Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Franklin BBQ Experience

Options
We headed down from Mansfield Friday after my wife and I both got off work.  Had to make the normal stop at Slovaceks on the way.  Procured myself some beef sticks and a couple of chicken salad sandwiches for the remainder of the drive.  We stayed at the Sheraton downtown which is just on the other side of 35 from Franklin.  I would definitely stay somewhere else next time but we've never really stayed in Austin before.  Woke up early and were in line at 6:50 or so.  We were 80 deep at this point I'm assuming partly due to the holiday weekend.  We set up shop and began our wait.  The people around us were all really great which adds so much to this experience.  The guy next to us was a BBQ coach for a High School competition team in Georgia (shout out to BBQ Pit Vipers) who was with his buddies on a tour of America's greatest bbq joints.  Anyway, I'm not going to do a big write up as I know a lot of you have already been there and have written and read about it numerous times.  But it's truly a great experience.  Aaron himself was super cool and very willing to take pictures or sign whatever you wanted.  The same can be said for his entire staff.  Is this something I'm going to do every weekend?  Probably not.  But a couple of times a year at least I would really enjoy it.  The first bite of brisket that the guy cut for us was the best piece of meat I've ever put in my mouth and it's not particularly close.  Overall, I give this experience a 10 out of 10 and would recommend to anyone that enjoys barbecue and just food in general.  Also, make sure to check out the smoker room!

Just an Ole Miss Rebel fan living in Texas.
Hotty Toddy!
Mansfield, TX

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Great write-up.  You captured my experiences every time I have been there.  I would make it a bucket list item for any serious BBQ enthusiast. 
    Great trip and even better eats.  Congrats.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options

Adding it to the Bucket List right now...

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Awesome!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    It is on my bucket list as well. Hopefully one day I will make it out! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Awesome. Glad you enjoyed our fine town in your visit. Aaron is such a generous guy. Always a fun day when you can take 4-5 hours to luxuriate over bbq. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    thanks for the write up
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,950
    Options
    Love it!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I've been to Austin so many times and still haven't done it. My buddy lives like 2 miles or less from Valentina's trailer and there is no more than 30 minute wait there.  

I gotta just do it. My friends that live in Austin have never done it. But convincing them is hard. I may just go alone next time I go visit.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I've been to Austin so many times and still haven't done it. My buddy lives like 2 miles or less from Valentina's trailer and there is no more than 30 minute wait there.  

I gotta just do it. My friends that live in Austin have never done it. But convincing them is hard. I may just go alone next time I go visit.
    Give me shout and I’ll do it with you if I can. I’ve never done it either and I’m in Austin frequently. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Great write up and thanks for sharing.  Love that shirt Aaron is wearing.  What's the green stuff that looks like waxed jalapenos?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• aem
    aem Posts: 146
    Options

There are so many good BBQ places in Austin, I don't have the patience to wait in line 4 hours. 
  • TexasRebel
    TexasRebel Posts: 100
    Options
    Great write up and thanks for sharing.  Love that shirt Aaron is wearing.  What's the green stuff that looks like waxed jalapenos?
    Pickled Jalapenos.  May just be my phone's camera that made them look weird. 
    Hotty Toddy!
    Mansfield, TX

• TexasRebel
    Options
    aem said:

There are so many good BBQ places in Austin, I don't have the patience to wait in line 4 hours. 
    I've eaten at several of the other joints in and around Austin and Franklin's brisket is just flat out better.  Not to knock any of the other spots but IMHO it's the truth.  Yes, waiting in that crazy line is a deterrence for most sane people.  Me included.  But it was honest to God a good time sitting there with like-minded people and just talking about BBQ for a few hours.  It's kinda like if everyone in this forum was sitting in a parking lot with you. 
    Hotty Toddy!
    Mansfield, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    aem said:

