Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Piedmontese Ribeye

Options
I don't usually post cook because my only camera is my phone, and it sucks. Enjoy the pics.

I recently took a trade for half of a bill for some HVAC work. The customer raises Piedmontese cattle as sort of a hobby, and sells sides of beef on a preorder basis. He had a side that he hadn't sold, blah, blah, blah. The bill was $250, so I took $125 in cash and $125 in frozen beef.

"These cattle have very little intramuscular fat, but a very tender due to genetics." he told me. I was curious, but beef without marbling is called "Select" around here. So I got 10# of burger (it's really good), a roast, some sirloin, a strip steak, and this 1.75# bone-in-ribeye. 

I've been on a low carb diet for about ten months (down 55#) and meat without fat didn't sound "great", but I was to be alone tonight and only had the one ribeye, so I put some herbs from the garden and some butter from the Amish in a vac bag a stuck that thing in the sous vide at 132 while I went to work.

Egg to 550 with a full firebox of Basques, a chunk of white oak and the CI grate on the ring.

Seared and rested. No pretty plates in this post.

It was good. Not great. Very tender. More like filet than ribeye. Thanks for looking!
LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH

Comments

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    It looks really good. So was labor trade fair? Would you do it again? 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Fat is flavor and lean tenderloins are typically drenched in butter to compensate for the lean nature of the meat. No hard fast rule you  can't replace the fat with butter or some oil.

Looks good.
    I've had Piedmont beef at an upscale Italian place. I thought it was excellent. Now that I think of it, It did have a badass marsala/butter sauce all over it. That probably helped. The meat was super tender though.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    The cook looked awesome. I have had piedmont and it is fine.

I do red wine, onions,  mushrooms, garlic in a light cream sauce for cuts I roast that have little to no fat. Not necessary for serving, but it does add.

Great cook. Thank you for sharing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Looks great ... never had it.  Thanks for sharing 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Great post and cook.  Thanks for sharing.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    It looks really good. So was labor trade fair? Would you do it again? 
    Yes, it was fair. In fact, I probably came out a little ahead on this one, which is not the norm for 'trades in the trades'. I'd do it again. I probably will do it again as he'll need a water heater soon.

@YukonRon mentioned above when the leaves change. That should be very good.

The ground beef is spectacular. There is little intramuscular fat, but they still have an outer layer which was ground with the chuck, trim, etc. This makes outstanding smash burgers and meatloaf.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Thanks for the documentation and cook.  Based on that money shot, you nailed the cook. Congrats.   Fork placement for bonus points. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.