. Side shelves can hold a lot of weight and a hot plate setter. I put my CGS PSWoo on them straight out of the Egg when hot.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX