Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pretty Nice Pork Butt Tonight

I went with the peach preserves over peach wood as suggested by @YukonRon. Just one pic tells the tale:

Mountain View, CA

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    That pic certainly does tell the whole story.. Ron"s butt its definitely a winner.. =)
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Beautiful cook.

When I do those it takes me a while to pull it off the egg, due to the fact I start eating the bark right there. You have a lot  of great eating there.

If you had me at your house serving this I would have embarrassed myself.

One thing I will share, when you make these, due to the sugars from the preserves sealing the moisture in, it also sticks to the grids. I find it easier to use a pizza peel when taking it off because it just falls apart as you try to remove it.

I hope you enjoyed it as much as My Beautiful Wife and I do.

Thank you for posting.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    @YukonRon do you think putting the peach preserves on from the very start of the cook limits the smoke exposure to the pork?  I've started putting the peach preserves on after the stall with great results, just curious if you've tried both ways.  
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    The butt did nearly disintegrate. I could tell when I probed it. I used a heavy duty spatula to free it from the grid and a gloved hand to help pick it up in one piece
    Mountain View, CA
  • YukonRon
    GoooDawgs said:
    @YukonRon do you think putting the peach preserves on from the very start of the cook limits the smoke exposure to the pork?  I've started putting the peach preserves on after the stall with great results, just curious if you've tried both ways.  
    @GoooDawgs

I have done it both ways, I do enjoy a very smokey taste, however I am married to a princess, which likes smoke as a minor part of the flavor profile. Guess who wins?

Initially when I started doing these, I added double the chunks I would normally use at the beginning to counter the preserves. 

It seemed to work very well for me, but My Beautiful Wife, said it was too much for her taste.

Your method works wonderful as well. I have done that with outstanding success very often.

I am lazy though, so while drinking and watching over the cook, I use full resistance from opening the lid for the duration, lest I injure the hands that holds the glass or pours the bourbon.

However, being lazy, and wishing to ensure matrimonial bliss, wherever and however possible, when I go for a higher smoke profile to the flavor, I load it on the front end with a few extra chunks, shrug my shoulders say "I dunno" and blame it on the BGE should she complain (as I shove it in my mouth).

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    dmourati said:
    The butt did nearly disintegrate. I could tell when I probed it. I used a heavy duty spatula to free it from the grid and a gloved hand to help pick it up in one piece
    The pizza peel will be a tremendous help. I bought a very inexpensive one which I use for the one purpose.

Whatch out for Eggers that tell you how to spend your money.

I am down about 90 grand so far. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Any rub under the peach preserves ? 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    'pretty nice' is an understatement my friend!
    canuckland
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Stellar my friend... that bark is sinful
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    edited August 2019
    Any rub under the peach preserves ? 
    Ya. I deviated a bit from Ron's suggestions but here's exactly what I did:

1. Trim off most of the fatcap with a sharp knife
    2. Pat try the pork but
    3. Dust heavily with Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust
    4. Use a large metal spoon to apply one jar of peach preserves to the butt
    5. Dust again with Dizzy Dust
    6. Put it on at 300F till internal temp of 203 about 9 hours for a 9 lb trimmed butt. Rockwood and peach wood for smoke.
    Mountain View, CA