Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vacuum seal broke on shipped frozen brisket

Options
dbrasco778
dbrasco778 Posts: 8
received a nice brisket as a gift from a friend vacuum seal was broken on it and meat was still frozen. Instantly wrapped it in a pound or so of plastic wrap and put it in the freezer.  Do you think it will hold or should I cook it soon and just vacuum seal the leftovers. It’s a 14 lb brisket and I won’t have the necessary army to help eat it this weekend.  I don’t want it to go to waste and am worried that if I don’t cook it I’ll end up wasting a high end brisket. 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Don't know when you would have the army available but I would be mindful of freezer burn if held too long.  You do have  some time, measured in weeks to complete the draft and assemble the troops for the banquet.  Advertise and you can likely accelerate the process.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,648
    Options
    Double down with some freezer paper and tape
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    Happens all the time for us - if it's a fully smoked brisket and was completely frozen you should just remove the original packaging and re-vac freeze if you've got that capability. That should leave you 6 months to a year to enjoy

If it's a raw brisket - same would apply if it was still rock hard. Just reseal and get in the freezer asap. If it's started to defrost though, you'd want to cook and freeze the finished smoked product
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    it will hold for a couple months