Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

gas free at last!!

Options
1911Man
1911Man Posts: 366
Last fall I got my first BGE and transitioned over to using that for all my outdoor cooking needs (pretty quickly). As such the gas grill I had bought in December 2015 was sitting completely unused (or loved). I tried to sell it to at least get a few dollars to put towards charcoal. Nope, no buyers.

Finally I put it out for free (a 'karma' item on another regional forum). Over the weekend on guy said he would come get it Monday after work. Yeah, he didn't show or message.

Got another guy (much closer to me) that put in for it and then actually came over this afternoon to get it. He thought he could break it down into pieces he could move. That didn't happen. He took the two LPG tanks that I was giving with it though. Just before dinner time, he returned with help to get it into his truck. 

So, finally, there's no more gas grill on my deck. Leaves me more room for my BGE (current and future additional eggs). I'm just glad it's gone and I didn't need to take it to the scrap yard. There's still some life left in the thing for the new owner/user. Now that it's finally gone, I simply can't see myself ever getting another gas grill. 
Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
Living free in the 603 (Pelham).

Comments

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Excellent, nice that it will be reused.   
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Congratulations!  I'm with you -- I used to have a gas grill, but when my wife bought me my first Big Green Egg, that was the end of that.  Sometimes when traveling I cook on a gas grill, and it's OK, I guess, but it's never as good as my BGE.  I know some people here like to have both, but not me.
  • 1911Man
    Options
    I had originally thought about getting a smaller gas grill for 'quick' cooks. But then I started to use the egg more, and for those too. Also found that the time it took the BGE to get up to temp was no more than the gasser. If anything it was faster. Plus the temperature was more stable. Or recovered faster in colder weather. 
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    And here I thought you had just taken Beano. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nothing wrong with gas grills, they're convenient and I'd rather have something grilled on gas from a talented chef over run of the mill backyard BBQ on charcoal.   

That said, the charcoal flavor can elevate a dish.  But live by the sword, die by the sword.  It can also ruin it.
    Options
    I love my gas grill. I will never be without the ability to grill within 5 minutes nor will I be without a nice smoker. Each has it's place in my household. To each their own.  
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nothing wrong with gas grills, they're convenient and I'd rather have something grilled on gas from a talented chef over run of the mill backyard BBQ on charcoal.   

That said, the charcoal flavor can elevate a dish.  But live by the sword, die by the sword.  It can also ruin it.
    Blasphemy!  You should be banned!!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Theophan
    Options
    etherdome said:
    I love my gas grill. I will never be without the ability to grill within 5 minutes nor will I be without a nice smoker. Each has it's place in my household. To each their own.  
    Once I switched to Rockwood, I almost never have white smoke.  So when I use my torch to get several places going in the lump, I really think I'm ready to grill in 10 minutes.  It's a very small difference, and, having used both, I much prefer the food I cook on my BGEs to anything I've cooked on gas.  I grill on gas every year when we rent a beach house, and it's OK, but never as good as what I cook at home on my Eggs.

I will say, though, that even though I'm ready to grill really quickly, and even though I don't spend very much time messing with charcoal and ashes, gas is a little quicker, and a little less fuss, so people who are super busy, just never have any time at all, sure, a few minutes saved might be worth it, sometimes.  I'm old and retired, so that's not an issue for me.
  • 1911Man
    Options
    And here I thought you had just taken Beano. 
    NEVER!!! 

I typically start the BGE when I'm making my salad and then it's more than ready for when I'm looking to cook on it. I would have to start the gas grill about the same time so no real change for me. Plus, when you open the lid on the gasser, it would take a lot longer to recover the temperature than my BGE. 

I need to go to the local BGE reseller today for something else. I'm going to see if the guy I need to talk with about them is there. For things like getting the next one delivered. Since I live alone, getting a large up onto the deck, and into a nest, isn't really something I want to attempt. Even if they want $$ to deliver it (as long as it's not a stupid amount) I might just do it. Unless I can locate a good used one before fall. ;)
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I have battery powered blower and weed eater. I am down to the lawn mower which I will replace with battrie when current bites the dist. Gonna still posses a Blackstone then
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    Still need propane for the Blackstone. I see a lot of gassers for sale on the local classifieds for cheap, but those 20# cylinders usually sell fast for $20 each.  Then people swap them for newer filled bottles at the store.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,470
    Options

I preferred the grilled peaches off my old gasser than off the Egg, but that's about it (and it's not a huge difference).  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Gas grills be damned.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Haha. Love the kool-aid. 

If I’m being honest, my favorite cooking devices are - in order - WFO, BGE, Gas Grill. 

How often do I use them?  Gas Grill, BGE, WFO.  I cook a lot on the gasser, if you get a nice once it’s super convenient. 700 degrees in 2 minute and not a lot of heat loss due to all of the infrared ceramic tubes. 

SWMBO says it keeps the inside of the house clean...so she likes all of the grills. 
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    @1911Man ... Where are you going to store all of your BGE accessories??
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Theophan
    Options
  • Surveyor_Egg
    Options
    WFO=Wood fired oven

------

1 Large BGE

Boston, MA

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I realize some  here are egg hardonoholics but the gasser has its place.  It’s about the operator not the unit. Gass on grasshopper 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    gas free is good, as long as it isn't a gas grill

https://youtu.be/d2QNuDUTocE
    Options
    gas free is good, as long as it isn't a gas grill

https://youtu.be/d2QNuDUTocE
    I had a beeper in the 90's, almost forgot about that.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    My gasser took a sh!t about a year ago. I gave it to the scrap guys when they came around. I haven't replaced it. I just changed my order of operations. My butcher is on my home from work, I stop almost daily. Whatever looks good is what I cook. When I get home, if I'm cooking on the egg, the first thing I do is light the egg. I set the vents for 350-400 (weather depending). Take a shower. Adjust the temp. Prep the food, yada, yada, yada. The egg is ready.

I did miss the ability for two zone cooking with the gasser, then I got a half stone from CGS and that was also replaced. 

I'll always have propane for the Blackstone, but I don't foresee another gasser in my future. I think they are fine and have their place, as does the egg, Blackstone, sous vide, oven, range, etc., but I think I'd buy an offset stick smoker or a smaller egg, maybe both, before I'd buy another gasser. 
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • SmokeyLopey
    SmokeyLopey Posts: 435
    Options
    I got rid of my gasser and the thing I miss the most is having somewhere to put my EGGcessories--especially a very hot plate  setter when changing over to reverse sear. 
  • Theophan
    Options
    WFO=Wood fired oven
    Thanks!

@NorthPilot06 was talking about -- thanks again! 
  • 1911Man
    Options
    When not in use, the deck box. If hot, I have two marble slabs (on square cinder blocks) that I can place things on IF I need to keep using the egg without them. 

This morning I placed the two slab setups next to each other (marble touching) to make it more convenient to use for this. I first smoked some beef to go into the batch of chili. Cleaned the drip pan (CGS woo ring setup) and then added more flavor wood for the turkey breast section that went on next. Got it going around 250F since the start. 

The beef was just a roast I grabbed from the grocery store yesterday. Cut into slabs about 1-1/2" thick to get more surface area for smoke to penetrate. I was going to grind it up, but decided to just cut it into small cubes (or cubish shapes) in stead. Cooked the beans ahead to make it easier (crock pot on high for a few hours). Now it's just simmering.

I never had a gasser that could get even to 400 degrees in less than 15 minutes. Even in the summer. In the winter, it would take longer to get up to temp than the medium BGE. I was also lighting the gas grill about the same time as I do the BGE before dinner. So no noticeable difference there. 

We'll see if I have use for a large BGE come the October/November time frame. The local dealer actually offers deliver for all of $50. I don't have an issue with that since I live alone and don't want to have to deal with getting either the neighbor or trying to get a friend to come up/over to help me set it up. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,470
    Options
    I got rid of my gasser and the thing I miss the most is having somewhere to put my EGGcessories--especially a very hot plate  setter when changing over to reverse sear. 
    One autumn several years ago the local store had glaze-fired ceramic pots on sale for, iirc, $7; I picked up a big one, about a foot tall and maybe 18" in diameter, and it sits on the patio.  The Large grid fits on the top rim, the Small grid I just balance along one edge, and its pretty handy (looks nice too).  I could put the hot Small grid inside it, but someone keeps filling it up with dry leaves and they'd catch fire.    ;)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• 1911Man
    Options
    @The_Stache Picture to show my current deck configuration. ;)

The marble slabs used to flank the egg. I think having them like this makes them more useful though. Deck box holds two large bags of wood chunks, ash bucket, bucket of charcoal and a few other odds and ends (for cleaning the ash out and such). Ceramic stone and drip pan go into the box once they've cooled down to ambient (and I've cleaned the pan). 
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    I used to grill on the gasser for weeknight cooks but when I got an AR combo and extender from CGS I started using the egg more and more.  It’s pretty much ready to go by the time I’ve prepped the food.  The gasser serves as an accessory holder most the time now.  Nothing wrong with using a gas grill in my opinion, I’ve just been happy with my current BGE setup. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    My thoughts exactly. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.