I've eaten at several of the other joints in and around Austin and Franklin's brisket is just flat out better.  Not to knock any of the other spots but IMHO it's the truth.  Yes, waiting in that crazy line is a deterrence for most sane people.  Me included.  But it was honest to God a good time sitting there with like-minded people and just talking about BBQ for a few hours.  It's kinda like if everyone in this forum was sitting in a parking lot with you. 
    In the times I’ve been, Valentina’s was #2 followed by Rudy’s, of all places. Wish I had the opportunity to try places more often.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Thank you for sharing!  I have a place 1.5 hours from Austin, no excuse not to do this.  I have driven by and taken pictures, though.  I just returned his "Steak" book to the library, interesting read, learned a lot about beef.  His 'sides' recipes from both books are spot on.
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    That tray looks amazing!  Thanks for the write up!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SciAggie said:

Give me shout and I’ll do it with you if I can. I’ve never done it either and I’m in Austin frequently. 
    me too! I'm always game to do dumb stuff in the name of bbq. I guarantee that if you put up the bat signal on here when you go, you won't be in line alone
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,950
    Options
    For anyone who hasn’t been, I strongly recommend going the day after an ice storm, when nobody except Uber drivers are willing to brave the streets.  The line tends to be short!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    Options
    For those in the Austin area, in the colder weather (not necessarily ice storm) season the line is definitely a crap-shoot.  I was there in early Dec '16 rolling into town around noon after visiting friends that lived north of Houston.  Goal was Valentina's and since I was staying just up the street from Franklin's my route went right by his place. 
    Suffice to say after enjoying Valentina's I saw a very short line at Franklin's.  Parked the car and walked down to spend around 30 minutes in line and then finish the brisket meat coma overload.  Oh yes, back the next day for more meat coma and the line experience.  Definitely worth it if you want great brisket and a chance to talk with the pope. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Better than Arby‘s
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    SciAggie said:

me too! I'm always game to do dumb stuff in the name of bbq. I guarantee that if you put up the bat signal on here when you go, you won't be in line alone
    +1
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Awesome... thanks for sharing 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SmokeyLopey
    SmokeyLopey Posts: 435
    Options
    I have a sister in Austin I need to visit...this may convince me to visit sooner rather than later--although they like Valentinas!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @SmokeyLopey Valentina's is great, especially whatever they call that breakfast tortilla loaded with stuff and fresh brisket.  You can easily do both in any day as Valentina's opens at 7:30 AM (closed Tues) and Franklin's not til 11.
    Go big or go home.  That is a great double-header right there! 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @SmokeyLopey Valentina's is great, especially whatever they call that breakfast tortilla loaded with stuff and fresh brisket.  You can easily do both in any day as Valentina's opens at 7:30 AM (closed Tues) and Franklin's not til 11.
    Go big or go home.  That is a great double-header right there! 

That would be the "Real Deal Holyfield" taco.

• stever1888
    stever1888 Posts: 14
    Options
    Not to hijack a Franklin BBQ thread, but it cannot be stressed enough that the Real Deal Holyfield is THE REAL DEAL.  Holy moly.

LSG 20x42 offset, LBGE, 36" BS griddle, and more.  Piedmont Triad, North Carolina.
  • TexasRebel
    Options
    I actually used leftover Franklin brisket for some breakfast tacos the following morning.  Aged cheddar, scrambled egg, and homemade hot sauce.  No potatoes though but that looks freaking amazing.
    Hotty Toddy!
    Mansfield, TX

• SmokeyLopey
    SmokeyLopey Posts: 435
    edited July 2019
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker @lousubcap : Looks good--although it sounds like I would be 4pm getting through Franklin's line if I got such a late start by having breakfast at Valentina's. To amend my comment...it looks great!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @SmokeyLopey Mid-week no issue.  Valentina's upon opening.  You can be in line at Franklin's by 9:30 AM at the latest.  Likely no more than 60-70 people ahead of you.  Best daily double food-wise I have ever experienced.  Worth the run to savor the best in brisket.  Go for it!  FWIW-