Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coleslaw - If you haven’t tried it.....

Options
....use Greek yogurt instead of mayo. 

Creamy, but lighter and much, much healthier than using mayo. 

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,756
    Options
    Great idea, thanks for sharing 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Great idea, thanks for sharing 
    Tried it on a whim several months back and haven’t felt the need to revert to mayo since. 
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    I don’t use mayo in my slaw either.  I use whipping cream which is from the original Brookville Hotel slaw recipe (search online). I get lots of comments when I serve it with bbq.
  • AprèsSki
    AprèsSki Posts: 131
    Options
    I've been making a variation of the recipe below for years. I usually add some grated sweet onion and carrot and a healthy splash of hot sauce.

I use my homemade full-fat yogourt instead of commercial 'greek' style. 

Guests love it.

https://twohealthykitchens.com/greek-yogurt-coleslaw 
    Firing up my XL Big Green Egg, KJ Jr. or Weber gasser in Salt Lake City
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Creamy, but lighter and much, much healthier than using mayo. 
    Not sure how it is "much much healthier".  Higher in saturated fats and cholesterol than mayo. You get more protein and calcium than mayo, but at the amounts used is it a big deal?  If using the proper mayo (Duke's) yogurt is higher in sugars.  Of course, nutritional info will vary some by brand and version of the product so comparisons can get a bit complicated.

Another option is a 50/50 combo of mayo and sour cream.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• jtcBoynton
    Options
    Like I said, depends on which bran and version of the products you compare.  Not all mayo or yogurt come with the same nutritional labels.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    usually make vinegar slaws, but try the greek yogurt in blue cheese salad dressing. it would work in a blue cheese slaw as well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I do a great Bleu Cheese cole slaw. If you want the recipe let me know.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    please post away, i could eat coleslaw every day
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,257
    edited July 2019
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Standing by. 😀

If you like blue cheese and wine (and I know that you do), try this. Take whole bulbs of garlic and slice the top off so that each clove is exposed. Place in a pan cut side up and pour in some white wine. Crumble blue cheese into the wine. Bake it until the garlic is tender and squeezes out of the bulbs effortlessly. Use fresh baguette to sop up the wine and blue cheese mixture and spread the garlic on top. Simple and phenomenal.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Like I said, depends on which bran and version of the products you compare.  Not all mayo or yogurt come with the same nutritional labels.
    So there are some mayos healthier than Greek yoghurts? If so, I’ve never seen them. 
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Bride of Teefus has the best recipe out there in my book. Equal parts Marzetti Original Slaw Dressing and Apple Cider Vinegar.  Dress it light, not sloppy. Throw in a bit of ground pepper to taste. Light and crisp. Never not yummy. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    Don't think that mayo is healthier than yogurt.  Rather that in the serving sizes for a side dish, yogurt just isn't always much much healthier.  Biggest issue with mayo is fat.  Just seems that the amount of fat in the cole slaw next to that yummy, fatty brisket or pulled pork is a minor concern.  One less bite of brisket will make up for the mayo.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    Teefus said:
    Bride of Teefus has the best recipe out there in my book. Equal parts Marzetti Original Slaw Dressing and Apple Cider Vinegar.  Dress it light, not sloppy. Throw in a bit of ground pepper to taste. Light and crisp. Never not yummy. 
    My wife also likes the Marzetti slaw dressing. It's a little too sweet for me but it's what she likes so that is what we use most of the time. I have tried cutting it with apple cider vinegar as I prefer vinegary things (her, not so much) but the dagger eyes I would get from her stopped further use.

One thing I add to the slaw that we both like is a nice tart green apple either in a fine dice or matchsticked.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    letting you know
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Teefus said:
    My wife also likes the Marzetti slaw dressing. It's a little too sweet for me but it's what she likes so that is what we use most of the time. I have tried cutting it with apple cider vinegar as I prefer vinegary things (her, not so much) but the dagger eyes I would get from her stopped further use.

One thing I add to the slaw that we both like is a nice tart green apple either in a fine dice or matchsticked.
    The things we do (or stop doing) to maintain domestic tranquility  =)

Adding an apple sounds like a good plan. We'll have to give that a try next time.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • lerxst6
    lerxst6 Posts: 6
    Options
    Broccoli slaw is a nice switch too. We just buy that precut and add a little slaw dressing. We always to low on the dressing. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    edited July 2019
    Options

Options
    Fake news!