Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What To Make might be a little OT

Okay we go camping every year and I normally bring my Large, this year we are going to a new spot Pickerel Point in Promised land state park. The problem is all the sites are walk in no drive up which means I can not just back up my truck and unload the large to where it's going to rest for the long weekend. 

The grounds to and from the parking lot are supposedly all uneven and unpaved making a rolling cart difficult as well. Im debating on bringing my MM, but not sure what I can cook on there that would feed 11-15 ppl.

So here is the question, any suggestions on foods that I can feed 11- 15 ppl with where the protein is loaded on the MM, I was thinking the go to turbo butt, but was hoping for something different. No overnights as it is not allowed and if the grill is lit someone has to remain at site the entire time (we normally all go on hikes or hit the lakes on boats and fishing etc during the day so cooking time is really emptied to 3-4 hours) so that something to think about as well.

Tools at our disposal while camping;
1. Each site has a fire ring with some sort of make shift grate on it to act as a wood burning BBQ, we have 5 sites but normally try to leave 1 site dedicated to eating and hanging and the other sites for tenting.
2. 17" blackstone (36" runs into the portability problem again) I was thinking breakfast and vegetables on here
3. small portable gasser coleman LXX
4. gas Pizza Oven Adore (again its small)
5. cast iron pans for the fire rings

We normally do a ribs and chicken night, a steak night (skirt/tri tip/flank), some sort of fish night, kielbasa and pierogi night, and a pizza night.  We normally have wings and sausages and hot dogs and burgers for lunch and midnight snacks. 

Any idea on a different food that won't take to long to cook and travels good in a cooler and that would fit in the MM or any of the cooking tools I listed above Im all ears.

Thanks in advance for your help were not going till 8/1 but I like to plan out my cooks so I know what I have to prep and etc.

Long Island NY    
1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    With little real estate and lots of people you need things that cook fast.  Steak or chicken fajita tacos, you can butterfly chicken half breasts and use a thin beef cut like skirt steak.
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Legume I was thinking of making a mexican night so that might be the winner
    Long Island NY    
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    You could do that butt and do some Sammie’s or fajitas with the pork. 
  • mlc2013
    pgprescott exactly what i was thinking doing a butt with mexican seasoning for fajitas and do the onions and peppers and on the blackstone

Long Island NY    
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    edited July 2019
    Has anyone tried a few skirt steaks in one of those upright rib thingies, veg on the Blackstone, and tacos for everyone?  (already a theme here)
    How about poke chops in the same upright rib thingie (URT)?  (bone-side down)  

Or, 7 loaves of Wonderbread, packets of ketchup and Taco Bell sauce, water, and tell 11-15 people this new campsite sucks?  
    This is what I would do, which is why I'm never invited anywhere.   =)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• mlc2013
    Botch I think we have a winner here. Now if I can only find wonder bread. LOL I have never tried a skirt steak in a rib rack that might be something I experiment with this weekend and see if it comes out good

Does any one have a kick ass mexican seasoning recipe mine sucks gotta find a new recipe
    Long Island NY    
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Have you considered some big hunk of good, boneless meat.  A pork loin roast or a beef tenderloin (or 2)?  I've made beef tenderloin sliders for tailgating a couple of times that were a big hit.  You can just get some blackening spice and melt some butter and blacken them on the Blackstone - sliced in 5/8" slices... or roast it on the minimax and slice at the end.  Take a little horseradish sauce and whatever else you want (onion, pickle, lettuce, tomato, whatever) - but much of that is what I would consider "optional" when doing hike-in camping.  I've done essentially the same with a pork loin roast and used a BBQ sauce instead of horseradish.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    It appears that there are paved parking areas. Is it possible to leave the large in or near the truck and cook in the parking lot? Just a thought.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited July 2019
    I would just cook a butt or two ahead of time. Pull it, vac seal, reheat on site in simmering water. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    i have done alot of wilderness camping by boat, put the stuff in the boat and unload it at the site. i bring a propane smoker for turkey dinners, butts etc, a grill,  a wood stove with 3 gallon hot water attached, a 14x22 foot safari tent, full sized cots with hanging racks, card table and chairs etc.   my boat looks just about sunk heading 18 miles up the lake. if theres a boat, bring what you need, bring more than you need
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mlc2013
    I would just cook a butt or two ahead of time. Pull it, vac seal, reheat on site in simmering water. 
    that is what I'm leaning to cooking a mexican rubbed butt or to and vacuum seal it then reheat at site and not even bring the MM. With that said I never tried that before so Im little nervous doing something new without a little practice before hand so I may have to give that a whirl this weekend as well.

Question after pulled and before sealing do you add any seasoning or marinade or liquid of any sort as to help keep moist in the bath to come, or do you add that after removed from bath?
    Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    It appears that there are paved parking areas. Is it possible to leave the large in or near the truck and cook in the parking lot? Just a thought.
    no campsite does not allow cooking in no designated areas and no cooking without someone in attendance the whole time
    Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    Foghorn said:
    Have you considered some big hunk of good, boneless meat.  A pork loin roast or a beef tenderloin (or 2)?  I've made beef tenderloin sliders for tailgating a couple of times that were a big hit.  You can just get some blackening spice and melt some butter and blacken them on the Blackstone - sliced in 5/8" slices... or roast it on the minimax and slice at the end.  Take a little horseradish sauce and whatever else you want (onion, pickle, lettuce, tomato, whatever) - but much of that is what I would consider "optional" when doing hike-in camping.  I've done essentially the same with a pork loin roast and used a BBQ sauce instead of horseradish.
    that's sat night diner (beef tenderloin sliders) were there for 5 nights and have 3-4 nights all planed out just looking for 1-2 more ideas

Long Island NY    
  • SmokeyPitt
    mlc2013 said:
    that is what I'm leaning to cooking a mexican rubbed butt or to and vacuum seal it then reheat at site and not even bring the MM. With that said I never tried that before so Im little nervous doing something new without a little practice before hand so I may have to give that a whirl this weekend as well.

Question after pulled and before sealing do you add any seasoning or marinade or liquid of any sort as to help keep moist in the bath to come, or do you add that after removed from bath?
    I try to pull and seal immediately and there is usually plenty of natural juice left in it. I have mixed some vinegar based sauce in with the pork if it seems a bit dry but it is usually not necessary. One other tip is I like to not pull it too finely (leave it a bit chunky) and IMO more moisture is retained and you can always pull it a little finer just before serving. 

I have made carnitas with leftover pulled pork and they were really good. I started by reheating the pork in simmering water to take the chill off, then I dumped the water out and put the pork in the same pot with some mojo at the bottom and kept it on very low heat to keep warm. Throw the pork in the skillet (or on the blackstone) and brown one side before adding it to the taco to add another layer of flavor. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• mlc2013
    SmokeyPitt do you let butt rest(FTC)  before pulling and bagging or straight off the grill?
    Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    im now going to research MOJO

Long Island NY    
  • SmokeyPitt
    mlc2013 said:
    SmokeyPitt do you let butt rest(FTC)  before pulling and bagging or straight off the grill?
    I do like to let it rest first. I will let it rest for about 20 minutes on the counter if I am ready to pull, or FTC it if I need to hold it longer. 

IMO, it will stay moist as long as it is whole. Once you start pulling it starts drying out so I like to get it in the bags ASAP after the pork is pulled. 

• mlc2013
    Thank you 
    Long Island NY