Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is the Meater any good?

Options
Thanks for any feedback, considering purchasing!

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bearbro
    bearbro Posts: 4
    Options
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    Someone here was selling theirs. Not sure if it was sold or not. 

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1220511/for-sale-new-in-box-meater#latest
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Thanks for bringing this up as well.  I was also wondering if it has improved, works at roasting temps and how the connectivity is in real life.  I'll have to search the reviews, but it doesn't sound like everyone is raving about it as a game changer or we'd see it on here as much as we see sous vide setups. :)

Looks like something that sells really great on instagram ads. :lol:

LBGE/Maryland
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Thanks for bringing this up as well.  I was also wondering if it has improved, works at roasting temps and how the connectivity is in real life.  I'll have to search the reviews, but it doesn't sound like everyone is raving about it as a game changer or we'd see it on here as much as we see sous vide setups. :)

Looks like something that sells really great on instagram ads. :lol:

Interesting to know how much signal range loss you get closing it up in the Egg?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    edited August 2019
    Options
    It is a game changer for me, I really like it.  I leave an iPad next to my egg while its cooking.  I don't have the block.  I have them paired to my two iPhones and two iPads, so they roam to the closest device.  I was able to pick up three of the individual probes before the block came out (not the extended range ones).  I have learned that cleaning them properly is extra work.  Steel wool does the best job of cleaning every last bit of gunk off of them so that they get good contact for the recharge.  They cant go under water, although my wife was helping me on the last cook and didn't know that.  She cleaned it in water, but it still seems to be working.  My favorite feature is the lack of wires, it is awesome.  I put the probe in the meat, and don't have to worry about wires anywhere.  History pic of my last cook using it.  I used the Smobot to control the temp, and it was flawless.  You can see the two times I opened the cooker, and my push to get the food done in time by increasing the temp a few times while cooking.

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    I got one from the first batch produced and I've used it probably 20 times. Very pleased with it. Nothing else like it when using the BGEtisserie!
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • tamck1
    tamck1 Posts: 36
    Options
    Nothing but praise from me. I too have one of the originals and use an old iPhone near the BGE as the base station. When connected to the Meater Cloud you can follow the cook on your phone from anywhere you have an internet connection. 

L and MM BGEs with JJGeorge tables, Mini BGE with carrier, other charcoal and pellet smokers/grills too numerous to count.
  • bearbro
    bearbro Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for all of the feedback!
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    I had two, just purchased the block when on sale last week. Great for the Joetissierie. Have had a few family members purchase singles as well after seeing it in action. Be careful upon removing from the protein. Sometimes it wants to separate between the silver and black sections. Other than that it works great. 
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    the meater was reviewed and the rep indicated you cant expose the probes to temps over 212F....no joke

https://www.wired.com/review/meater-wireless-meat-thermometer/

[QUOTE]

While my ThermoWorks probe can withstand temperatures from -58 to 572 degrees Fahrenheit, the Meater is much more fragile.

I double-checked with a company rep, asking if the internal probe might break if exposed to temperatures over 212 degrees for more than 10 minutes.

"Correct," came the response.

Yikes. That's horribly restricting over the life of a thermometer. At some point, you're going to mess up, and 212 degrees is an awfully low bar.

[/quote]

XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    the meater was reviewed and the rep indicated you cant expose the probes to temps over 212F....no joke

https://www.wired.com/review/meater-wireless-meat-thermometer/

[QUOTE]

While my ThermoWorks probe can withstand temperatures from -58 to 572 degrees Fahrenheit, the Meater is much more fragile.

I double-checked with a company rep, asking if the internal probe might break if exposed to temperatures over 212 degrees for more than 10 minutes.

"Correct," came the response.

Yikes. That's horribly restricting over the life of a thermometer. At some point, you're going to mess up, and 212 degrees is an awfully low bar.

[/quote]

Thats an internal max, the ambient max is 572.  If you have anything cooked to over 212, its probably pretty dry. :)

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Oh, I see, you pointed out internal already in your comment, my mistake.  I suppose if you mess up and go over 212 you could harm the internal probe.  Ive never cooked anything to 212 internal.  If you were cooking a nice brisket, the meat could be a more costly loss than the $69 replacement probe.  But it is worth calling it out like you said.
  • SmokeyLopey
    Options
    I have used my Meater+ twice: once on a pork butt and once on a ribeye (cooked @ ~400°) and like it very much. I have not had much success with the accuracy of the estimated cook time...it is all over the place; however internal and ambient temp seem good. I really enjoy not having the wires!
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    someone should tell WIRED magazine
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.