Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wings, Corn, Pulled Pork. Just Another Evening

Options

So mom is coming over tomorrow for some pulled pork. Tonight, I'm doing some wings and corn on the cob. I'll be prepping and putting on a 10 pound pork shoulder in a few hours. Got to have some treats to eat as I do all this.

Here is my first batch of wings on my minimax. 375 with cherry smoke. Pulled at 180. Sauced with some sweet baby rays. I wanted to try doing the leg and flapper together. Not sure I like them this way. I just put on another 12 wings (cut in half) and some corn. Will have those up shortly as I keep getting the other large BGE ready for tonight.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    2nd batch of wings and corn.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    i like the snacks for the chef

Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • bigguy136
    Options
    OMG, I just ate 22 wings and 4 ears of corn, solo. I'm not moving so good.....

Big Lake, Minnesota

• mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    i must admit im jealous

Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • bigguy136
    Options
    I went to restaurant depot. They had 40 pounds of wings for $2.00/ pound. The wings I did tonight are the last of my local grocery store. I'm looking forward to the other ones as they are noticeably larger.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• MCRyan
    MCRyan Posts: 167
    Options
    And the coolest cooking area award goes to bigguy136...
    XLBGE, SS table
    McKinney, TX.
  • bigguy136
    Options
    MCRyan said:
    And the coolest cooking area award goes to bigguy136...

Thanks so much!!!

I like building things myself and I started this project last summer. Still a few more things I want to do but it gets the grills away from my house (in case of fire) and gets a roof over my head. I added the lattice to keep the snow from coming in but has been good during the summer to keep the tree leaves out.

Just a simple guy with a simple area.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bigguy136
    Options

My set-up prior to lighting. Some vinegar, sugar and water in the pan.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bigguy136
    Options
    And shoulder is on. Lid closed and stable at 250. Time to relax. I need to learn how to drink.....

Big Lake, Minnesota

• NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Awesome looking wings. I need to do those more - I watched an instructional video on how to properly eat a flat and I need to put that knowledge to use  =)
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • bigguy136
    Options
    I use the KIS theory for making wings. Remove tip, cut middle joint, dust with seasoning, grill at 375-400 till 180 IT. Eat as is or add a sauce.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    bigguy136 said:
    OMG, I just ate 22 wings and 4 ears of corn, solo. I'm not moving so good.....
    Nicely done! We had our fantasy football draft last Wednesday at Buffalo Wild Wings. (Expensive and overrated but I wasn't in charge) Only 3 other guys and 1 girl could make the draft in person. Between us we ordered 100 wings and 4 appetizers. We managed to take it down and find some room for a couple beers. Funny how much wings you can eat without realizing it.  

Years ago my friend and I had a wing challenge at Buffalo Wild Wings to see who could eat more wings. Unfortunately I came up short. I was able to throw back 50 wings. My buddy who is 6' 7" tall crushed me with 72 wings.  

Fun times. 22 wings with 4 ears is impressive. Great work
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bigguy136
    Options
    100 wings and a few beers at BWW, they were loving you. A bit spendy for just some wings but if they can charge it, why not. And I assume you don't go there every week so why not.
    50 wings is very impressive. Have you tried their hot sauce challenge? I did 2 times with boneless but challenge needs to be done with bone in. Not sure I would want that hot sauce on my fingers.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    bigguy136 said:
    100 wings and a few beers at BWW, they were loving you. A bit spendy for just some wings but if they can charge it, why not. And I assume you don't go there every week so why not.
    50 wings is very impressive. Have you tried their hot sauce challenge? I did 2 times with boneless but challenge needs to be done with bone in. Not sure I would want that hot sauce on my fingers.
    What is their hot sauce challenge?  I had 6 blazin’ Wings (bone in) back in the day, wouldn’t be super eager to repeat (no liquids of any sort either)
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • bigguy136
    Options
    Yes the blazing challenge. I had the sauce put on boneless wings so I could eat them with a fork. That was back in the day.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I like the flappers and drummettes together.

