Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

20# prime packer

doing a brisket like the title says. This will be my first foray into an overnight cook. No control. My plan is to light the egg tomorrow night around 7, let it stabilize and get the protein on by 8-8:30. Shooting for an eat time of 6pm Tuesday evening. Figured an hour per pound running 250-275°. Gives me ample time plus I can let it ride FTC if it finishes early. What say you eggheads?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    If 20 lbs on the package then weigh it after trimming it up.  Likely will lose 3+/- lbs (or more) in that process.  (Grade of the brisket??) That said, stable over-night fire (w/o controller) is the critical piece of this cook.  I would fire it up a good 3 hours early (following a lump charcoal load well into the fire ring and calibrating the dome thermo).  So if going with 17 lbs and a 2- 6 hour FTC then it has to cross the finish-line no later than 4 PM on slice and serve day. 
    The other things you have to work with are higher cook temps, butcher paper  and foil.  I would fire the fire around 8 PM and load at high midnight.  As the brisket renders the fire will naturally run a bit hotter.  Hold personal reveille in the 6- 7AM window and see where you are. Adjust accordingly to hit the 2-6 hour FTC window after the finish-line. 
    Brisket cooks are about the most fun you can have because all have their own script (not shared with you) so you just adapt and work with it.
    Long response and FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    @lousubcap, it’s a Prime I picked up at Sam’s. Thanks for the response. You always seem to be the brisket guru. I’ll be able to set low and high temp alarms with my Smoke. Also will be able to monitor while I’m at work Tuesday morning (off around noon). I live less than a half mile away, I can leave to adjust the vents if need be. I’ll post pics tomorrow night. Gonna be a fun cook
  • lousubcap
    No guru here but enjoy traveling the brisket cook road.  The unknowns during the cook make it such fun.  The BGE is a fire and forget (for the most part ) operation-the brisket, no way.  Thus the personal entertainment value. 
    Patience is the watch-word here and you have got this.  Just don't over-think the whole deal.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColbyLang
    Fire lit at 7pm. Protein on at 8:30 (been up since 3am for work, time for bed).....here we go 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Enjoy the ride and sleep.  Will be standing by for finished shots.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• ColbyLang
    4:30 wake up shot 

Just pulled it off and wrapped it. IT of 210°, probing like butta. Sitting in the ice chest, towel wrapped. Will remove and trim fat cap before possibly re heating to get to safe temp. Cooked WAY faster than I thought it would! Egg never got over 275 all night 
  • ColbyLang
    Finished product 
  • lousubcap
    edited August 2019
    You can tightly wrap in foil and place in a pan in your oven on the lowest setting (mine goes to 170*F-some will go to 140*F).  Depending on the oven temp then remove and slice across the grain on demand.  FWIW-
    Edit:  Great looking bark.
  • Daddyshack
    Daddyshack Posts: 179
    Looks great- how was it?
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Yum!  Looks solid!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • ColbyLang
    Absolutely delicious! Definitely top 5 on briskets that I’ve done. Got almost the whole flat gone and part of the point. Gonna vac pack and freeze the rest for later consumption