Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulling an all nighter.

Options
Skrullb
Skrullb Posts: 666
edited August 2019 in EggHead Forum
I’m providing food for a funeral reception tomorrow so I’ve got the XL fired up and loaded to the brim with 6 butts. I’ll be putting chicken lollipops in tomorrow when I pull the pork off. Some wonderful pecan and fresh cherry smoke will be filling the neighborhood all night. 
I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 

Comments

• SmokeyLopey
    Options
    I've done a lot of funerals, but never had one where bbq was served at the reception. I'll have to suggest that to our vood grief committee...although I would likely be the one cooking the butts!
  • Skrullb
    Options
    I've done a lot of funerals, but never had one where bbq was served at the reception. I'll have to suggest that to our vood grief committee...although I would likely be the one cooking the butts!
    Yeah it’s interesting for sure. A teacher reached out to me because I’ve done the teacher’s appreciation picnic at the school the last few years and she knew I could deliver some good pork. They wanted chicken legs, which I found odd due to the mess, so I’m taking it upon myself to do the lollipops in an attempt to make thinks cleaner. We shall see!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Looks like you've got it under control.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • tclamberth
    tclamberth Posts: 162
    Options
    Tell me more about these chicken lollipops 
    Memphis raised me, T-Town made me...Aint never been nothing but a winner
  • Skrullb
    Options
    Take a sharp knife and cut around the leg where the meat stops, and pull that off the small end. You’re removing a lot of the tendons and making it much easier to eat. I also cut the top end to make it flat so they stand up. They’re in the smoke now. 
  • tclamberth
    tclamberth Posts: 162
    Options
    Skrullb said:
    Take a sharp knife and cut around the leg where the meat stops, and pull that off the small end. You’re removing a lot of the tendons and making it much easier to eat. I also cut the top end to make it flat so they stand up. They’re in the smoke now. 
    Thanks. I can’t wait to try this
    Memphis raised me, T-Town made me...Aint never been nothing but a winner
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    After reading this post I had to try a few of these. The kids loved them. Thanks for posting. 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    nice thing you are doing and a great looking cook
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • SmokeyLopey
    Options
    Skrullb said:
    What temp and time? Did you rub or marinate the legs? Looks good...and without tendons sounds good to me!
  • Skrullb
    Options
    Skrullb said:
    What temp and time? Did you rub or marinate the legs? Looks good...and without tendons sounds good to me!
    I dry rubbed and cooked indirect with some pecan at 300 or so and they took about 75 minutes. When they hit about 165 I dunked them in sauce and returned them to set up. 
  • Skrullb
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    After reading this post I had to try a few of these. The kids loved them. Thanks for posting. 
    Awesome! They are kid friendly for sure 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @Skrullb - Great cooks.  There is a great level of effort to make the lollipops.  That is strong work right there.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    The pops look strong.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Skrullb
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Skrullb - Great cooks.  There is a great level of effort to make the lollipops.  That is strong work right there.  Congrats.
    Thanks. I’d never done them before, either. Nothing like trying something new for 100 people!