Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keeping fruit fresh longer via vinegar

Options
JethroVA
JethroVA Posts: 1,251
I was bored. And tired of buying strawberries and other fruit that molded within days of purchase. So I decided to try a side-by-side experiment, stopping short of a randomized control trial. I'm also a nerd.  So...
Hypothesis: a vinegar-water bath will delay mold on fruit.
Methods: 
1) Bought 2 lbs of strawberries in same container at a major grocer. 
2) Rinsed all of them together in fresh water.
3) Wifey divided them into two piles of same quantity and similar visual quality.
4) Flipped a coin and tails became the vinegar bath pile.  They received a second rinse in mix of roughly 2:1 water/vinegar for several minutes. 
5) covered both with plastic wrap and several days in fridge and several days on counter.  
Results:  See pics below.  The container with the paper in it says "vinegar".  The non-labeled one was the control group. 

Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 

Comments

• smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Did the vinegar wash affect the taste?
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Cool. Neat experiment. I’d love to see more such tests.
  • JethroVA
    Options
    @smokingal, no, I forgot to mention that the berries were rinsed again after the vinegar water bath.  No change in taste. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • JethroVA
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations, thanks.  One thing I love about this forum is that most participants appreciated such things.  Couple years ago I did a side-by-side test with treatment of chicken wings and corn starch.  It was conclusive - a positive for corn starch.  I love sh!t like this given that my "hobbies" are now limited by age, profession, and spouse.  
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Vinegar is bacteriostatic and will inhibit molds/fungi. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JethroVA
    Options
    @bgebrent I so rarely get to use bacteriostatic in a sentence so thank you brother. "It's bacteriostatic."  It's bacterioaologicantido... it's not liking bacteria.  No likey bacteria bugs. Bacteria no likey it either.  

Sorry it's Fri night. Point is, vinegar makes your fruit strong like bull longer. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Excellent, Jethro, and thanks!  Will be using this technique in the future.

My bugaboo is cheese molding.  Cook's Illustrated insists that cheeses should be wrapped in paper, and then lightly in foil, to allow them to "breathe"; but I seem to get a chunk to last longer when wrapped tightly in Saran Wrap.  I need to buy a fresh block of cheese, cut it in half, wrap each in the two techniques, and see what happens.  
    Heck, maybe cut it in thirds, and try the vinegar rinse to one, too!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    @smokingal, no, I forgot to mention that the berries were rinsed again after the vinegar water bath.  No change in taste. 
    Rinsed before putting into the fridge?  Thank you.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Markarm4119
    Options
    Most every vegetable/ fruit wash has 2 key components, acetic acid (vinegar) and hydrogen peroxide to stabilise it and keep from turning Brown.
    Worked in the the commercial chemical industry for 25 years. Vinegar, white distilled or Apple cider vinegar both work to.kill bacteria. A couple capfull s in some cold v water will keep lettuce, kale celery fresher longer.

Just rinse with fresh water and your produce will last longer
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,173
    Options
    Cool. Thanks for the tip. Definitely will give it a try. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That is interesting but I wonder if the storage method may be causing the mold. We buy strawberries from Sams or Costco all the time and they last a week in the fridge without mold. 

We store them in the original container that is vented. I wonder if washing them and sealing them in the container is causing the mold in the first place? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JethroVA
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt definitely don't seal them up.  Notice that most berries and cherries are shipped in containers that can breathe. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Science!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i might wash a strawberry before eating it, but does everyone wash them before refrigeration, i would think that would cause problems
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    i might wash a strawberry before eating it, but does everyone wash them before refrigeration, i would think that would cause problems
    I was thinking washing before storage might be an issue too.  We usually wash right before consuming (or in the morning if it is part of lunch), but not before putting them away.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Jethro, who woulda thunk a Beverly Hillbilly would do science?  Great work, brother!
    Options
    Love the science, I may have to do something like this with my 3rd grade science class!

Has anyone tried this stuff?  Used it with our peach canning:

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    we used to use sodium bisulfite to keep the salad from browning in my restaurant days.   I am super allergic to it.