Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon Safe to Eat?

XC242
XC242 Posts: 1,208
Made this last Thursday - hot smoked. Was going to finish it at a family gathering over the weekend but the get together was cancelled. Have a couple chunks left and want to let the gang at work have them tomorrow (Thursday). Still safe to eat?

LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Specifics on preparation and subsequent preservation required     
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Give your boss a few bites at 10:00 am first, then decide.   =)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• XC242
    bgebrent said:
    Specifics on preparation and subsequent preservation required     
    Smoked at 250 to 145+ internal. Cooled on the countertop about an hour, then double wrapped in plastic and into the fridge. So it’s been in there 7 nights. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    edited August 2019
    I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole. I would be even less likely to bring it to work. Huge downside if anyone gets sick. What's the upside? Go buy some more salmon and make it for them and bring it the next day.
    Mountain View, CA
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    edited August 2019
    If it's been smoked and refrigerated the whole time I  think it would be fine. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • bgebrent
    It should be fine.  I'd eat it.
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Looks fantastic, but...

No way.

USDA guideline is 3 - 4 days maximum if refrigerated @ 40 degrees or below.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Not many meats in the fridge will hold for 7 days, I get it sucks to toss it but if it looked like you weren't going to get to it after the first day or two I would have frozen it if you wanted to keep it to serve in the future.

Smoking salmon at 250 is not the same as curing the salmon with a salt brine and then cold smoking it and even then i still wouldn't go past 3 days once its been cooked personally.  

I want to be known as the BBQ king by co-workers, not the guy that got half the office sick and nobody wants to touch your food ever again. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    at 7 days i would eat the salmon, salmon holds up better than say cod or haddock or any white fish
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • at 7 days i would eat the salmon, salmon holds up better than say cod or haddock or any white fish
    No judgment for taking the personal risk if you want to try it while shotgunning a whiskey to kill any germs but when you’re serving others who aren’t aware of your decision to gamble on it being safe I’d be pissed to find out I got sick from this decision after the fact 
  • bgebrent
    To be clear, I'd eat it.  I wouldn't serve it.
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Just just microwave it in the work kitchen, not only will you nuke any funkiness but the aroma that fills the office is always a huge hit!  
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    at 7 days i would eat the salmon, salmon holds up better than say cod or haddock or any white fish
    No judgment for taking the personal risk if you want to try it while shotgunning a whiskey to kill any germs but when you’re serving others who aren’t aware of your decision to gamble on it being safe I’d be pissed to find out I got sick from this decision after the fact 
    i would not serve it to those other than family who ate like this for ever.  have seen a study on raw salmon staying in the fridge for 15 days and nobody could tell the difference from fresh, do this with say a pollock and theres a big difference on day 2
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Honestly too many variables even with the additional detail but agreed that downside risk greatly outweighs upside of sharing a couple of chunks of week-old salmon. 
    Toronto ON
  • XC242
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the input. Didn’t do it. Not worth the risk. 

I’ll make them some fresh stuff. They really seem to like the proteins I bring in but for some reason they say I need a bit more practice... 😎

Have a great weekend!!