Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smash Burgers at 500* ??

500 Posts: 3,177
Agree?  
https://biggreenegg.com/recipes/smash-cheese-burgers/

I know the fat to meat ratio plays a part here.  Since we are cooking with lean burger meat (👎), I'm thinking I may have sticking problems at 500*.
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    No problem with sticking at 500. I use a 18” Co griddle laying on the grill. I have a YouTube video out there somewhere. 

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• 500 said:
    Agree?  
    https://biggreenegg.com/recipes/smash-cheese-burgers/

I know the fat to meat ratio plays a part here.  Since we are cooking with lean burger meat (👎), I'm thinking I may have sticking problems at 500*.
    No issues. I have a CI half moon. Either use some oil on the grid or mustard, the only sticking issue I’ve had is sticking to it the smash spatula so don’t forget to oil it some 
  • BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    I didn’t have any sticking issues at 500*.  Here is a picture of some smashed burgers on a Lodge 14 inch cast iron pizza pan.  

I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I have a question:  What in blazes is the advantage of putting them on the griddle and not smashing them immediately?  I hear some people on this forum saying that's the way they do it, and now I see that the recipe linked-to on the BGE website says to wait a minute or two before smashing them.

WHY???

What's the advantage?  Far as I can see it only causes the outer parts to spend LESS time getting nice and crusty brown!  I put one on, SMASH it.  Put another one one, SMASH it...  Works like a charm for me.  Is there something I'm missing?
  • smittydog27
    smittydog27 Posts: 100
    I cook on cast iron, hot, the burgers are round balls that roll around in a big bowl in seasoning. Put back in fridge to chill until egg/iron up to temp. Then I drop the balls on the ci. Count to about a minute 30..then SMASH the heck out of it with my burger spatula.  Let it cook and crisp the edge then flip.  Crisp the slap on the cheese, remove from direct heat and close dome. Let cheese melt. Serve

• Theophan
    500 said:
    ... Since we are cooking with lean burger meat (👎), I'm thinking I may have sticking problems at 500*.
    Not necessarily.  I read a Paul Prudhomme recipe, once, in which he lamented the fact that he couldn't convince people to heat their skillets before putting the meat in.  He insisted that even with a (super lean) boneless chicken breast, you can season it, and with NO fat, just drop it on a hot skillet, even a stainless steel skillet (!), and ... if you wait till it's good and browned before trying to flip it, it will almost lift itself from the skillet.  I tried it in a stainless steel skillet, and he was right!  This isn't the original article, but it summarizes what I read, years ago.

I do find that I have to scrape my smash burgers up a bit, even though I very lightly oil the skillet before I put them in and smash them down, but usually they come up pretty easily.

But... all of that said, it just isn't possible to make lean burgers as good as burgers with some fat in them.  Smashing them will help, sure, but I'd rather maybe have burgers less often but make really really good ones when I do.  Up to you, obviously.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i sharpened my smash burger spatula to a knife edge. i dont use oil, they wont char as well with oil
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    500F Smash’s on the BS last night....no sticking!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited July 2019
    Theophan said:
    I have a question:  What in blazes is the advantage of putting them on the griddle and not smashing them immediately?  I hear some people on this forum saying that's the way they do it, and now I see that the recipe linked-to on the BGE website says to wait a minute or two before smashing them.

WHY???

What's the advantage?  Far as I can see it only causes the outer parts to spend LESS time getting nice and crusty brown!  I put one on, SMASH it.  Put another one one, SMASH it...  Works like a charm for me.  Is there something I'm missing?

@Theophan I have wondered that as well. The only think I can think of is it does let the meatball warm up a little first. Even though only a small area of the meat sphere is in contact with the griddle, the rest of the ball is still getting radiant heat. Perhaps letting it warm up a little like that helps to get a more uniform patty by loosening things up and making the meat more malleable. 

FWIW, I have only tried the true smash on the grill a couple of times and my patties came out in the shape of Texas, so now I pre-form them into patties and then smash them a little more on the griddle. 

