Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT OT OT PSA Running out of lump can be bad for your well being. OT OT OT

Options
This actually has nothing to do with BGE yet everything to do BGE.

Lets go back 2 weeks:
I realize im down to my last bag of lump, so I order 10 bags of RW lump from Ace as they were having their sale. I picked it up in my van, and I had to run some errands that day so I strayed 50 miles from home. All of a sudden my power steering pump went causing a chain reaction of knocking off some belts ending in overheating. I was lucky enough to get to a service station just as the van started to overheat. I was leaving for vacation the next day, so I left my van there and Ubered home.

Fast forward to yesterday:
My wife pulled some steaks out of the freezer Monday night and asked me to cook them last night. I go to light the egg and realize I don't enough lump in grill and wait I have no lump in reserve. I forgot about the van in the shop which has 10 bags of lump in it (vacations tend to make me forget things). I call the shop and they're already closed for the night so that will have to wait until tomorrow (today).

Here is the dilemma I had my heart set on reversed seared steaks ever since my wife told me she took them out to defrost. I now preheat my oven to 250 and put the steaks in. In the mean time I break out my CI pan and start to preheat it on stove top. When the steaks reach 105 IT I pulled from oven and put them in the blazing hot CI pan. I get a slight flare up as I normally do, nothing to crazy. I then put a slice of butter on top each steak, as the butter melts and runs off the steaks I get a little flare up again nothing to big. 45 seconds pass and its time to flip the steaks. I flip the first steak and get small flare up again and then I flip the second steak and I hear a loud pop. The next thing I know, theres fire almost touching my kitchen ceiling and I feel my self burning so I stop drop and roll. When Im satisfied that im not on fire, I stand and grab the pan the steaks were in the oven with and try to smother the fire that is blazing about 3.5' above the pan. Here is where I my true colors shine through. The flame is to strong to smother or im just not strong enough to smoother it either way this isn't working. I look over at the counter and we have baking soda there so Im about to grab it and through it on the steaks but something inside me tells me not to. I am now using the pan as a shield and directing the flame into the overhead hood keeping it away form my ceiling. This goes on for about 45 seconds and then I realize the steaks are gong to burn so I grab the tongs and pull the steak from the CI pan and through on counter all the time holding the oven pan as a heat shield, still directing the flames into the hood. About 30 seconds pass and Im finely able to smoother the fire with the pan. 

Wow that was close for those of you that don't know me I lost my last house to Superstorm Sandy and was affraid I was going to loose this house to fire (I guess im just going to work down the element chart). I obviously wasn't scared enough that I would sacrifice 2 perfectly marbled prime ribeyes. 

Now that the fire is out I access the damage and there is grease everywhere and I mean everywhere. As I start to clean up the grease my wife walks in and says WTF happened. I just looked at her and she let it go. Its at that point in time that she tells me you know you have burns all over your face and arms, are you OK. Well apparently when I stopped dropped and rolled the burning sensation I was feeling wasn't fire but grease burning the crap out of my skin.

All in all the house cleaned up pretty good were going to have repaint the ceiling above the stove and my skin will heel.

The steaks were PERFECT!!!

This all could have been prevented had I bought 12 bags the load before instead of just 10. So I orderd another 2 bags today (not on sale ouch)

I do not have any pictures of the steak but have a few of my burns if anyone cares to look:

Yes I know my arms are hairy deal with it

and yes I know my head hair is thinning well actually from the front thinning but from the back bald

So I got 3 burns on my forehead 1 on my lip 2 on my chin 3 on my neck 6 on my right arm 4 on my left arm 1 one my right shoulder and 3 on my right leg and 2 on my scalp, a small price to pay for some of the best steak I ever had.

Sorry for the novel but can't explain it any other way.

I have done this method before and have not had this outcome. Has anyone ever had similar outcome or can anyone shed some light onto why this happened?

