Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Ribs

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My BGE just arrived today. I'm looking for some help in finding a recipe for Beef Ribs. If anyone has a good method, cooking times, types of wood to smoke with, I would greatly appreciate it.[p]Thank you

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Tom Lasonde, Ipersonally have not cooked a rack of ribs, but I have done some country style beef ribs. Beef is more difficult than pork but they can be done..What type of rib and maybe you will get some great answers as usual here.
    I think with beef ribs..foil will play a big part. Beef needs more tenderizing efforts than port.
    Good luck..
    C~W
    BTW..there has been some postings regarding steak via Sprinter (Troy) on the affects of olive oil tenderizing steaks..Might work on beef ribs also.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Tom Lasonde,[p]http://www.tm52.com/bge/[p]Check the website -- I have a whole page on beef ribs.[p]They need a loooooonnnggggggg slow cook to break down the meat and fat. 5 hrs is good 6 would be better and I read someone does them fro 7 or more. They are not my favorites but they are nice for a change.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]
    Tim's Cookbook and stuff
    [/ul]
  • Tim M
    beef3.jpg
    <p />Char-Woody,
    Get yourself some of them greasy rascals and start cooking! They are good for a change but they do have a different taste. Make sure the choppers are well sharpened as they are always tough. Maybe I will try a 7+ hr cook with them sometime to see if that helps. I have not heard of the foil wrapped beef ribs but that does open a new wrinkle -- maybe GFW will try it with foil - maybe he has. Gee, it might be the [p]3-3-1 method. hehe[p]Tim

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Tom Lasonde,[p]I did some a while ago. I found a recipe that recommended an overnight soak in a bath of taquila (oh, yah), silantro, lime juice and jalapino peppers. I cooked the indirect for about 5 and half hours at 210 degrees. The last 30 minutes wer cooked direct (and flipped a few times) with a sause thined with more taquila and lime. They were a nice change from the norm.[p]Smokey
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Tom Lasonde,
    great responses so far. And like Tim says, a long cook is beneficial. I did 7 hours (indirect over a drip pan) at 225. These were good, and not greasy as the fat renders off pretty well with the long cook. Spare ribs (pork) are much meatier, and I was actually disappointed with the amount of meat that was left after the cook of the beef ribs.. Tasty, but just an appetizer. [p]Let us know what you end up doing, and welcome to this green group of Qers!!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Tom Lasonde,
    I like the rest have not had a lot of luck with beef ribs,here is a few recipes to look at.[p]Larry

[ul][li]Beef ribs[/ul]
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Char-Woody,[p]I was actually going to try that with some pork ribs in the near future but beef ribs would really put the oil to the test. I'll post the results either way but I do plan on trying it here shortly. Got the pork loin on tap this weekend, should be good. We'll compare chutney loins on Monday, hope yours is great.[p]Troy
  • Char-Woody
    sprinter, cheers to ya Troy..go for it..:-)
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Tim M, I got too many projects at the moment.. lets see how Troy's adventure goes..Just pulled a fabulous P'Pork off the BGE..On at midnite and slow cooked for 14 hours..done temp at 206F internal..Never used a thermometer all the way thru..Steady burn..just raised lid to sample at the end..Neighbor and his son trimming trees came over and snacked..His son is about to graduate from West Point..so I am re-educating him..Got thumbs up on the Butt...fun city.
    C~W[p]

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Tom Lasonde,
    I have had success with them cooking low and slo (250*) for 7-8 hrs indirect. I do mop them though and it helps. My mop sauce is just about perfected and I will post it when I feel like it is just right.

• Tim M
    JJ,[p]Post it and bring some north to yankee country when you come to Maryland. If it's in the same class as your rub recipe it will be good enough to mop on everything. [p]Knowing you, I doubt it will be only a few ingredients though. hehehehe[p]Tim
  • Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Yo Tom, here is a recipe that is tryed and true, just not on the egg but it shouldn`t matter......[p]Big Beef Ribs......separate them, rub them with equal parts of salt, black pepper and paprika![p]Mop with:
    (makes one quart)
    1.5 tsp salt
    1.5 tsp dry mustard
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp chile powder
    1 tsp hot sauce
    2/3 cup worchestershire sauce
    1.5 cup apple cider vinegar
    2 2/3 cup beef stock (packet mixed with water, bovril)
    1/4 cup cooking oil (doesn`t matter what kind)...[p]Notice this mop has no tomato or sugar in it so burning is not an issue.[p]Here is how to cook them...
    Cook them direct over "almost dead coals), by that I mean the grill should be hot to the touch but not hot enough to burn you.
    When you first put them on spread them out!
    after a half hour or so start stacking them and revolving them around, each time you open the lid, give them a slather of the mop!
    The aroma that comes from the mop and the cooking ribs after and hour will bring down the neighbourhood.
    It just gets better and better as the cook progresses.
    Keep stacking and revolving being careful not to let the cooker get to hot.
    The purpose for the stacking is to avoid them cooking too fast and not rendering out the fat and we all know what beef fat tastes like!.....BLAH!
    Keep that procedure up till they are done, that usually takes me at least 2.5 to 3.5 hours....
    The rewards will be worth the effort.......[p]p.s.....it was this recipe where I got the idea for my forum handle......[p]Mop![p][p][p][p][p][p]Mop![p][p]

• JJ
    Tim M,
    I will try to get it perfected in time to bring to Waldorf. It does a few ingredients in it.

• Tim M
    JJ,
    My wife (who is anxious to meet you) growls at me every time I make a batch - so I make large ones now to avoid as much grumping as I can. Actually, I have never had all the ingrediants you call for. I went out and bought a morter-pisle (sp?) to grind the coriander seeds but never have found white pepper. I do follow the recipe for the Juleps though!![p]Tim

• JJ
    Tim M,
    I will bring you some white pepper.

• Tom
    Tom Posts: 189
    Smokey,[p]This sounds great thank you. I have a fajita recipe with the same ingredients, the lime juice does a tremendous job at tenderizing the beef.[p]Tom