Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Wood in Ft Worth, TX

So going to Ft Worth this weekend for a week of visiting the wife's family.  Figured I'd pick up some wood for smoking on the egg while I'm down there as we are driving from VA.  Anyone in the DFW area have a go to place to get wood for smoking besides the home depots and lowes big box stores of course?  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited July 2019
    Drive up to Denton at see Tom at Ceramic Grill Store!

EDIT:  Also, if you get a chance to go downtown Ft Worth to see the waterfall park, or take the self-guided tour of the Bureau of Engraving & Printing just north of town, both are well worth it!!

• vthokie98
    vthokie98 Posts: 25
    I usually hit the CGS store when we go down for a yearly week trip.  Last time I was there they were purging their wood chunks and moving towards pellets.  Will see if that is still the case when I stop by this trip.  Wanted to be prepared with other options if the CGS has stopped selling chunks etc.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited July 2019
    Premier Grilling has multiple locations around DFW.  Then BBQ Outfitters is in Southlake, and Charred is in Argyle......both of those are fairly close to Ft Worth.  Lots of options!
  • vthokie98
    AWESOME!  Exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks for the info
  • vthokie98
    Drive up to Denton at see Tom at Ceramic Grill Store!

EDIT:  Also, if you get a chance to go downtown Ft Worth to see the waterfall park, or take the self-guided tour of the Bureau of Engraving & Printing just north of town, both are well worth it!!

FYI.  Thanks for this information as well.  We will more than likely have the wife's grandkids a good bit of the week and things like this will help to keep them entertained...not to mention it looks cool
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    I live in Southlake and buy my smoking wood and Rockwood at BBQ Outfitters.  Very friendly store with excellent svc.  
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • smbishop
    edited July 2019

FYI.  Thanks for this information as well.  We will more than likely have the wife's grandkids a good bit of the week and things like this will help to keep them entertained...not to mention it looks cool
    The Fort Worth Zoo is awesome.  There is also the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History, great place for kids, and the Stock Yards daily cattle drive...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    Just south of Fort Worth. Worth the drive

https://www.gourmetwood.com/
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Well if we are making Ft. Worth Suggestions. Definitely go to Heim BBQ and get the Bacon Burnt Ends.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• smbishop
    Well if we are making Ft. Worth Suggestions. Definitely go to Heim BBQ and get the Bacon Burnt Ends.
    Thank you for sharing this!
  • If you are in a truck google for a fire wood guy and buy a small stack of post oak firewood. Cut it down yourself. This is what I do. Almost all the store-bought stuff is going to be kiln dried so you can order that anywhere. Maybe the place @proser suggests is a wood yard and you can buy some air dried wood to cut down. Makes a huge difference in flavor. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • vthokie98
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  Wood and kiddo entertainment spots!  I got some research to do.  
  • vthokie98

Great suggestion on this place.  Picked up 150lbs of wood chunks.  Cherry. Pecan. Post oak and mesquite!!!  We also stopped at railhead for lunch.  Ribs and brisket were tasty.  And the shiner bock hit the spot!