Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerky

Options
Hello Fellow EggHeads,
I need to whoop up some killer beef jerky this weekend. I will not be able to start until Saturday morning and need to have it ready by Monday. Thanks in advance for y’all throwing in. 

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    edited July 2019
    Options
    So many variables and flavors , what one likes another may not...me, I use eye of round, my Go to marinade is VeriVeri Terriake with added chili flakes, garlic onion powder and smoked paprika. Cure 1...marimate overnight and pat dry...i use a dehydrator but you can use your egg. Oven or hang dry

Can,you tell us a little more about your plan
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Here’s a recipe shared with me by the great @vb4677. Have made it several times and shared it with friends. We’ve all had great success.

Peppered Beef Jerky

INGREDIENTS

1 (12-oz.) can or bottle Dark Beer

1 cup Soy Sauce

1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce

3 Tbsp. Brown Sugar

1 Tbsp. Morton Tender Quick Curing Salt (Optional)

1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder

3 - 4 Tbsp., divided Coarsely Ground Black Pepper

2 lbs. Trimmed Beef Top or Bottom Round, Sirloin Tip, Flank Steak, or Wild Game

METHOD

• In a mixing bowl, combine the beer, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, Curing salt, garlic powder, and 2 tablespoons of black pepper.

• With a sharp knife, slice the beef into 1/4-inch thick slices against the grain. (This is easier if the meat is partially frozen.)

• Trim any fat or connective tissue.

• Put the beef slices in a large re-sealable plastic bag. Pour the marinade mixture over the beef, and massage the bag so that all the slices get coated with the marinade.

• Seal the bag and refrigerate for several hours, or overnight.

• Remove the beef from the marinade and discard the marinade.

• Dry the beef slices between paper towels.

• Sprinkle the beef slices generously on both sides with the pepper. Arrange the meat in a single layer directly on the grill grate.

• Smoke for 4 to 5 hours at 180F, or until the jerky is dry but still chewy and somewhat pliant when you bend a piece.

• Transfer to a re-sealable plastic bag while the jerky's still warm. Let the jerky rest for an hour at room temperature. Squeeze any air from the bag, and refrigerate the jerky. It will keep for several weeks.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    edited July 2019
    Options
    this is the one i like.  i just mound it in a big pile and keep flipping it,  this method is good if you have problems keeping temps under 175

Jerky, Beef, River City, Gfw

Philosophy: Experiment... Measure Nothing... Season until it tastes good!

INGREDIENTS:
    3-5 lb beef brisket sliced thin (1/8" or so) with the grain
    1 cup Soy Sauce
    3/4 cup Brown Sugar
    1/4 cup Dark Molasses
    1 tsp Onion Powder (or to taste)
    1 tsp Garlic Powder (or to taste - don't use fresh garlic - it will make the jerky bitter)
    1 tsp Black Pepper (or to taste)
    Dried Chilies Arbol chilies are my personal choice - cayenne are OK - avoid hot sauce because of the vinegar

Directions:
    1 Marinade the beef (3-5 lbs sliced thin) at least 1 hour. I typically do it (12 hours) overnight.
    2 Smoke over low heat (dome temperature 160 to 180 degrees) until desired texture. It may take 12 or more hours. Turn it every couple of hours.
    3 The strips of beef are placed on the grill to create the mound - the grill is preheated to 160-180 using firebricks and drip pan - I let the mound cook for about 1¼ hours and flip the whole thing using a 2nd grid - then it cooks for another hour - after 2¼ hours I'll take it off the grill and start to separate all the pieces from the mound - as the day progresses, I'll use a pair of tongs to turn the jerky about every hour and make sure that all the pieces get rotated.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    main thing is get the salt right.  Oven is much better for drying than the egg.
    edited July 2019
    Options

I like to put it on the egg for a little smoke, usually with the amazin smoker, and then I put it in the dehydrator.
    NOLA
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    buzd504 said:

I like to put it on the egg for a little smoke, usually with the amazin smoker, and then I put it in the dehydrator.
    I used to start jerky in egg for smoke, then finish in Excalibur too, but not anymore. It's so much easier in my outdoor oven aka pellet pooper.
    canuckland
  • Alaskabitboss
    Options
    my first attempt at jerky on BGE.  so far so good, but it cooked fast!  was running 150-200.  now to finish in dehydrator and seal some up for later!
    I fish and grill year round in Fairbanks, Alaska
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    my first attempt at jerky on BGE.  so far so good, but it cooked fast!  was running 150-200.  now to finish in dehydrator and seal some up for later!
      Hey jerky looks good! Welcome to the forum!  Former Alaskan here, I remember visiting Chena hot springs when I was a kid, I bet that place has changed.
      Anyway post often and have fun!

South of Columbus, Ohio.