Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - vac sealer

I am in the market and have done a search on here, which was helpful.  Leaning towards the vacmaster VP215 chamber sealer and wondering if anyone has any good or bad (leaving out the price tag) experiences to share.  Is it overkill/am I better off with the pro 350?  I am thinking the chamber sealer would open up some opportunities for marinades and soups, and I would hope last longer than the food saver machines I have been using (and replacing).  Thanks.   
Eggin' with a Large and Small
Twin Cities, MN

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I have the Pro 350 and it's a beast compared to the foodsavers that I had. 110% satisfied with my decision 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I wanted ability to use wide bags and chose VacMaster Pro 380. No regret.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • BGEChicago
    BGEChicago Posts: 574
    @chard I have both the VP 350 and VP215.... The reason is when I seal bigger items like a pork belly it's impossible to do in the VP215.... Not trying to get you to spend all of your money both both is the perfect set up imho

Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    +1 on what @BGEChicago said.  I have a similar setup except that my traditional sealer is a cheaper food saver model since I don't do too many over-sized meats.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• RLS
    RLS Posts: 41
    @chard For my needs the VP350 is perfect. A step-up in build and material (and price) from a Foodsaver, but worth it for my needs. I seal food 2-3 times a month, at those times it may be 8-10 bags. One thing to consider is store room, my VP350 fits in the pantry, flipped on its back on the shelf. At 20 lbs. it is not too bad to haul in and out. The VP215 looks like its weight is 80lbs which for our set-up would require its own cart and I have no floor space for that. Sorry I could speak to the VP215 directly but I give the VP350 a yes vote. Hope this helps..

Rick
    Rick in Tampa
  • chard
    chard Posts: 67
    Thanks for all of the feedback.  Went ahead and ordered the VP215 and will likely add a 350 down the road.  I have a spot for the 215 and got the blessing from the wife so I pounced.     
    Eggin' with a Large and Small
    Twin Cities, MN
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    If you are egging a vac sealer is a must. With it just being my wife and I we are limited for space and we generally do not have much need for very large vacuum sealing components.
    For us the el cheapo Costco Food Saver has been great for what we need.
    We use it for leftovers, self butchering steaks, chops, chicken, and fish. Couple times per year we will use it to make bourbon slushies.
    I would like to take the step up one day, but when 90% of your food can be cooked on a mMx these days with the children gone....at least we know it is great for the slushies.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,707
    @chard I have both the VP 350 and VP215.... The reason is when I seal bigger items like a pork belly it's impossible to do in the VP215.... Not trying to get you to spend all of your money both both is the perfect set up imho

@BGEChicago - will this work on the VP215 ?

https://youtu.be/Oe51RNVr79c
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    LEM MaxVac 1000

Bulletproof reliability
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    YukonRon said:
    If you are egging a vac sealer is a must. With it just being my wife and I we are limited for space and we generally do not have much need for very large vacuum sealing components.
    We use it for leftovers, self butchering steaks, chops, chicken, and fish. Couple times per year we will use it to make bourbon slushies.
    I would like to take the step up one day, but when 90% of your food can be cooked on a mMx these days with the children gone....at least we know it is great for the slushies.
    How does one make a bourbon slushie?
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    edited August 2019
    lkapigian said:

I figured it should work as long as the bag has air channels and the width is within 10.5" (width of vp215 sealing bar). Went ahead and tested it anyway and can confirm it works. Like the video says it's not as tight as chamber sealing since it's now operationg in foodsaver mode which also means you can't vac seal liquid.

canuckland
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,707
    edited August 2019
    lkapigian said:

I figured it should work as long as the bag has air channels and the width is within 10.5" (width of vp215 sealing bar). Went ahead and tested it anyway and can confirm it works. Like the video says it's not as tight as chamber sealing since it's now operationg in foodsaver mode which also means you can't vac seal liquid.

Thanks for confirming @Canugghead least we know it can be used for things that wont fit inside 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Canugghead
    @lkapigian thanks to you for the 'nudge', always wanted to test this but procrastinated  :)
    canuckland
  • mahenryak
    edited August 2019
    Yes.  Thank you @Canugghead .  Very good to know.

• Canugghead
    I should add... for oversized items I still prefer to use my old foodsaver. Two reasons:
    1) sealing bar wider than vp215's
    2) no need to elevate the item to vp215's height
    canuckland
  • BGEChicago
    @lkapigian You guys find a hack for anything! I had to laugh when I saw this....  I don't know if @chard needs to use accessories like this one I use all the time
    Image result for food saver containers
    but I can confirm the VP215 does not have a port but the Pro350 does... I hated to have to buy 2 sealers but I use the container all the time to do a quick marinade. 

Thanks,
    Greg

• Canugghead
    @BGEChicago Greg, this is how I marinade with vp215...

Same technique can be used to infuse fruit with alcohol, make quick pickle, etc. 

It's much 'stronger' than foodsaver marinator box.  How do I know? I discovered the marinator box works in the chamber too, no need for port and hose.  Trouble is, I went overboard (should have stopped manually sooner) and the pressure cracked the box  :s
    canuckland
  • BGEChicago
    I've said it a million times... I learn something new every time I log on here... Thanks @Canugghead
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    jeponline said:
    YukonRon said:
    How does one make a bourbon slushie?
    The recipe is in this forum somewhere. I will look it up and send it to you. My Beautiful Wife got it at church.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Canugghead
    edited August 2019
    edit: for short term storage of or marinating smaller items, I use 'free' plastic bags ( @Little Steven 's favourite) used for packaging milk here.

from an old post:

Just realised I can do this! Make sure you watch the gauge and don't let the needle go down more than 50%, if you don't want to crumple it    Even at 50% I could see the lid dip when the vacuum was released, scary! 

canuckland
  • mahenryak
    ^Interesting Stuff^  :)

• BGEChicago
    I have been thinking about what you posted today... It makes perfect sense, on my Pro using a container I can only pull to 17-18 hg even on the highest setting, but on the VP215 I can easily pull 29hg...
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    YukonRon said:
    Whatever you do, please don’t get the VP215 if it means SMALLER bags of slushies. I don’t think I could deal with that. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.