*Not that I have anything against Texas, just not the shape I was going for. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• onpoint456
    onpoint456 Posts: 204
    BeerMike said:
    I didn’t have any sticking issues at 500*.  Here is a picture of some smashed burgers on a Lodge 14 inch cast iron pizza pan.  

What griddle do you have there? I'm in the market for something. Anything. 
    BeerMike said:

He said it was a Lodge 14”. I found a 12” square CI griddle at Goodwill 
    Member since 2009
  • onpoint456
    onpoint456 Posts: 204
    500 said:
    BeerMike said:

He said it was a Lodge 14”. I found a 12” square CI griddle at Goodwill 
    Ah I completely missed that.
  • BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    BeerMike said:

This griddle is the Lodge P14P3  14 inch Cast Iron Pizza Pan.  I also use it to pan fry chicken breasts and so much more.  You can’t go wrong with Lodge products.  😀
    I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • Theophan

@Theophan I have wondered that as well.... Perhaps letting it warm up a little like that helps to get a more uniform patty by loosening things up and making the meat more malleable. 

... now I pre-form them into patties and then smash them a little more on the griddle....
    Interesting -- thanks!

And I'm curious: when you pre-form the patties and only smash them a little more, do you still get that amazing browned surface all across the burger?  I put them on round, like golf balls, maybe a little bigger, but yeah, sometimes after smashing they're kinda funky shapes.  :)
  • BeerMike said:

Does the Egg lid close when you use that pan?
  • Does the lid close when you use that?
    I’m making Oklahoma Fried Onion Burgers today. Giving it a shot with 96/4 lean ground beef. Mrs. 500 overruled my suggestion of 80/20.  Here is my inspiration to tackle this, (starts at 5:00 minute mark);
    https://youtu.be/cdvZC91YpMs
    Member since 2009
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    500 said:
    I’m making Oklahoma Fried Onion Burgers today. Giving it a shot with 96/4 lean ground beef. Mrs. 500 overruled my suggestion of 80/20.  Here is my inspiration to tackle this, (starts at 5:00 minute mark);
    https://youtu.be/cdvZC91YpMs
    I’d tell her it’s lean and go get the 80-20. That’s the whole point imo. The fat caramelizing the surface of the beef and keeping the very thin patties moist and loose. Diet smash burgers, huh? 
    I’m going to add a thin slather of mayo to the ball before grilling it. I can’t be doing a bait and switch of the lean beef. Happy wife = Happy life
    Member since 2009
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I smash em before putting them on the griddle
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
    Question; I’m going use a cast iron griddle on top of the main grid. Once I get it all heated up, if I get the dome to 500*, won’t that CI griddle be way hotter?  I’m looking for 500* at the grid. What would the dome temp be to get there?  Am I overthinking this?
    Member since 2009
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Yes, you are overthinking it. Get the dome to 500 and smash away. This is just one mans opinion though.  ;)

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited October 2020
    Really hard to say. I use an  infrared thermo. Most times don’t even close the dome after lighting the fire if I’m just using to sear over flames or in the cast iron. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    Hmm, I prefer sticking.  I get a real nice crust.  Then use a sharp spatula to scrape off and flip.

I let the balls sit for a bit before smashing so they stick good with no sliding.

I do oil by burger press so it does not stick when smashing.  I use bacon fat for that.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
    edited October 2020
    I had moderate success with the super lean 96/4 ground beef. Started with 5 Oz. balls, super thin sliced sweet onion, and American cheese. I slathered a small amount of Blue Plate Light Mayo on my meatball before grilling.  Got a decent crust but it just wouldn’t press down enough to have a lacy edge like I wanted, I’m think because of how lean it was. But it had a great oniony flavor and cheese glued it all together. Mrs. 500 wasn’t interested in an Oklahoma Fried Onion Burger, so hers was topped with sautéed mushrooms and thin Swiss. Will try again with 80/20 on a day when we aren’t counting points. 

Member since 2009
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    I have a 36'' Blackstone I do my smash burgers as hot as I can get that thing probably nearing 500º.   I don't see any problem with that 

2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM