Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time Doing Chicken Legs on BGE

havertyj
havertyj Posts: 118
Tried chicken legs on the BGE tonight. First time trying them. Did seasoning on the legs. Kept the temp around 275 - 300. Took a lot longer than I was expecting. Indirect I cooked about 75 minutes. The skin did not look very good, so removed the stone and put direct on heat. Helped a little but basically had spots of skin on the legs that was chewy. Need to work on my chicken legs for the future. Turned out OK and wife said they were good, but I was not happy with them.

What is your go to process for chicken legs on BGE?
♦︎ John ♦︎ Large BGE ♦︎ Topeka, KS ♦︎ My Blog ♦︎

Comments

• wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    I've struggled with the chicken skin a bunch.  Raised grid has helped a noticeably.  Wings are easy but the first spatchcock chicken I did had a wonderful skin on it. My raised grid setup is fixed but it's basically at the felt line with no platesetter and higher in the dome (which I've come to like) with it in for indirect cooks.

NC - LBGE
  • lentsboy007
    lentsboy007 Posts: 416
    Get u some kind of raised grid or rig up a way to raise grid to the felt line your self . That way u can cook direct , but far enough from coals to not burn up.  And cook chicken past 165, allow the skin to get crispy . Set grill to 375 or so . I bought the Eggspander. It was a rip off money wise , but works well . 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    I prefer indirect high in the dome. About 375-425. I don’t like doing chicken direct because of all the chicken fat dripping, it will just blow horrible smoke. Thick white smoke. I wrap the platesetter in foil. 
    NW IOWA
  • I’ve always had good results going raised direct.
    Flint, Michigan
  • havertyj
    @wardo I have not tried raising my grill. I have read about people doing so and sounds like a lot of benefit from doing so. I need to give that a try.

@lentsboy007, thanks! I need to check out raising the grill. I see people doing self made raises. Any you would recommend to purchase or best to make my own?

I see a few referencing grilling high in the dome for chicken. I need to check further into raising the grill as that sounds like it is the ticket. @Philly35, I was concerned about fat dropping too that I experienced on gas grills. I put down foil to catch the droppings but sounds like I need to do more with increasing the grill height.

Might even try raised direct as @Fred19Flintstone referenced.

Thank you everyone! I had the leftover drumsticks today and bad when there is chicken that cannot even be eaten because it was tough. Doing something wrong, but lots of good idea to correct the issue.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Raised direct 375 or raised indirect 425. I try to avoid new lump if going direct. Rancid chicken fat lump is nasty.

Getting the bird higher in the dome will yield better skin results 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    I cook most of my poultry indirect: however I cook higher in the dome and use temps in the 350 range. This allows for tender  bite through skin and helps the fat render.  Her is an example of some thighs Chef Norah Grace did.  Also do not be afraid to take darknmeat to a higher temp it can handle it 185-190 is no biggie just let it rest 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• havertyj
    @ColtsFan, you and others convinced me that I need to raise the grill level. I did not realize needed to get the grill higher for better results. I thought it was just about making more room for grilling. I am starting to see the benefits. This is my second year with BGE and still a lot to learn.

@ryantt, wow! Those look great!
  • ryantt
    @havertyj wish I could take credit but those were cooked by my little girl.  

• havertyj
    @ryantt She is doing masterful work! Looks fantastic!
  • ryantt
    Thanks @havertyj you can search for some of her cooks on her they are generally labeled Norah Grace.   She also has a Facebook and Instagram page we do together, great father daughter time, as she’s 10.  the_buckeye_bbq is what it is on both sites if you want to check it out. 

Also she get very excited when people say she’s doing a good job so I’ll make sure to show her.    She’ll be so happy to know an egghead approved.  

• OshawaDave
    OshawaDave Posts: 198
    I always cook chicken raised direct 375- 400.

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• havertyj
    Thanks @ryantt, I will check out her FaceBook and Instagram accounts. Thanks!
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Buckwoody Egger Posts: 665
    edited July 2019
    Get the inexpensive leg / wing hanging racks.  Works for drumsticks or for whole wings.  Pic is wings and a row of legs too.  Put a sheet of aluminum foil at the bottom, you can wrap it at the base of the rack legs at the ends.  Pre-season chicken lightly with kosher salt and pepper (or any rub, like bbq).  

Get egg to 425. Transport legs to egg on a baking sheet. Place rack directly on grill (with aluminum foil intact).  Direct cook but foil catches the chicken drips and keeps grill clean. Go wash baking sheet if it got any chicken drips on it, you will use it to carry the hot rack back inside after the cook.

Cook for 45 minutes or longer for crispy skin. You can literally cook legs and wings to 200 internal and they will still be juicy.  Especially if you bought a quality product like Publix green wise.

If you did any bbq rub legs, brush on bbq sauce when you are at 165 or so, leaving 10-15 minutes.  If you want buffalo wings or legs, just toss in Fred's Buffalo sauce.  I usually make a variety of plain, bbq, and whatever other rub. 

• havertyj
    @Buckwoody Egger I just watched a video the other day about those hanging racks. Looks pretty easy and might be worth something for me to try before trying to change around my grill height. Good information, thank you!