Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long does lump last doing a turbo cook at 350F ?

Not really an issue, yet, but something I need to know more about...

How long does lump last doing a Turbo cook at 350F ? (I'm looking to you @stlcharcoal !)

Here's my cook today:

0600  LGBE lit with a firebowl full of fresh, brand new bag of Rockwood + 4 hickory chunks 

0630  Two 8#-9# pork shoulders go on at 350F.  Every hour or so visual check LBGE was holding VERY SOLID at 350F

First real meat temp check.  Both shoulders at 200F+ all over, dome temp down to 300F, Foiled-Toweled-Coolered, Removed platesetter and lump was nearly gone!

SETTINGS
Lower vent wide open w/ screen closed.
Top Smokeware cap about 3/4" to inch open

• Is this about what we should expect with Turbo cooking? 
  • You get about 5 to 6 hrs of Turbo cooking with a full basket of lump? 
  • Is there something else I should try ?

0600 - Fire is lit, pork is rubbed.

1200 - Pork at 200F+

1205 - Lump is gone!

Yeah, I know my fire ring is cracked.  The replacement is safe in a box in the garage until this one is no longer functioning...

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    My large will last awhile at 350. Not sure if I could give you fair assessment, but I usually fill it up to just below the plate setter. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Have you checked your thermometer? Might be running hotter than you think 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Need a lump level before pic.  If you filled just to the top of fire bowl I'd say that may be about right.  I always fill until lump touches heat deflector.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Have you checked your thermometer? Might be running hotter than you think 
    It's been a minute, but if it is off, it's not by much... most of my other cooks are coming in as expected.  But it's a great thought and I'll check before I do my 16# brisket tomorrow!  Thanks!

• vb4677
    kl8ton said:
    Need a lump level before pic.  If you filled just to the top of fire bowl I'd say that may be about right.  I always fill until lump touches heat deflector.  
    Yeah... wasn't expecting this today, but for sure tomorrow (brisket) I'll snap a pic prior to lighting!  Good to hear that it is within the norm.  I guess all my L&S's have always had a lot of lump remain... and was sorta expecting the same.
    I guess what this means is, if you're gonna Turbo cook, don't wait around to put the longer cooking proteins on!
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    how much coal did you start with?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    as you add more cold butt it takes a bigger fire to hold dome temp for the first few hours of the cook. just one butt and you would have had more lump
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Can you weigh the bag and see how much is left?

350 for 6 hrs should not be an issue if the firebox was in fact full.  
  • vb4677

I'd say I had filled to about the blue line...
  • KKoterski
    KKoterski Posts: 16
    Definitely check your thermo calibration. Bottom vent wide open typically means a very hot fire, even with the top 3/4" open. That pork also looks dark for 6hrs at 350...
  • alaskanassasin
    You have plenty of space to add more lump.   Like others have said I fill mine all the way to the top of the fire ring for a long cook.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• I don't have an ash basket and mine never runs out when doing turbos.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • alaskanassasin
    sometimes the plate setter is sitting on the charcoal!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• vb4677
    Heard. 

MORE LUMP!  CHECK THERMO! 

Thanks everyone!  This is why I love this forum!!!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited July 2019
    Did you dump the lump straight out of the bag ( like normal folks lol)? You might have gotten a long piece wedged in the basket and lump piled on top of it creating the illusion of more lump than was actually there. I have to watch that on my medium. 
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    Yes but KAB's are known to burn hotter faster and distort thermo calibrations, also use double the amount of lump... =)
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Yes but KAB's are known to burn hotter faster and distort thermo calibrations, also use double the amount of lump... =)
    True, but our lump "is known" to counteract all that thus lasting 4x as long!  It's a double negative exponential hyperbole........duh!!

@vb4677 In all seriousness, load up some more.  There wasn't enough in there.  I always fill it to the top, because it's not like it's going to go to waste.
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    If it lasts longer than 4 hours...
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • FSUMark
    FSUMark Posts: 35
    edited July 2019
    KKoterski said:
    Definitely check your thermo calibration. Bottom vent wide open typically means a very hot fire, even with the top 3/4" open. That pork also looks dark for 6hrs at 350...
    Yea, if I'm running wide open it's way hotter than 350! 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    FSUMark said:
    KKoterski said:
    Really all depend on how you start the fire and how wide open the DMFT is open.   I can control 290 with only top vent.   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • vb4677
    FSUMark said:
    KKoterski said:
    Really all depend on how you start the fire and how wide open the DMFT is open.   I can control 290 with only top vent.   
    I used 1 firestarter square opposite of the bottom vent (towards the back right of the LBGE).  Covered with a large piece of RW, then the last chunk of hickory...  And still I cruised up to 350F within :30.  
  • sabretooth04
    sabretooth04 Posts: 46
    edited July 2019
    Large BGE, Royal Oak, ash basket, filled to 1 inch below top of fire ring.  350 degree cook for 6 hours and shut down.  Butt pulled at 205.  Barley used anything.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    vb4677 said:

I'd say I had filled to about the blue line...
    Filling to the top of the firebox is about a 1/3 load.  I am guessing you had about a 1/2 load of charcoal. Fill it up and you will be able to go longer.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.