Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar Plank Salmon Question

Options
kent8888
kent8888 Posts: 16
Last night I put marinated salmon on a soaked cedar plank into my small BGE at a grill temp of 360. The temp immediately dropped to 270, then continued down to 230 even as I opened top and bottom vents. The temp very slowly climbed to 410 when I got to my target internal temp of 140. The cook took a little over 40 minutes instead of the expected 15 to 20.
I suspect evaporation caused the temp drop. But I don't know how to avoid this in the future. 
Is this a problem others have had? What are the options?   
Sacramento, California

Comments

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Just a thought, but are you allowing the egg to stabilize at your desired temp for a good 30 - 45 minutes before cooking?

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • kent8888
    kent8888 Posts: 16
    Options
    Great thought! I did hurry the start. Without an adequate temp stabilization period the dome temp was more easily thrown off. Thank you!
    Sacramento, California