Long Island NY    
1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    DAMNNNN.. Glad the outcome wasn't more serious than just a mess and burns.. Hope you enjoyed your vacation.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I'm glad everything is okay. I am assuming you were cooking on a gas stove top? Did you have a lot of oil in the pan? I suppose it may have just been the oil from the butter you mentioned and the fat from the steaks that started a grease fire. 

Just a guess, but I am thinking when you flipped the steaks a blob of oil got splashed on the open flame, ignited and them popped back into the pan. Scary stuff for sure. 

Good for you for not throwing water on it- could have made things much worse! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Well, being a Medical/Clinical photographer for over 25 years, I can say you were very lucky all the way around. No meal is worth suffering burns to your person or home.
    Glad you are ok for the most part.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    johnmitchell bar harbor was beautiful they do a great fireworks display over the water.
    Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    Options
    I'm glad everything is okay. I am assuming you were cooking on a gas stove top? Did you have a lot of oil in the pan? I suppose it may have just been the oil from the butter you mentioned and the fat from the steaks that started a grease fire. 

Just a guess, but I am thinking when you flipped the steaks a blob of oil got splashed on the open flame, ignited and them popped back into the pan. Scary stuff for sure. 

Good for you for not throwing water on it- could have made things much worse! 
    yes could have been much worse im thinking that there might have been a muscle or something that wasn't letting the fat render out fo the steak and when I flipped the steak that the fat just boiled and exploded through the muscle making that pop sound. 

I put the steaks on a naked pan the only additive was butter besides the steaks fat
    Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Well, being a Medical/Clinical photographer for over 25 years, I can say you were very lucky all the way around. No meal is worth suffering burns to your person or home.
    you didn't try the steak LOL

You are correct it was stupid to not smother the fire in baking soda, im not sure what stopped me as that was my first instinct, things could have been much worse.

After talking to a local chef he also told me that I was lucky that my hood was relatively clean because had then been grease build up in there hood and duct would have ignited causing a house fire for sure.
    Long Island NY    
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    Photo Egg said:

After talking to a local chef he also told me that I was lucky that my hood was relatively clean because had then been grease build up in there hood and duct would have ignited causing a house fire for sure.
    Agree on the hood. That would have taken the house down in a few minutes.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    Options
    I think a George Foreman grill should be in your future. They're pretty harmless. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Moral of the Story - Running out of Rockwood can be dangerous to your health. 
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    I have to agree with SmokeyPitt's assessment on what happened.  Glad you (and your home) are ok, more or less.  I refuse to cook any high temp steak on the stovetop.  My crappy hood's ventilation would have my home filled with smoke in no time flat.  I've realized I was out of charcoal once at the last minute and just used wood chunks to grill the steak on the Egg.  Not efficient, but effective. 
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    WOW, hell of an experience, glad damage was minimal 
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Options

Are you just rubbing it in that you can cook on CI over high heat without burning yourself
    Long Island NY    
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    No.  I've burned myself with splatter and fire outside, not nearly as bad as you just did.  I'm just giving you ideas on options.  Unless you have a commercial kitchen  you should keep your searing dry inside or move it outside. 
    Options
    I have to figure out where to set up an outdoor kitchen. Been telling my wife for years that we need one. This just might be the push we (I) needed to make it happen. Although I do have a big gasser that I can probably use in the mean time. 
    Thanks for the ideas
    Long Island NY    
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Those banjo burners are pretty portable.   Easier to cleanup the ground splatter if you set up in the lawn than try to remove grease from a wood deck or concrete. 
    Options
    Banjo burner check. I guess that’s another item I didn’t know I needed. Did the flooding recede by you yet?
    Long Island NY    
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    in front of my house, yeah, maybe an hour after it stopped raining.  You don't need a fancy banjo burner like that one.  I have a cheap Amazon cast iron burner I bought for 30 bucks.  Also a turkey fryer burner works great, maybe 25 bucks.