Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Portland OR Area (Food, Beverages, Exp)

My wife and I are planning a trip to Portland OR for a week long vacation.  We will be staying in Portland for a few days and then driving out to the coast staying in Newport, OR for a few nights.

I am looking for a list of must dos: Food (seafood), Craft Beer, and Experiences!

Thank you

XL BGE
WSM 18.5
Currently live in Southern Oklahoma/ North Texas region
Born and raised in Chicago! Da BEARS

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Downtown there are tons of food shacks- can’t go wrong and lots of options. 

Pine State biscuit- get the Reggie
    Greensboro, NC
  • Thank you
    XL BGE
    WSM 18.5
  • Wolfpack said:

Wolfpack - Ever been to

XL BGE
    WSM 18.5
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    If you take Highway 26 to the coast then this is a very cool place for breakfast/brunch along the way.  Camp 18 Restaurant.  

http://www.camp18restaurant.com/
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    https://www.beastpdx.com/ - James Beard award winning restaurant

Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • HellrodKC
    HellrodKC Posts: 174
    Wolfpack said:

For what its worth - a lot of the shacks are closed on the weekends, which I wish I had known ahead of time. We were still able to find plenty to eat, but there are a lot more options during the week. 
  • Thanks for all the ideas!
    XL BGE
    WSM 18.5
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    A little late, here, but a few notes.

You will find even small sandwich shops w. their own line of craft beers. More beer on Portland OR than one can imagine. A shop called Belmont Station has 1200 beers, w. meads and wines besides.

Being only about 90 min. from the ocean, all of the fish and sea food I had was very fresh, and well prepared. Had fresh octopus at a higher end place called "Higgins" in down town. Was surprised at how mild the flavor was, and firm the flesh was.

There is a crab cake season, don't know what it is, but there were a few places on the coast that had them off season.

There are food cart pods in many places. The bigger ones tend to be nicer, not for the quality of the food, but the variety. Hawaiian next to ramen, Indian next to empanadas, etc. Oh, and beer.