Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Commercial Rubs How much do you pay

ryantt
ryantt Posts: 2,532
edited August 2019 in EggHead Forum
i known it's an odd question as it seems easy enough to do a quick web search...but it seem like most everything is in the $12 range for a 12oz bottle.  Just seems like that’s the going rate in my are...do you find the same to be true?  I ask not because I’m trying to sell things, but because I now know the price to commercially produce a case of 12 bottles.  Doesn’t seem like their is much meat left on the bone for these companies making rubs, who are using good quality spices with big distribution.  

This is a picture of our first commercially produced bottle, Chef Norah Grace wants them to give away at events that she cooks at.   

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    That's an expected average price. I suspect the average price allows a bit more profit when the bottling run is 1000, and the spices are bought in bulk.

As far as give a ways, a whole bottle seems like a lot. I see Staples has small cellophane bags at about $60/1000, and maybe they could be sealed just w. a clothes iron.

FWIW, I've noticed a lot of smaller brand commercial blends tend to be loaded w. salt and sugar
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I agree that a full bottle is a LOT to give away. I don't know how much Dizzy Pig's sample bags hold, but as I recall, they are zip-lock bags. Maybe Chris would sell you some. Then again, now you're the competition! =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Spam?? That is ridiculous.  I agree about using the smaller zip lock bags for samples.  Good luck with this venture.  And that $12 price point is about the same here. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Kupkaked
    Kupkaked Posts: 33
    Whatever the largest container of Dizzy Pig costs via Prime. 
    Haddon Township, NJ
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    smaller packets, foil pouches etc for free samples. something that easily fits in a back pocket.  i would not expect anyone to give me a 12 ounce jar of rub to carry around all day
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Are you outsourcing this or bottled in home
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Have you got a website set up yet? I agree that all you need for samples is a little ziplock bag, logo on one side and contact info on the other side. She could sell a wide range of merch on there.
  • ryantt
    I agree that a full bottle is a LOT to give away. I don't know how much Dizzy Pig's sample bags hold, but as I recall, they are zip-lock bags. Maybe Chris would sell you some. Then again, now you're the competition! =)

He did offer to sell me the bottles or the bags at his price.

We just figured it would would be nice to do at EggFest and people’s choices comps.  

• ryantt
    smaller packets, foil pouches etc for free samples. something that easily fits in a back pocket.  i would not expect anyone to give me a 12 ounce jar of rub to carry around all day
    Good point, maybe we will be 2oz zip lock bags. 

• ryantt
    lkapigian said:
    Ohio has some funky rules and we have to outsource it.   The guy who’s going to do it for her is doing it at almost 0 margin.  He likes the fact that a little chef wants to do this and we were referred to him by. Harry Soo.  

• ryantt
    @Gulfcoastguy not trying to sell anything 

• Well what is in it?
  • ryantt
    edited August 2019
    @FlyOverCountry

1 part of each of the following: season salt, Turbinado sugar, black pepper (16 mesh) 
    1/2 part smoked paprika
    1/4 part granulated garlic & granulated onion 
    1/8 part ancho chili powder, Worcestershire powder
    1/16 part Mono sodium glutamate, dry mustard 

thats the basics. There are some other things in it depending on what we cook 

• ryantt said:
    @FlyOverCountry

1 part of each of the following: season salt, Turbinado sugar, black pepper (16 mesh) 
    1/2 part smoked paprika
    1/4 part granulated garlic & granulated onion 
    1/8 part ancho chili powder, Worcestershire powder
    1/16 part Mono sodium glutamate, dry mustard 

thats the basics. There are some other things in it depending on what we cook 
    That sounds pretty good but I could do without the Worcestershire powder.  I don trust anything from Massahchoosetts.  
  • Carolina Q
    This was before my time here, but just so you'll know, @Nature Boy (Chris) started out here by posting his cooks and rub recipes. It's my understanding that folks convinced him to stop sharing his recipes. Next thing you know... DP was born! I'm sure that's an abbreviated version, but that's how I heard it.

Glad it's working out for him! Just wanted to point out that you may not want to be giving away Norah Grace's store. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ryantt
    @Carolina Q they don’t have her cooking skills.  It’s going to be a giveaway item and she has 2 others that we make 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    ryantt said:
    lkapigian said:
    Ohio has some funky rules and we have to outsource it.   The guy who’s going to do it for her is doing it at almost 0 margin.  He likes the fact that a little chef wants to do this and we were referred to him by. Ha

FWIW , since not selling ( props) I'd just bypass the third party ...
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    ryantt said:
    @Carolina Q they don’t have her cooking skills.  
    Wow
  • Bad Byron's Butt Rub Barbeque Seasoning BBQ Rubs (26 ounce) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00258I5PM/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_MOmsDb2RMSZ6V
    Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • Carolina Q
    ryantt said:
    @Carolina Q they don’t have her cooking skills.  It’s going to be a giveaway item and she has 2 others that we make 
    Umm, "they" who? And I wasn't talking about cooking skills, just rub recipes. I just meant that she might want to sell rubs later. Like Chris did.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ryantt
    edited August 2019
    @Carolina Q most of the people we will be giving it away to at the events.  They are new to cooking at a lot of the classes we teach together.   Also it’s a nice way to get people interested in our Instagram and Facebook.   We share lots of recipes on them.  

