Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coffee Rub-- Time sensitive question

Options
This might sound like a dumb question ---

Does a coffee rub taste like coffee at all ?   

My wife hates coffee, so I am reluctant to try it on a 12# Packer Brisket that I am going to cook over night. 

If the consensus is, No, it does not taste like coffee, then I might give it a try.    

What is your favorite Coffee Dry Rub recipe?  I found a few on line. 

Note: What ever it is, I will be leaving out Cumin if it is in the recipe.  I am not a fan of it.  

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    You are leaving out the cumin because you taste it and are not a fan. Coffee in a rub doesn’t taste like a cup of coffee, but it adds a coffee flavor. The same is true of onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, smoked paprika or whatever - it adds a distinct flavor. How much you taste it depends on how sensitive your taste buds are and your flavor preferences. You are probably best served to omit the coffee. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • GaryDZ
    GaryDZ Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks...   I will most likely leave it out.  I will try it on something smaller like a steak

Yes, not a fan of Cumin ---  I must be very sensitive to the taste.  I tried cutting the amount to 1/4  and the taste was still overwhelming.  If my wife is that way with coffee, she will hate it. 

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    I'm a big Mickey's Coffee Rub fan, but I don't use it on beef, though I know others do. I also don't care for coffee, and I don't think that flavor profile shows up (I use on pork and poultry).
    Stillwater, MN
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,469
    Options
    I love splitting different ingredients and techniques to try them side-by-side in the same cook; this is easier with chicken parts and not so easy with a brisket, but you can try cutting 4" or so off a corner, rub it with the coffee concoction, and toothpick it back onto the full brisket, and let SWMBO try it.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Did some kabobs this evening and used a heave dose of coffee rum. No complaints fro the no coffee drinking Mrs. I hope that helps.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow