Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Applewood Smoked Turkey Breast

Droppedstang
Droppedstang Posts: 3
edited July 2019 in EggHead Forum
Tonight’s cook was a 4lb boneless turkey breast.  Due to me getting home late my wife actually started the cook in the oven.  After the “pre cook” I covered it in rub, cooked at 275 over applewood to bring it up to temp, and occasionally basted with butter.  The end result was fantastic and extremely juicy with just the right amount of smoke!  

Excellent rub for anyone who hasn’t tried it. 

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    Welcome.. That does look juicy and sound's amazing.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Turkey always comes out with to much smoke for me I wonder if the start in the oven helped prevent it take on to much smoke?

Looks good!!
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Bird looks great. Thanks for the suggestion with the rub
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Love a turkey on the egg... that one looks nice
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    @mlc2013 IME, it really depends on what type of wood you use with turkey. My primary selection is equal parts sugar maple and black cherry chunks. If I manage to get to the store and pick up some apple chunks, I'll usually make it a three way split (or as close as possible). Average of about two closed fist sized pieces of each wood (add a little more if only two types) works. 
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    @1911Man. I just got some black cherry a few days ago I never even knew it existed. I’m excited to try. I normally do hickory and or apple and use about 4-6 chunks so maybe it’s the hickory that through a off to much smoke. 
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    @mlc2013 From what I can recall of hickory (and mesquite) they can go from "good" to "overpoweringcrap" in a heartbeat depending on what you're cooking. I think I started using the sugar maple and black cherry combo a decade (or more) ago and haven't looked back. Apple is typically a mild enough wood that you can use that safely too. 

I smoke a whole turkey breast section each weekend to use for sammiches the following week. I get the fresh sections since the frozen have too much salt in them. Right now, I'm buying a case at a time and freezing them (they come in hard/frozen so it's safe). It takes at least a few days in the fridge to get them thawed out for smokin. 

I also use the sugar maple/black cherry combo for everything else I smoke on the BGE. This weekend is going to be a double session (planned for Saturday). First the turkey breast section, then a beef roast cut into large sections and smoked heavily. The beef is going into a batch of chili on Sunday. 

I get the flavor wood from Maine Grilling Woods. I don't recall how I found out about them, but I'm glad I did (all those years ago). ;)
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    1911Man said:
    @mlc2013 From what I can recall of hickory (and mesquite) they can go from "good" to "overpoweringcrap" in a heartbeat depending on what you're cooking. I think I started using the sugar maple and black cherry combo a decade (or more) ago and haven't looked back. Apple is typically a mild enough wood that you can use that safely too. 

I smoke a whole turkey breast section each weekend to use for sammiches the following week. I get the fresh sections since the frozen have too much salt in them. Right now, I'm buying a case at a time and freezing them (they come in hard/frozen so it's safe). It takes at least a few days in the fridge to get them thawed out for smokin. 

I also use the sugar maple/black cherry combo for everything else I smoke on the BGE. This weekend is going to be a double session (planned for Saturday). First the turkey breast section, then a beef roast cut into large sections and smoked heavily. The beef is going into a batch of chili on Sunday. 

I get the flavor wood from Maine Grilling Woods. I don't recall how I found out about them, but I'm glad I did (all those years ago). ;)
    My go to for smoking wood:
    Sugar Maple
    Oak
    Pecan
    Peach
    I really like peach for pork and fowl. Sugar Maple for fish, Oak and Pecan for beef.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky