Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer Butt Chicken ?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thinking of doing one for Xmas dinner, but have never tried it before. I've got what looks like a good recipe, but had a quick ? I assume I just stick the can up the butt and place bird, et al over direct heat. No need for drip pan. What happens to the beer mixture in the can while cooking? Does it steam out into the bird?[p]TIA

Comments

• Gene613
    Options
    Actually you cook on indirect heat for beer can chicken. The beer in the can stays in the can (most of it) doesn't really add flavor or anything like that just keeps it nice and moist. I usually use a drip pan just to make it easier getting it on and off the grill (actually set the can with the chicken on it in the pan).
  • Gene613,[p]Do you use a plate setter for indirect and then stick bird/can/pan on top of grate?[p]Thanks!
  • Gene613
    Options
    Thats how I do it or sit the drip pan on the setter with a little water in it. I have beer can chicken holder things that have 3 feet that you put the can in then put the chicken over. But either way will work.
  • Gene613
    Options
    IMG_0054.jpg
    <p />You can kinda see what I am talking about in this picture the can holder thing.
  • Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Options
    BGEaholic,[p]You might try spatchcock chicken. Just as moist and easier cleanup. Although, it's easier to do 3 or more chix with the beer butt method.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    BGEaholic,
    i cook mine direct at 350-375. no pan, either way works fine for me.the last few been using gingerale with some spice in it, no need to use beer or buy bad cheap beer. i would cook one before xmas for practice. make sure the smoke is clean before the chicken goes in the egg, and steam in the egg can give you a mean burn so becareful opening the egg. i only half fill the egg for this cook with lump

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BGEaholic,[p]
    I've done 2 chickens on the beer butt vertical rack. I did not use any liquid or beer, just used the rack, with indirect heat set-up. [p]L BGE with inverted plate setter. Foil lined drip pan on the setter. Washed and dried chicken and gave a generous coating of dizzy dust. Stabilized egg at 475-480 and cooked for 1 hr 10 minutes. I can tell you, it was the best yard bird ever. I can not imagine a moister bird.
    I havent tried it with the beer and probably never will. I settled on the high temp roast, from my experience with cooking turkeys in my regular oven. I cook a 12-15 pound turkey in 1.5 hours (no stuffing) start at 475 degrees for the first 1/2 hour then rotate breast side down and reduce temp to 375. inverting the turkey lets the fat from the back naturally baste the breast. I pour a can of chicken stock over the bird 3 times during the cook. Way Good!![p]Gordy in Arizona contemplating a Seafood Pallella on the egg. [p]

• Flashback Bob
    Options
    Gene613,
    Whazzat on the back burner??

• Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Options
    BGEaholic,
    I generally do four chickens at a time. I try to find 4# birds. Just season with whatever you like both inside and out. If you can, pull back the skin on the breast and apply some rub direct to meat then allow skin to return. I use about 1/6 th of a can of beer in each bird. 350 direct for about 1 ½ hrs. I test for done by lifting a wing. When it pulls away from the chicken, it is done. Birds in back are always done first so watch out for that. Good luck. Pop

Willis Tx.