She wants to be the next Christy Vanover or Hey Grill Hey 

And i I don’t mind giving the rub recipe away to eggheads, you guys have been supportive of her cooking journey.  I don’t think any one on here is going to take her recipe and make money off of it.   

• Carolina Q
    ryantt said:
    @Carolina Q most of the people we will be giving it away to at the events.  They are new to cooking at a lot of the classes we teach together.   Also it’s a nice way to get people interested in our Instagram and Facebook.   We share lots of recipes on them.  

She wants to be the next Christy Vanover or Hey Grill Hey 

And i I don’t mind giving the rub recipe away to eggheads, you guys have been supportive of her cooking journey.  I don’t think any one on here is going to take her recipe and make money off of it.   
    Ah, gotcha. But that's who Chris was giving away to, folks on here. And those are the people who talked him out of doing it. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    edited August 2019
    This was before my time here, but just so you'll know, @Nature Boy (Chris) started out here by posting his cooks and rub recipes. It's my understanding that folks convinced him to stop sharing his recipes. Next thing you know... DP was born! I'm sure that's an abbreviated version, but that's how I heard it.

Glad it's working out for him! Just wanted to point out that you may not want to be giving away Norah Grace's store. =)
    Wassup @Carolina Q ! Fun reading the posts, but confused by your statement about folks convincing me to stop sharing my recipes. Nobody talked me out of doing anything. Business got in the way of me being able to post 9,000 times. I am still learning from this cooking journey and love to share what I learned just yesterday. 

I've never shared our seasoning recipes that we sell commercially, but that's kind of expected, right? Norah Grace rocks and will surely succeed in her quest. Fun to watch.

Beers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Carolina Q

Wassup @Carolina Q ! Fun reading the posts, but confused by your statement about folks convincing me to stop sharing my recipes. Seriously confused. I am still learning from this cooking journey and love to share what I learned just yesterday. 

I've never shared our seasoning recipes that we sell commercially, but that's kind of expected, right? Norah Grace rocks and will surely succeed in her quest. Fun to watch.

Beers!
    Chris
    @Nature Boy Hey, Chris. Sorry for my misunderstanding. I would have sworn that's what I was told back in the dark ages when I signed on here. But apparently, the older I get the less memory I have! =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ryantt
    @Nature Boy thanks for all of your help and support.  We have zero intentions of selling rubs, I can’t imagine the headache that would be.  I was trying to say that I know if the average price for a bottle of rub is $12, there isn’t much meat on the bone for companies.  Dizzy Pig uses top quality fresh ingredients, has a team dedicated to mixing and bottling the product, not much money in a bottle of rub.

We were lucky enough to find a guy who is really doing this at zero margin, just because he knows we’re giving it away and like the idea of her doing it.  Yes I have to pay for labels and the ingredients but other than that nothing. No surcharges or fees. He’s also close enough we can pick up 6 cases at a time and give them away.   I’d be happy to share with you some of the other things we’ve tried or ship you a bottle once we get our cases.  You’re a man that won’t pull any punches so you can tell me if we’re on to something.  People are willing to pay her to cook at events now and always want her seasoning mix so why not try to build a following of loyal “fans” and spread the bbq love.  

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    @Carolina Q don't even get me started on age and memory! Amazing how much changes in the way we think as we age :( Even if someone told me to stop sharing what I've learned, I couldn't do it. @ryantt I think it's cool that you got someone to do this for you so inexpensively, and give Norah Grace a chance to spread the love! And absolutely I could try a little and will offer an honest opinion, but please don't send me a whole bottle :) Good luck with it and have fun on the ride!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    if you have a good recipe and it's commercially made, i will happily buy a bottle in support of a young BBQ chef... sign me up for bottle #1!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • ryantt
    @blind99 while I’d love to sell you a bottle, I’ll make you and any egghead who wants it, you pay shipping and we will send you a bottle.  

• NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    ryantt said:
    @blind99 while I’d love to sell you a bottle, I’ll make you and any egghead who wants it, you pay shipping and we will send you a bottle.  
    I’m in too 👍
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...