Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help

Options
After 9 years the top bracket slipped off 
dome is fine I set aside etc 

kinda wanna grill tonite! We 

tips on this project ? 

Comments

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Time for a new band, although when mine did that I was able to reuse the band but I also received new bolts from the mothership.  I also had to replace my lid. 
  • HairyGilmer
    Options
    You can’t fit back on? 

I see they have a new design 
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    You can fit it back on, my lid slid out and broke so I got a replacement lid and new bolts but kept the band.  The new band is much better though so now would be a good time to swap it out, wish I would have gotten the new band.  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I have had this happen mid pizza cook (we ordered out that night). I eventually bought new bands but it was because I had alignment issues that would not go away. The band never slipped off again once I tightened it back up. 

Just re-seat the dome and tighten the bands as tight as you can. Make sure the bolts on the bands are bent like it shows in the manual. They say to use a torque wrench but I never have. You should be good to go in 5-10 minutes. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • HairyGilmer
    Options
    That top band bent bolt is hard to hold 

I was gonna loosen but hard to hold with vice grips 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    That top band bent bolt is hard to hold 

I was gonna loosen but hard to hold with vice grips 
    That bolt should be way more bent than that. That’s your problem. Torque that thing down tight. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Google our YouTube it. It’s in the installation manual as well. That will fix your problem. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I think I would first disconnect the springs. With the top band in the open position the springs should be collapsed and easy to remove. 

Close the bands and inspect them. Are they pretty straight or are they all janked up? Hard to tell from the picture. If they are all janked up I would just bite the bullet and get a new set of bands. If they look okay then proceed. 

To loosen the top band I would try two wrenches, or try to push the bolt back in place. The band is basically like a wrench where the bolt slides in (if that makes any sense). Right now it is pushed out of place. 

Set the dome back in place, and tighten back up. Like Centex said- tighten it really well. 

You may need help here because now you have to hold the heavy dome open while you reattach the springs. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If you opt for new bolts, either get them from your dealer or buy Grade 5 bolts from most hardware stores. Bring an old one to make sure you get the right size. Grade 5 has three notches on the bolt head like this... 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut