Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meanwhile, in Toronto, some ribs.

Making some ribs tonight as the first step to an experiment.  Doing what has become my usual turbo-ish style baby backs with a play on this rub: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/rendezvous-style-memphis-rub-recipe

And a mop that has that rub, plus white vinegar, plus some barbecue sauce, plus water, done around 300-ish for about 3-ish hours.  

They work out really well, in my view, this way.  But this time after cooling them down I will be vacuum sealing, freezing, and then reheating in about 10 days up at the cottage (in some hot water - no power=no sous vide - then finished on a gasser).  Since I actually prefer pulled pork than has been through a similar treatment, I am hopeful. 

Here they are about there...maybe another 20 minutes depending on the toothpick. Three big racks cut up so had to move them around a bit.

Toronto ON

Comments

• looks like winner!
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • Way to do the GWN proud. Cooking beforehand and vac-sealing sounds like and interesting prospect. Will have to try at some point.  
  • Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    @GrateEggspectations seriously in my opinion pulled pork that has been vacuum-sealed, frozen and heated up later (in the bag, either in simmering water or sous vide) is at least as good if not better than "fresh".  And obviously it is great to have it available basically anytime. Hoping the same is true of the ribs.
    Toronto ON
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I’ve done this a few different ways, and it works well.

Often, when cooking ribs at home I will toss an extra rack or two on and when finished, I’ll cool and vacuum seal in half rack portions which I usually just reheat on the egg or gasser.  I’ve used SV to reheat, but don’t usually do that extra step since I always want to finish on the grill.

I also experimented with pre-cooking ribs in the oven wrapped in foil and then vacuum sealing, freezing and finishing later on a grill.  This works surprisingly well if you reheat over smoke (not a gasser).  The whole oven thing came about because I had to cook 30 racks of ribs in a place where I had two ovens and only gasser grill space for four racks, but where I needed to serve a day later there were only fire pit type grills to reheat.

Because they’re thin and bones make up so much of their weight, I think ribs work really well for Pre-cook and reheat scenarios.
  • Way to represent team canada bbq 
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Yup, pulled pork, ribs, even brisket come out awesome reheated SV....
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Well, just to close the loop, this worked out great! Out of the bag and into a 300 degree oven for about twenty minutes, and served up (sauced at the family's request):

Toronto ON