Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How are you going to cover your new Blackstone?

Picked up the 28" this week.  Looking for sources for a cheap and durable cover.  Appreciate the help!
LBGE, 28" Blackstone
Georgia

Comments

• Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Mine is under a roof but thinking about the blackstone cover just to keep grime off it. Some have used tarps to be waterproof and someone I believe cut down a peice of corian countertop as a hartol cover
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Credit!  

oh wait....

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I bought  a very durable cover for my rebuilt Weber Performer with SS table, 5 or so years back, from Academy. It is still in great shape. Went by there to see if they had that in a size that would fit the 28" BS, but alas they did not.

Bought the Blackstone cover from Amazon and will see how long it lasts. Reviews were mixed. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
     I have the Blackstone cover. It is not waterproof. I tried some spray on waterproofing and also leave a melting cover on the griddle to "tent" the cover a bit. These tricks helped, but not perfect. I occasionally have to repair rust spots. I plan to get a nice thick sheet of plastic cutting board material made to fully cover the griddle this season. I can use the prep area for my Egg and gasser or kettle cooks and it should end all water related issues. I liked the Corrian top I saw on the forum but figure the plastic may be more useful as I can actually cut directly on it without bringing out another board.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

I'm the guy with the corian cover - link to thread below.  

Swirling snow would most likely find it's way in, but thankfully all we have is rain.  Rain, no matter how hard doesn't touch it.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1184521/ot-blackstone-griddle-hardtop-cover-prep-area-pics#latest

Phoenix 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited February 2017
    Blackstone cover for my 36 did not keep rain out. I tried tenting it so the water didn't pool but it still leaked. I fixed it with a cheap blue tarp under the BS cover. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Like a jimmy hat.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    I bought the BS cover as well. Looks similar to the Large BGE cover. 
    Wait and see what happens...

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Currently in the garage with the blackstone cover.  If i end up needing to keep it outdoors, I will likely construct some sort of support similar to @Spring Chicken

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • i got a blackstone cover and i will probably be keeping it in the garage...side note, it gets delivered today
    Cameron, TX   Large BGE, 36" Blackstone, Yoder 640 w/Comp Cart
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Haven't opened the blackstone cover yet, but if it's not waterproof it's not of much use to me. Back to Amazon it goes. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited February 2017
    caliking said:
    Haven't opened the blackstone cover yet, but if it's not waterproof it's not of much use to me. Back to Amazon it goes. 
    The problem on the 36 inch is there is a seam that runs right down the middle that lets water in.  I tried seam sealer but that didn't fix it. It is really silly design. If they had just made it where there was no seam over the griddle I think it would work perfectly.  The $8 blue tarp actually works fine though. Not the most elegant solution, but I just set the tarp over it and the BS cover holds it in place and it looks better. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• oldgeezeystax
    oldgeezeystax Posts: 313
    Did I see someone covering their BS with one of those plastic folding tables or am I just making that up?
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited May 2017
    Did I see someone covering their BS with one of those plastic folding tables or am I just making that up?

I didn't feel like googling for the old thread, but If memory serves, they had a large piece of plastic and cut it to size. 

I place upside-down foil trays on my cooking surface to prop the cover up.  Been outside since I bought it. No issues.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • blasting
    johnnyp said:

I didn't feel like googling for the old thread, but If memory serves, they had a large piece of plastic and cut it to size. 

I place upside-down foil trays on my cooking surface to prop the cover up.  Been outside since I bought it. No issues.

Sounds like you were thinking of mine.  It was corian - see picture about 8 psts up

Phoenix 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932

blasting said:
    Sounds like you were thinking of mine.  It was corian - see picture about 8 psts up

Lol.  I'm an idiot.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited May 2017

Since we have the Surround Table, Blackstone's cover will fit only when the STable is collapsed.  
    We prefer to leave the table intact, so a larger cover is needed.
    THIS arrived today:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E5L7CHE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

. . . we'll see.  It's a bit over-large, but a coupla pub stools will occupy the excess.

@Blasting 's solution is far, far neater (AND more utile), but it seems that ambient moisture might still be an issue.
    Or not.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    There's a gazillion covers out there for all kinds of things. I'm sure one could find a better cover than the OEM Blackstone covers.

I have no idea as to the exact width of the 28" griddle but something like this might be good. There is no seam across the top of the cover and it is wide enough that it should go on/off fairly easily:

https://smile.amazon.com/Patio-Armor-SF40302-Storage-Bench/dp/B007PZBE80/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1495826087&sr=8-5&keywords=deck+box+cover
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Lvnthedrm
    Lvnthedrm Posts: 153
    That would be me. I needed a table anyway so gave it a shot. So far it's doing the job. BTW, nice avatar....been a fan since they were on 33rd street.

• blasting
    Lvnthedrm said:
    That would be me. I needed a table anyway so gave it a shot. So far it's doing the job. BTW, nice avatar....been a fan since they were on 33rd street.

My apologies, I thought it was mine they were referring to.  That's as simple as it gets.  I like it.  
    Phoenix 
  • oldgeezeystax
    oldgeezeystax Posts: 313
    Lvnthedrm said: 

Bingo. I like blastings solution a lot but I like the ease of the plastic table. I don't even have a bs yet but I'm getting ready to pull the trigger, my buddy at work got the $199 Amazon prime deal and I keep hoping that will happen again. 
  • Lvnthedrm
    Lvnthedrm Posts: 153
    blasting said:
    Lvnthedrm said:

My apologies, I thought it was mine they were referring to.  That's as simple as it gets.  I like it.  
    No apology necessary. As @oldgeezeystax says, your solution is great and much more custom. My initial plan was to remove the legs so it sat much like yours but when it arrived I just threw it on top to see how it went and so far its worked.
  • BBBQ
    BBBQ Posts: 39
    Re-upping this thread... was very disappointed to buy a cover for my 36" and experience the leaking. Is the real answer here a blue tarp underneath or just ditch the cover for something else? Any other innovations since this thread?
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited August 2019
    BBBQ said:
    Re-upping this thread... was very disappointed to buy a cover for my 36" and experience the leaking. Is the real answer here a blue tarp underneath or just ditch the cover for something else? Any other innovations since this thread?
    @Tspud1 makes a great looking stainless cover for the BS.   I don’t own a BS, so I can’t give you info, but others will chime in for sure.  I do have one of his tables and the quality and workmanship is top notch.

edit - here is a link to @Tspud1 web site

https://www.outdoorkitchenequip.com/36-blackstone-griddle-cover
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    paging @Tspud1

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    I would be lunch you cannot purchase  better 36 cover than what @Tspud1 (Tim) delivers.
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• BBBQ
    BBBQ Posts: 39
    Thanks! Guess I gotta spend another $90 to get this sorted. Beats dragging it across the yard and in and out of the shed. 
  • I like both of my @Tspud1 covers.  I have the 36" and 22" covers and they work great.
  • Do you guys leave your bs out in the rain with just the tspud1 cover on? Is it enough to keep it dry?