Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suckling Pig Large Egg

Options
My father in laws 70th birthday is coming up and we are most likely going to have small celebration at our place. I can’t think of a better gift than a whole hog. Has anyone recently had any experience/success with a suckling pig on a large egg?  I located a farm nearby (Stryker Farms in PA) with the pig. Curious about process and set up for cooking. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Why would it have to be recent success?

https://eggheadforum.com/search?Search=Suckling+Pig

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    this one was 62 pounds, not mine, i dont think i would go this big.  they cut 4 inches out of the spine and folded it, i believe its just sitting on a big foil ball

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • theeggcellentchef
    Options
    I spoke to butcher and they said pigs are 15 lbs after being dressed and 32 inches long. Any ideas on how to manipulate the pig to fit?
    thx!!
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I spoke to butcher and they said pigs are 15 lbs after being dressed and 32 inches long. Any ideas on how to manipulate the pig to fit?
    thx!!
    https://www.google.com/search?q=big+green+egg+suckling+pig&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjMr7KQqvLjAhXSVc0KHSWIA4UQ_AUoAnoECA4QAg&biw=1024&bih=649&dpr=2

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Here's a thread from 2009 that might be of interest.

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/671120/smoking-roast-suckling-pig

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    this one was 62 pounds, not mine, i dont think i would go this big.  they cut 4 inches out of the spine and folded it, i believe its just sitting on a big foil ball

I can get a pig at my favorite butcher and have been thinking about doing to celebrate my temporary lapse in common sense that lead me to buy an XXL.  One thing troubling me is have do you carve it?

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    edited August 2019
    Options

I can get a pig at my favorite butcher and have been thinking about doing to celebrate my temporary lapse in common sense that lead me to buy an XXL.  One thing troubling me is have do you carve it?

You can do a Pig Picking and just let the guests Pick off of it, I Split the skit @ the Spine and peel the skin down, it is basically all pulled pork so get in there with some heat resistant gloves and have at it....Depending on how many guests you have , you may want to do a Pork Butt and A couple racks of ribs and lay them around the dressed out pig, makes for a great presentation

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options

im wondering how he got it out of there
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options

It looks like the fire ring was removed to get it to fit in there.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I would be afraid to cook something I've never cooked before for such a monumental occasion as a 70th birthday party.
    Now your forum name theeggcellentchef indicates that you certainly possess the skill set to pull it off. For me I would go the conservative fool proof pork butt route, and maybe ribs to make it a real celebration.
    If I was really set on a whole pig, I would certainly do at least one trial run.

• speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    This inspires me to roast a pig next month. Debating on a spit over fire pit or the egg.  
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • speed51133
    Options
    My local "pig guy" quoted me $290 for a 40lb hanging weight, fresh, slaughtered and dressed pig (delivered). It would be slaughtered the day before. Seems expensive but there really is nothing to compare it to. http://www.maplecreek-farms.com/
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,095
    edited August 2019
    Options
    $2.00 a pound here for whole hog. Most are in the 80 to 100 pound range.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Suckling pig you say?  Got some small ones just the other week....

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    lkapigian said:

You can do a Pig Picking and just let the guests Pick off of it, I Split the skit @ the Spine and peel the skin down, it is basically all pulled pork so get in there with some heat resistant gloves and have at it....Depending on how many guests you have , you may want to do a Pork Butt and A couple racks of ribs and lay them around the dressed out pig, makes for a great presentation.
    Presentation like this if you have the time/bandwidth/cooking space. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lkapigian
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    lkapigian said:

You can do a Pig Picking and just let the guests Pick off of it, I Split the skit @ the Spine and peel the skin down, it is basically all pulled pork so get in there with some heat resistant gloves and have at it....Depending on how many guests you have , you may want to do a Pork Butt and A couple racks of ribs and lay them around the dressed out pig, makes for a great presentation.
    Presentation like this if you have the time/bandwidth/cooking space. 

is the way to do it^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • speed51133
    Options
    why does that skin look so disgusting?
  • theeggcellentchef
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the great feedback. I can’t wait to try it out!
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Options
    My local "pig guy" quoted me $290 for a 40lb hanging weight, fresh, slaughtered and dressed pig (delivered). It would be slaughtered the day before. Seems expensive but there really is nothing to compare it to. http://www.maplecreek-farms.com/
    That’s a pretty steep price. I live in Mass and the guy I get my pigs from starts at $4/lb. the price goes down as the weight of the pig goes up. So I get a 130 lb pig for around the same price you’ll pay for a 40 lb. 
  • speed51133
    Options
    https://www.uwprovision.com/retail/stores/the-meat-market/
    Found a winner!
    They just quoted me 3.20 a pound hanging weight and fresh for a 41 pound pig. Yes, also cheaper the bigger the pig. I am actually scared of doing an open pit that it would not cook evenly. My outdoor fireplace is only 3 feet across. I just feel safer with the XL egg that I won't screw it up.
  • theeggcellentchef
    Options
    Party is this Saturday picking up a 15 lber this Friday! Any seasoning recommendations?
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Offsets seem to be a better choice for pigs, trust me!

• Foghorn
    Options
    Party is this Saturday picking up a 15 lber this Friday! Any seasoning recommendations?
    I've done a few small wild pigs that a friend shot at his deer lease.  We usually inject with a mixture of apple cider and apple cider vinegar because they are pretty lean and parts of them can dry out quickly.  I'm not sure what to tell you with a storebought pig, but it wouldn't hurt to inject.  I don't think I've ever heard anybody say they wish they hadn't.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• theeggcellentchef
    Options
    @Foghorn thanks. Do you still season the pig or does injection take the place of rub 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Rub the inside, inject the rest

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Foghorn
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Rub the inside, inject the rest

This.  And use at least 50% apple juice... probably 75%.  The apple cider vinegar flavor can overwhelm.  I haven't done enough to decide on what ratio I like best - but I do know that pure apple cider vinegar is not the way to go.  We pulled the meat and mixed in some standard sweet nonvinegar BBQ sauce and it tasted very good, but prior to that the vinegar flavor was too strong in the meat.  

San Antonio, TX

• theeggcellentchef
    Options
    Thanks. I probably should’ve mentioned I’m using the meat church injection which has salt. 
  • theeggcellentchef
    Options
    Any thoughts on throwing some potatoes in the cavity?  I feel like the juices would add nice flavor while the potatoes would prevent pig from collapsing 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Any thoughts on throwing some potatoes in the cavity?  I feel like the juices would add nice flavor while the potatoes would prevent pig from collapsing 
    It will slow your cooktime , so adjust as needed 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    @theeggcellentchef Don't forget the pictures!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.