On another note....

A few years back, I did a challenge with a bud where we started with 50 wings and 24 beers each.  I stopped at 37 and 18 respectively.  I didn't feel so good for a few days after that
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • WeberWho
    edited August 2019
    Options
    bigguy136 said:
    I have. I want to say I've done the challenge 4 times. Blazing isn't necessarily a good flavor or have much of a flavor at all. I have to get it though everytime I go. It's that pain of hot that I must like. I gets my mouth watering. 

The hottest wings I had were ghost wings from a golf course in Brooklyn Park. I made it through 2.5 wings out of 6 in their contest. It felt like I was giving birth a few hours later. The wings were insanely hot. My wife had a nibble of one of the wings maybe the size of my pinky nail and she had an upset stomach the rest of the night. I don't think they do the ghost challenge anymore but I've always wondered what it would be like to try it again. I'm really not that great with extreme heat but I don't find myself turning away from it. 

My old roommate is a big sh!+ talker when it comes to spicy food. We would always bust each other who could eat hotter foods. One day he came home with "Da Bomb" hot sauce. It used to be the hottest hot sauce back in the day. They used to dab a tip of a toothpick in the bottle for people to sample if they dared at the hot sauce store. So I started talking smack and said it probably wasn't that hot. He dared me to try a little of it. I told my friend I'd eat a spoonful of it for all I cared. Well....he took me up on it. It wasn't just a little sample size from a spoon, it was a heaping spoonful to the point it couldn't hold anymore on the spoon without spilling. Good for my word I took it down. Man oh man was it hot. I've never done acid, mushrooms, or LSD but I can say I've been close. After eating this spoonful of hot sauce I felt my body start to float off the ground and hover above the carpet by a foot or so. That hot sauce was tweaking with my brain hard. Next thing you know I'm half a gallon down on milk and half of my loaf of bread is in my stomach. Crazy how much that stuff can mess with you. I can say I successfully ate the spoonful of hot sauce without puking. Only thing missing was some Greatful Dead and Phish music when I was tripping out on hot sauce. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bigguy136
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    After eating this spoonful of hot sauce I felt my body start to float off the ground and hover above the carpet by a foot or so.

Crazy!!

I did the hot stuff maybe 20 years ago but I have mellowed with age....

Not sure if I should say congrats for keeping a spoonful down or ask what were you thinking??

Way tougher than I am.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bigguy136
    Options
    And finished..... almost. Just need to rest, shred and serve with some corn.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    bigguy did some bigcooking.... looks great!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • WeberWho
    Options
    bigguy136 said:
    WeberWho said:
    After eating this spoonful of hot sauce I felt my body start to float off the ground and hover above the carpet by a foot or so.

Crazy!!

I did the hot stuff maybe 20 years ago but I have mellowed with age....

Not sure if I should say congrats for keeping a spoonful down or ask what were you thinking??

Way tougher than I am.

I'm not tougher I'm just an idiot. It was one of those who could eat hotter foods when we were younger. My friends dad grows hot peppers. He eats jalapeños if they were celery for a snack. He has that iron gut. So my friend thinks he can eat hot foods like his dad. A few years ago we were at a Nascar race tailgating that morning and he made a couple omelettes full of hot peppers and extra hot hot sauces. My friend said, "This is how I eat them every morning". Again super hot but I managed to eat the omelette. I look over at my friend and he's hardly ate half of his omelette before giving up as it was too hot. I said, "So you eat this every morning?" You could tell he may have stretched the truth! Just guys being stupid. I enjoy that kind of stupid stuff I guess. Spicy food is what got me interested in cooking. I can't do extreme hot as I once could but I have to try every once in awhile.

Enjoy that meal with mom. It looks great!

Minnesota
  • bigguy136
    Options
    And a few finished photos. Always good to cook for mom and send her home with leftovers. 

Big Lake, Minnesota