Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where were you on July 20, 1969?

mEGG_My_Day
mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
edited July 2019 in Off Topic
I really hadn’t thought about the 50th anniversary of this event prior to @lousubcap post in another thread.  Figured this deserves its own thread. 

This one is for the older folks.  I can’t remember where I was yesterday, but I’ll never forget that day.  It was my 7th birthday.  My family was on vacation in Ocean Isle, NC.  We were huddled around an old black and white TV in a rental house on the beach. Interestingly, I’ll be in NC this week for my 57th birthday. Other side of the state in Highlands.   Where were you on that historic day? 

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet

Comments

• erniemcclain
    erniemcclain Posts: 505
    Our fam was on vacation in Ludington, Michigan.  We were eating ice cream at a drive-in listening to the radio. 

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Watching it on my friends black and white tv also. We moved in November and never went back.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    The Eagle has landed.

I watched it from the rec hall in the boys home. They woke us up to watch this historic event on an old admiral television that used a bow tie, in-door antenna.

I watched Walter Cronkite do the coverage.

Then I saw "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind".

I never heard the word "a" in his quote. But it is there.

Then we were all hearded back to bed.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited July 2019
    Watching it at home on our BW TV.  (Nerd Alert: Decent reception given our location and since it was on a VHF channel, not UHF).  I was about 5.5 years old at the time.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    In the living room, age 5, at our home in Davenport Iowa.  Propped up by pillows in front of the house, the whole family watched. 
    At 16 years old, I know exactly where I was when I heard about JFK and I know I watched Armstrong's "step", but I have no recollection of the event. In July '69. I was nearly 22 years old but I really don't remember any big deal about this event.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    Was 13yo, at a rented beach house in Barnstable MA. Was more interested in the 14yo female up the street if I remember correctly.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768

I was 3, so, probably running around the living room annoying the fvck out of my parents while they tried to focus on the 10 inch black & white tv we still had when I left for college 15 years later

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I was still a few years from lift off, so I missed out.  I do know that Mr. #2 on the Moon is a 1951 Army Grad. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    About 10.5 years from existing 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    With about 10 of my friends, huddled around a TV. We had been glued to the radio that afternoon, listening to the landing, and were super excited to be able to see Armstrong climb down the ladder and take that first step. Really couldn't believe how lucky we were that NASA had made it possible to see the whole thing live.

I do believe he flubbed the quote, leaving out the "a" but given the circumstances who could fault him for that?
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • BigreenGreg
    BigreenGreg Posts: 581
    7 years old, at my uncle's & aunt's ranch. watching on tiny B&W as others described.
    I knew how important it was from the focus of the older folks. Also first and last time on a horse.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,546
    Living in South Africa no TV, I think SA only got TV around 1974.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    19 years old and 19 days away from completing boot camp at Recruit Naval Training Center, Great Lakes Illinois. Didn't get to see the landing or Armstrong's first step on the moon live, as I was a bit busy then. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Easy to remember. I was just shy of 12yo, and we didn’t have church service that night. Instead, we met at one of the member’s homes to watch. I loved all the space stuff, and this was even more special with the rare time that church as “let out”. Even with the Apollo moon missions, the Gemini flights were my favorites. Ed White’s space walk. The Agena and then Gemini rendezvous and dockings. I ate up the coverage, especially the use of models, diagrams and crude animations. I thought the capsule was the coolest looking and was too young during Mercury to appreciate it. 
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    On the farm in Vance county NC. Watching with my grandfather.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • I remember watching it with my family in our old house.  I didn’t appreciate what an achievement it was because I was a youngster.
    Flint, Michigan
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    They had prime day way back then too?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    In Japan, sleeping. Didn't see it live cuz time zones and parents didn't wake us up at oh-dark-thirty just to watch it happening in real time.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Does everyone really think it really happened?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • rodell
    rodell Posts: 1
    I was running Master Control at WSIU-TV in Carbondale, IL as we carried the CBS feed.  What an experience.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,127
    Pitiful that 50 years later, we have to Uber to space. 
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    5 years old.  Grandma's house in Portland, OR.  Just welcomed dad home from Viet Nam.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I can’t tell you exactly where I was during the actual landing but as an 8 year old boy, I was all into the space program. I had the GI Joe Gemini capsule and the Snoopy Astronaut. I made a model and then a clay diorama of the lunar lander. I dreamed of space and those guys were (and still are) my heroes. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    5 years old in the living room eating my jiffy pop, salem  nh. 
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I was three months old so I probably slept through it. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    Nearly 15 years from existence. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Nearly 15 years from existence. 

me2

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.