Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FTC w/ whole chuck short ribs

I picked up a couple 4 bone racks of chuck short ribs, I’m planning on about 8 hrs total cook time. 4-5 hrs on the egg, 45 mins to an hr in foil, then back on the egg for 30-45 mins. I may have to FTC these thing for a bit. I’m guessing they’ll be fine but I wasn’t sure because they don’t have the same mass as a brisket to hold heat. Any thoughts or experiences to share?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,173
    It's been a while but I have FTC'd chuck ribs in the past.  Don' know how long you plan for the FTC but with a pre-warmed cooler you can get 2-3 hours easily and probably more.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Spillin
    Spillin Posts: 75
    My last cook I FTC mine for 2 hrs and they were still smoking hot.  Definitely could have went another couple hours if needed
    LG BGE
    36" Blackstone
    Weber Genisis
    Cold IPA on tap!
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Thanks guys! These thing are going to be done around 3-330. So I’m looking at 3-4 hrs of FTC time. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,173
    Just pre-warm a good cooler and use garage quality towels warmed in a dryer to fill the void and you will be golden.  Also-you can place the cooler in the sun (depending on your current weather). 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Awesome.  Cooking the same thing today