Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Egged Pizza in awhile

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200

Haven't egged a pizza in I don't know how long. Usually just do them in the oven but I just got "The Elements of Pizza" book and it says to cook at 550 and my oven only goes to 500 so the Egg it was.

I didn't realize that his recipes call for Type 00 flour and only having bread flour and AP flour on hand, I went with bread flour. Did the 24-48 hour dough. Came out pretty good, but trusty Amazon should have some Type 00 flour on my porch by the time I get home tonight.

First up was pepperoni and Italian sausage with half black olives cuz Duke's weird and like black olives.

Second one was some leftover brats from the night before with a little bit of sauerkraut that I tried to smash and drain to get out as much liquid as possible. Sounds a little weird and it was the first time I've ever done it. Actually wasn't that bad. I debated adding mustard, but ending up not.

Bottom got a few nice leopard spots on it.

Looking forward to trying more of his dough recipes and the sauces in the future.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    As always...Fantastic.
    What is the 24-48 hour dough step in the book?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    Nice!  It’s a great book.  I’ve tried many of the recipes in there.  Wait until you switch to 00 flour.  I assume you ordered some Caputo Blue?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Griffin
    Options
    Nice!  It’s a great book.  I’ve tried many of the recipes in there.  Wait until you switch to 00 flour.  I assume you ordered some Caputo Blue?

I ordered Antimo Caputo Antico Molino Napoli 00' Flour

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BR0K5AW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I did a search yesterday and I think Darian aka @Photo_Egg said he used it and it was good.

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    As always...Fantastic.

You make it in the evening and let it ferment in the fridge for 24-48 hours. I was kinda in a rush so I couldn't do any of the longer fermenting ones, but also didn't have time to do the make it in the morning and cook it that night as morning is hectic getting Duke up, fed, dressed and off to school. If I don't sit with him and remind him to eat he'll take hours to eat a meal.

Rowlett, Texas

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Griffin said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BR0K5AW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I did a search yesterday and I think Darian aka @Photo_Egg said he used it and it was good.

It’ll work fine, but try the blue.  The blue is made in particular for pizza.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Photo Egg said:
    As always...Fantastic.

You make it in the evening and let it ferment in the fridge for 24-48 hours. I was kinda in a rush so I couldn't do any of the longer fermenting ones, but also didn't have time to do the make it in the morning and cook it that night as morning is hectic getting Duke up, fed, dressed and off to school. If I don't sit with him and remind him to eat he'll take hours to eat a meal.
    Thanks, thought maybe it was a 2 step ferment of some kind.
    I used the flour you ordered. It was available from a small little specialty shop here in Galveston. I thought it was good but have never tried any other 00.
    You're a great Dad!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Griffin
    Options
    Griffin said:

I’ll try it when I run out. Thanks.

Rowlett, Texas

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Griffin said:

Also, give the mortadella and pistachio pizza from the book a try if you haven’t already.  I know it sounds kind of weird but that thing is amazing.
  • Griffin
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Griffin said:

Also, give the mortadella and pistachio pizza from the book a try if you haven’t already.  I know it sounds kind of weird but that thing is amazing.

I will. A lot of them sound good, but some of them I probably won't ever try.

Rowlett, Texas

• smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Nice cook.  That's a decent flour you purchased and is what I use.  I can recommend King Arthur's No-knead pizza dough.  It turns out well using that flour with around a 3 day cold-bulk (can go for six days):  https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/artisan-no-knead-pizza-crust-recipe
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    caputo blue fan as well I have never egged a za i use a za oven. Next time don't be shy of the mustard on the brat kraut za just add it after cooked it is delicious. Also if you only think of things day of you can mix your dough in the morning there is a 12 hour dough recipe in the book (its been a while since I read) that works real good I think you just had to add more yeast and never put in fridge but again its been a while so that may not be correct. I always do the 48 hour dough I just like it better but again im cooking at 950 not 550 so im sure there is going to be a difference
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • Griffin
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    caputo blue fan as well I have never egged a za i use a za oven. Next time don't be shy of the mustard on the brat kraut za just add it after cooked it is delicious. Also if you only think of things day of you can mix your dough in the morning there is a 12 hour dough recipe in the book (its been a while since I read) that works real good I think you just had to add more yeast and never put in fridge but again its been a while so that may not be correct. I always do the 48 hour dough I just like it better but again im cooking at 950 not 550 so im sure there is going to be a difference
    Thanks. I'd love to be able to make the dough in the morning, but on a weekday morning things are already too hectic rushing around trying to get the kid ready for school, making sure he's eating (he took over half an hour to eat a bowl of cereal this morning!!), feeding the dog and taking him out. It's just not practical unless I got up even earlier and I don't see that happening. LOL. Maybe on a weekend.

Rowlett, Texas

• BGEinMaine
    BGEinMaine Posts: 49
    Options
    That looks great! How long did you cook for? I haven't had great luck with pizza yet but I think it's because we haven't made our own dough and we're using a dough ball from the store and can't stretch it thin enough.
  • Griffin
    Options
    That looks great! How long did you cook for? I haven't had great luck with pizza yet but I think it's because we haven't made our own dough and we're using a dough ball from the store and can't stretch it thin enough.

These ones took about 5-6 minutes at 550F, but if you are using a dough ball from the store I'd recommend using their time and temps. It might have sugar in it and won't do well at higher temps. If you are having trouble stretching out the dough ball, let it rest for 10 minutes and then come back to it.

Rowlett, Texas

• builderdawg
    builderdawg Posts: 105
    Options
    Nice looking pie.  Pizza is one of my favorite things to cook on the egg.
  • builderdawg
    builderdawg Posts: 105
    Options
    I had the same issue with supermarket dough. Most supermarket dough doesn't hold up to extreme high heat.  Fortunately, good (egg friendly) dough is easy to make from scratch.  
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    I will forever be a disciple of your deep dish post from years ago.  

Your thin crusts look pretty solid though.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    That brat pizza...WOW!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Griffin
    Options
    SaltySam said:
    I will forever be a disciple of your deep dish post from years ago.  

Your thin crusts look pretty solid though.  
    Thanks, haven’t made one of those in a long time. Need to get it back in rotation 

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    Options
    thetrim said:
    That brat pizza...WOW!
    Just trying to use up leftovers. It was tasty. 

Rowlett, Texas