Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Homemade and Hot smoked Kielbasa

Options

My wife is Polish and more then a decade ago I was introduced to Kielbasa (fresh and smoked) and smoked was always my favorite (usually from a Utica, NY shop).  KB & scrambled Eggs has been a tradition for holiday breakfast that I always look forward to.

After a long time I finally tried making my own KB and smoking it on my Large Big Green Egg!  It came out Smoky and Delicious.  For a first time trying I am really happy how it came out, better then anything I’ve ever bought at a store!  Kids loved it too which was a welcome surprise.  

Official Recipes from the government of Poland

The extra cooking steps are so the sausages could be stored at room temp for a long time, mine were going into freezer so After stuffing and conditioning steps I only did a hot smoke on the Egg for 80 minutes at 165-200 then quick cool on counter rack (I had hard time keeping temp low even with a BBQ guru CyberQ gizmo the fire went out). I may get an A-MAZE-IN pellet gadget someday for cold or warm smoking in future

~70% Pork shoulder,  30% chuck beef

Ready to start

Lean pork on left,  beef and fattier pork on right

Double course ground (6mm) lean pork on left,  coarse+fine(4mm) ground then food processor for beef and fatty pork. Add cold water, salt, pepper, garlic and cure#1

Mix it all together!

Stuffed 8-9lbs,  since I made a quadruple batch this took me 4+ hours to do,  the Kitchenaid attachments certainly worked but next time I might invest in a standalone heavier duty grinder and stuffer to speed up the process.   Plus the first time always takes 50% longer too just stumbling through each and every step in the process  :o

Smoked with cherry and hickory wood for about 80minutes up to 160

Finished product!

Great smoky flavor even for only 80min of hot smoke,  cold smoking would go for another 6-12 hours,  honestly I think these tasted great just like this and SWMBO doesn’t like it too smoky so maybe this is good in future too.  

My 6 year old son (aka “Little Dude”) said this was “the best sausage ever”,  he hugged me for making it,  both kids loved it,  it made all the work worth it  =)  B)

Foodsaver about 7lbs leftover,  into the basement freezer for later

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    eggcellent, dude!!!
    Options
    eggcellent, dude!!!
    That.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    Nice! Lots of Polish and Ukrainian delis around me that make awesome stuff with tons of garlic that remind you of what you ate for days. Never tried to attempt on my own though, good stuff.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    What a first post! Welcome. The hug says it all!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Nice post!

I've been wanting to try this sort of thing for a couple of years and have bought a few books on sausage making but wasn't sure that this was something I would want to do often enough to justify the expense of the gear I'd need. Now I'm thinking a meat grinder is likely to be showing up on my doorstep this summer.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Wow - great first post! Welcome aboard.  That looks delicious. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Very nice.  It's great you got the pay off from your son, too.  Like you said, a lot of work, but that makes it all worth it.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Fvck Ya!....thanks for sharing and Props for the Sausage Effort !!

Welcome and Nailed It right out of the box 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Nicely done Sir! Excellent looking sausages. How did the food processor work out doing the emulsion? Definitely on my to do list.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    WOW that looks great!  I'm astonished by how little garlic the recipe called for, though.  Interesting.  Looks and sounds fantastic!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Nicely done Sir! Excellent looking sausages. How did the food processor work out doing the emulsion? Definitely on my to do list.
    I bought the Kindle version of that book this morning. Skimming thru it I came across this:

A device I'd never heard of or seen before but the caption does mention that a food processor will be fine. Wondering if it would be a good idea to toss in the occasional ice cube in the food processor.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options

My wife is Polish and more then a decade ago I was introduced to Kielbasa (fresh and smoked) and smoked was always my favorite (usually from a Utica, NY shop).  KB & scrambled Eggs has been a tradition for holiday breakfast that I always look forward to.

After a long time I finally tried making my own KB and smoking it on my Large Big Green Egg!  It came out Smoky and Delicious.  For a first time trying I am really happy how it came out, better then anything I’ve ever bought at a store!  Kids loved it too which was a welcome surprise.  

Official Recipes from the government of Poland

The extra cooking steps are so the sausages could be stored at room temp for a long time, mine were going into freezer so After stuffing and conditioning steps I only did a hot smoke on the Egg for 80 minutes at 165-200 then quick cool on counter rack (I had hard time keeping temp low even with a BBQ guru CyberQ gizmo the fire went out). I may get an A-MAZE-IN pellet gadget someday for cold or warm smoking in future

~70% Pork shoulder,  30% chuck beef

Ready to start

Lean pork on left,  beef and fattier pork on right

Double course ground (6mm) lean pork on left,  coarse+fine(4mm) ground then food processor for beef and fatty pork. Add cold water, salt, pepper, garlic and cure#1

Mix it all together!

Stuffed 8-9lbs,  since I made a quadruple batch this took me 4+ hours to do,  the Kitchenaid attachments certainly worked but next time I might invest in a standalone heavier duty grinder and stuffer to speed up the process.   Plus the first time always takes 50% longer too just stumbling through each and every step in the process  :o

Smoked with cherry and hickory wood for about 80minutes up to 160

Finished product!

Great smoky flavor even for only 80min of hot smoke,  cold smoking would go for another 6-12 hours,  honestly I think these tasted great just like this and SWMBO doesn’t like it too smoky so maybe this is good in future too.  

My 6 year old son (aka “Little Dude”) said this was “the best sausage ever”,  he hugged me for making it,  both kids loved it,  it made all the work worth it  =)  B)

Foodsaver about 7lbs leftover,  into the basement freezer for later

Fantastic.  I love charcutier, and have cured with pink salt but never made sausage. Beautiful cook.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Way cool!!!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Don't take this the wrong way, but your sausage looks amazing. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • LittleDudeBBQ
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I bought the Kindle version of that book this morning. Skimming thru it I came across this:

A device I'd never heard of or seen before but the caption does mention that a food processor will be fine. Wondering if it would be a good idea to toss in the occasional ice cube in the food processor.
    The food processor was a champ, I emulsified the beef/fatty pork in two batches just so it would fit,  blended up maybe less than a minute per batch, it was really a breeze (Kitchenaid food processor).   I may skip the emulsifying in a future batch just to experiment 🧪 
  • LittleDudeBBQ
    Options
    Theophan said:
    WOW that looks great!  I'm astonished by how little garlic the recipe called for, though.  Interesting.  Looks and sounds fantastic!
    Thanks!  I weighed the garlic and did double the weight in the recipe since our house loves garlic(Italian myself).  It was still 1/2 clove *4 batch=2 cloves the recipe called for but I guess the cloves I used were big so by weight it was double.  Another great experiment for a future batch!
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Fantastic!  Very informative and looks great.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio