Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked salmon too salty! Help!

Options
I brined and smoked a salmon filet and even though I rinsed the salmon, soaked it for half hour and rinsed again, it’s still too salty. I was Using kosher salt so I dont Get it. Anyway, anyone know what I can do now? Can I still Soak it again? 

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    use less salt or soak longer
    First off, is it too salty to eat?  If so, you have nothing to lose and a second rinse won't hurt.
    John

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Nothing further to add about today's crisis.  Don't know your brine composition but my generic brines are all 16:1 water to salt, FYI.
    BTW-aside from all this, welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    what kind of kosher?  I use diamond crystal which is one of the less salty salts 
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I dry brine for 4-8 hours with equal parts salt and sugar with a little black pepper. It always works. The only time I ever had an issue was when I kept one in the dry brine for 12+ hours. To me these issues are more a function of time rather than salt concentration of the brine. At least for dry brining. But, I’m the last person anyone would ever call an expert on these things.  
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    For salmon I typically use a brine that's 2:1 sugar:salt.
    Options
    For salmon I typically use a brine that's 2:1 sugar:salt.
    This what I use too.  You need to recalibrate.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Less 'salty' salt
    Less salt, more water
    Less brine time

First one I did I brined according to the recipe - 24 hrs - way too salty
    Here's what I do now...

2 gal water - hot
    2 cup kosher salt
    2 cup brown sugar
    ½ cup pure Maple Syrup

Mixed into stainless bucket the day before, then refrigerated
    Brine in refrigerator for about 4-6 hours (closer to 4 than 6)
    Air Dry with fan to create pellicle
    Smoke at 150F-200F for 2-3 hours

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • FlyOverCountry
    Options
    That’s because it’s from the ocean you dummy.
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    I have a dry brine recipe that I have used many times and that yields a kippered style product.  I used to do this on my Big Chief Smoker when I lived out in Bristol Bay and had access to more salmon than I knew what to do with.  I've only done it a few times since I moved to the big city.  Anyway, It is very light on the salt.  It's designed to be eaten within a few weeks, though.  Not great for canning or long term storage.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore